One More Kumite Thread...

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Brian Barry

One More Kumite Thread...

Post by Brian Barry »

Starting a new thread to keep the answer from clogging up any other threads. There has been lots of discussion on whether or not prearranged kumite has any merit, and there seems to be a general consensus that it is a useful but limited tool if done correctly. However, there is general dissatisfaction coming from many of us toward the kumite exercises we now do.

I would like to go from here assuming that there is value in prearranged kumite and that our present dan and kyu kumite may not be perfect. Lets discuss what we would find in an improved kumite exercise. A few directions we can go with this.

1.) Some here are familiar with the kumite exercises used by other Uechi organizations. I believe that Zankai and Shohei-ryu have their own kumite drills. Anyone familiar with anything of that type could discuss those drills and let us know whether or not you see the same limitations in them that have been discussed in Dan Kumite, or if there are aspects to them that you think we need to include.

2.) People who have practiced other styles outside of Uechi, if you have any such drills, please tell us what they are like. And if you are familiar with Uechi, tell how the principles used in them can be applied by us.

3.) Some have created your own drills. If you are willing to share about them, please!

4.) We can discuss how to incorporate the footwork seen in advanced Uechi kata into kumite drills.

5.) Another thing to consider is how to incorporate fighting at different ranges.

6.) Should there be cooperation between partners or should we make the situation more adversarial? How do we do this?

7.) You get the picture. Anything else that seems appropriate, go for it.

Lets discuss the aspects of an ideal kumite drill, not complain about the ones already in existence. With all our heads combined, enough ideas could be layed out for people to begin formulating new drills to supplement those already existing.
Brian Barry
Shodan, Uechi-ryu
barrybj1@gcc.edu
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Brian

One more thing... Don't forget that the Kenyukai folks have their own yakusoku kumite.

I will reserve my comments for later.

- Bill
2Green

Post by 2Green »

I would vote for Kumites based upon current and commonly-seen attack modes. Forget "Karate" attacks, the attacker should be representing the common slugger or gangbanger. No attacker is going to lunge or reverse-punch you, the victim.
It is the defender who should be taught how to ADAPT traditional defense techniques to counter CURRENT attack styles.
Modern weapons have new modes of physical action for assault.
Using an extendable baton, a stungun, knife, pepperspray, a slingshot, a tire-thumper, a hockey stick,etc.; these are more likely scenarios of attack nowadays.
Modern kumites could incorporate attackers using modern street weaponry and develop practice scenarios for these, and not just one specific defense per attack.
Did the original kumites not reflect the attack styles of their day?
(I don't know the answer, I'm a student myself.)

Another possibility is that the traditional kumites were designed not to program defense response, but to preserve/ingrain/demonstrate the style, for purposes specific to perpetuating the style, not to real self defense.
So perfecting them would be style-serving, not defense-serving.

I really don't know the answers, I'm just throwing in some observations from a student's perspective for the thread.

NM
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

heres the basis of the drills I do , there always changing and adapting but it`ll give you the idea , is nothing like a repetitve striking drill though

I do a flinch to a positional attack

ex

Inside the attack hook or jab

Outside the attack hook or jab etc

do with kicks etc anything

then my interpretation of the positional defences , Inside I fill the space and attack to the head/neck covering the other arm , while hopefully controlling the first attacking arm , then I drill an application , throw , kneck take down , pressure point move etc , endless variations , but the set up is always similar .

Outside is the same but try grab pull the other arm to cover attack the head/neck, hopefully balance is broken , follow ups armbars , leg sweeps , knees , lots of takedown etc etc . but all from a similar position

These drills can be worked to any attacks , the lesson is the odds , doing something first thatll lesson the chances of there next move , positional awareness .

the only real variation I do I call the transfer , this I do with a variation of a Shotokan Uechi Uke , but this is how I see your circle block thingy working ;) , your start on the outside or inside , and decide you want to change to the other , you use this move to go from one to the other , transfering the arm an d swapping position , you can incorporate bobbing , weaving and slipping , the transfer itself can be a throw , joint lock etc , or just a transfer , can break balance , and you have all the options of either side .

I know these dont sound like static drills , there not , but they have a commen theme in the positional awareness , where you are and where your going , footwork is totally up to the individual , if it works they can keep it , if it dont they have to change ;) , the applications tagged on are endless , once again if it works . Lots of room for interpretation/freedom but the commen glue holds them together , the flinches are standard blocks as i see it in our curricullum *where did the blocks come from?* , the positional strategys straight from the kata , and the applications/bunkai too

Individuality and stylistic representation all in a free and open few drills , without any real limitations , If it dont work it gets changed , and you know what if it does I gaurantee youve found a principal and or tactic .

Just my look on a training method
mikemurphy

kumite

Post by mikemurphy »

Different kumite would be great; however, breaking from what you have would be difficult I think. Even the other Uechi organizations who have created their "own" kumite did not go out of the "Uechi" mode (for the lack of a better label).

If people did create kumite that was more "realistic" as Van sensei espouses, I think that would be a good thing too, but once again, let's ask ourselves the question, how many instructors out there are qualified to come up with anything remotely "un-Uechi" in philosophy? I'm not trying to sound or be insulting to anyone, but we have all spent many years training Uechi-ryu or some dirivitive and to suddenly be thrown a different philosophy could be tough. I teach and train both Uechi and Jujitsu, and it sends you in two different directions sometimes. I don't know if I could come up with something that everyone would agree would be "realistic." Joe Pomfret teaches and trains Uechi, BB Jujitsu, and NHB fighting. Could he come up with something "realistic?" What do those out there like Bill and Van Sensei think "realistic" is? I suppose we should ask that first, because in my mind, what you saw on TV the other day with the guy being suckered is realistic. How do you prepare yourself for that? GOOD LUCK! I teach at a high school and see on an average 5 - 10 fights per year and they all generally start with a sucker-punch and then turn into a wrestling match. Should we come up with a kumite that includes wrestling too?

Well, just some ramblings on my part, but my honest opinion is that I think more kumite would be fun, but would it really be better than what we got? Probably not in the long run. A while ago I made a video with an expansion on bunkai. It put good joint manipulations and throwing into the mix of kata interpretation. It was good fun, but how useful was it? I don't know.

Oh well, sorry for the negativity, just my observations.

mike
IJ

Post by IJ »

Observation #1.... it's easier to critique a kumite than to write one! (I know, I've tried both)

Observation --or question-- #2.... we generally consider ourselves Karate-DO, not Karate-JUTSU... do we lose anything by excising the traditional drills that are part of the fun for many people (are we just a self defense club)? Or do we resume a tradition of adaptation (the past masters didn't do it for "tradition," we presume). If we can remove a kumite because it doesn't fit the times, can we change the kata? Why are they sacred? The masters adjusted them, didn't they? I recall previous discussions on Suparempi and how it changed like clouds... it's a Japanese / American thing to cement the way drils are done in stone. Of course, we can ask if the Kumite we know are "really" traditional drills anyway since many are relatively young.

One of my suggestions is that along with drills that explore self defense, 2003 topics, and keeping some that ilustrate the past, we also expect students to explore and design on their own. I've fiddled with a lot of drills and kata and they have pretty much all gone by the wayside, but they all taught me a whole lot.
--Ian
gmattson
Site Admin

Good point Ian. . .

Post by gmattson »

I have often created drills and twice dabbled in "forgettable" kata. By all means, create something new and better if you can. This is a far more productive process than simply saying "I don't like this" or "it won't work against Joe Pomfret!" :)

I have a simple formula for changing things. Its called the "stick" factor:

1. Create something new, exciting and better.

2. Teach it, publish it, nurture it.

3. In five years, count how many people still do it. If more than ten people still do it, the technique has "stuck"!

Finally. . .

4. Do you still do it?
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
mikemurphy

kumite

Post by mikemurphy »

Sensei,

I still practice and teach Nijirokku 8O

GO FIGURE!

mike
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

:)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Thaws

Training for the random

Post by Thaws »

In Amok, we approach attack scenarios as either possible or probable(as any attack is possible, but some are more probable) so we work the probable attacks. Our key to working counters to random attacks is reacting out of ones' relative body, hand, and foot positions at the "oh sh-t!" moment. Training oneself to go with that instinctive defensive flinch and attack with it(or at least from it), recognising that the attack is high, middle or low. By disregarding the defensive tendency and counter attacking, the assaillant's priorities change.
So how do we train for this. Well, after working the mechanics of the counter technique, we drill in a relaxed random scenario. I'm just hangin' when attacked from(where?)Does the technique work from my relative positioning? what adjustments must be made?What is the follow up(this is the most important, as the followup might be what gets in and ultimately saves you)? After a while one realizes what techniques work best from what ever your positioning.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Okay, so here is a write up of my school’s Reactive Kumite (we also have a Proactive Kumite).

And Mike no one has to like or do our Kumites. :D

People wanted to know if any had been created out there so here they are.

This will be an incredibly long post so if any would prefer the word version just email me at:

wilson@wilsonkarate.com

(Plus the fonts and set up is cooler.)

There is a considerable write up prior to the actual Kumite descriptions because the principles intended to be taught are gone over.

Wilson Karate School Reactive Kumite

This Kumite was initially developed by Rick Wilson, Rick Bottomley and Tony Fell as training drills to practice defensive principles and skills. Later on, David Chow added his insights to these drills. I (Rick Wilson) further altered the movements to reflect my use of the Wauke. Each drill or move is designed to teach a defensive principle and practice specific fighting skills to execute these principles. The primary protective principles taught are:

1. Avoid the attack
- Absorption
- Slipping
- Closing
- Body slipping

2. Divert the attack and strike.
- Different approach to the use of the Wauke
- Striking derived from the Kata
- Flowing and continuous follow-up.

3. Beat the attack
- Attack the Weapon
- Attack the Aggressor
- Attack the Intent
- Attack the Preparation

4. Control
- Use the sticking hands of Uechi to always contact and control the aggressor
- Use the void to take the aggressor’s balance

Although the description of each move specifies what stance the aggressor and respondent should be in, it should be noted that these defences can be adapted to whatever stance the aggressor or respondent begins in. In fact, most of these drills are adaptable to whether the attack is with the lead or rear weapon (punch or kick) or whether the attack is a punch or kick. To add variety to our classes and emphasize that the principle is more important than the technique, we eventually vary the attacking weapon or starting stances. It is our goal that the techniques work whether they are done right or wrong. It is really a degree of effectiveness or preference.

When teaching these drills, you must consider whether a senior or junior student is being taught. A junior student needs to be taught as described in the text as they are just learning the skills and need not be confused by variations. A senior student should know most of the principles and be allowed to explore this Kumite. For example, what works best on big Vs small persons, hit high/ low/ front/ back, what the best weapon, target, etc.

 The Kumites are designed in a specific progression of skills through absorption to slip to close to combinations.

 The Kumites are also designed so that as your skill level rises you can go back and do them with slipping and closing or body slipping as opposed to absorption.

 The Kumites are also taken to a higher level when the knee work is added.

Generic skills

To get the most effectiveness out of this Kumite, the student should also develop and utilise the following generic skills. These skills are common to most of these drills and have applications outside of this Kumite.

1. The first skill to develop is that the strike leads the body.

2. The second skill to develop is the ability to use your knees to drive the body into each strike, and to have a connected strike. It allows the fluid transfer of mass into the strike dramatically increasing its force.

3. The third skill is to anchor your strike to your feet; usually the rear foot this allows the connection tot he ground that increases the effectiveness of the strike.

4. The fourth skill is to use multiple strikes when you attack or counter an attack.

5. The fifth skill is to pick and vary the targets that you strike. Low/ high, front/ back, etc.

6. The Sixth skill to develop is to be comfortable using weapons other than the fist

7. The seventh skill to develop is the ability to hit back when struck unexpectedly.

8. To be consciously uncomfortable when your hands are not in the guard position. All the exercises assume the respondent has their hands up in the guard position.

9. To seize the initiative and go on the aggressor the first opportunity you have. To be on the defensive is to be the loser in this self defence encounter.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Once the student becomes comfortable with the movements then only the avoidance and initial contact need remain the same. The follow up to that initial movement can then vary as long as it is continuous, flowing, effective and logical.

Description of the motions of the Wauke

As the new version of the WKS Kumite involves my perspective on the use of the Wauke, it is appropriate to include a description of the movement and the terms used. This forms a portion of an article I am preparing for (attempted) publication.

Both arms are involved in a proper Wauke.

I will refer to them as MAJOR and MINOR arms; however, this does not refer to importance only size of movement. I will break the movements of the Major and Minor arms down into movements One, Two and Three for each arm. References throughout this article will then refer back to this break down (i.e. Major arm movement One or Minor arm movement Two). I will then show how these movements work together. Although the Wauke is broken down for this description, done properly it flows from beginning to end.

This description has both arms beginning in a Sanchin Kumite position (elbows in front of the body about a fist and thumb distance from the body, arms bent forward slightly over ninety degrees, hands formed in tiger like positions and rotated over with palms forward and fingers flaring to the outside of the body – like gripping the handle bars on a motorcycle).

There are always variations that form through a style as it spreads across the world. This is how I perform the Wauke. To apply what will be discussed in this article whatever manner in which you perform your Wauke would work just as well.

The MAJOR arm (in this example the right arm)

Movement One: Drops downward and the palm rotates in towards the body so that the hand is slightly rotated with the palm angled to the outside of the body (thumb/palm rotates in towards the body). The arm has now dropped so that it is inline with the outside right edge of the body. This is accomplished with the knees (but that is another article, I will leave the body mechanics for another day).

Movement Two: The arm then is moved left across the body until the outer edge of the hand is inline with the outside left edge of the body. The palm begins to rotate back so that it is directly facing the body.

Movement Three: The arm then begins to rise and follow an elliptical pattern out away from the body. This ellipse is set on an inclined plane with the top portion tipping away from you. The arm moves along this ellipse with the forearm shear/cutting a path up and outward. As the arm shears through the top portion of the ellipse, it drops/rips back into Sanchin position. The ellipse should never exceed the edge of your body but should cover shoulder width and head high (it is like tracing an outline of your body).

The MINOR arm (left arm in this example)

Please note that in the full Wauke movement the Major and Minor arms will move simultaneously and match the movements One, Two and Three respectively:

Movement One: The forearm is brought across the body to the left until it reaches the centre line.

Movement Two: The arm begins to rotate the palm inward and circles until the palm passes in front of the face ending at the left edge of the body (fingers pointing up). This is the movement that is often used to chamber the strike.

Movement Three: The arm rotates rolling/circling back out into Sanchin position.

A word on Shearing

This Kumite also cannot be performed properly without an understanding of the principle of shearing.

I believe shearing is an important part of Uechi Ryu. Shearing is the cutting of one part of your body into and through a portion of the aggressor’s body. This can accomplish many things:

1) A shearing motion is hard to resist. Pressure applied directly, can be countered by a pressure placed in direct opposition. A shearing action is constantly shifting the angle at which you are applying pressure. This makes it much more difficult to counter. An example is often seen in the Dan Kumite take down where many shear the forearm across their partner’s thigh to take them down.

2) Shearing hits at an oblique angle and if that angle is correct (taking the aggressor into the void) it makes takedowns much easier.

3) Shearing when used to intercept a strike means that you intercept the strike at ONE point on the aggressor’s limb, but you spread your contact all along your intercepting bone (forearm or shin). This means you can take a lot more impact without damage, while still inflicting damage on the aggressor’s limb.

4) Shearing when used as a strike can penetrate more than one spot on the aggressor. I can cut into and through the aggressor’s muscles. Try delivering a roundhouse kick with proper mass (dropping your body weight into it – time on target). Now do the same mass kick but cut the shin in and through along their thigh. Now the point of impact is spread out through the muscle and you can separate the muscle itself with the strike.

5) Most Uechika practice shearing all the time. Kotakitia (sp?) or Arm Rubbing and Pounding, the arm rubbing portion IS shearing. You are learning to cut your forearm through your partner’s.

6) The most common occurrence of shearing in Uechi Ryu is on movement number three of the major arm in the Wauke. This “circling” action can be used to cut out striking into an opponent.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Throw a right rear front kick at the respondent’s midsection.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Drop back and off line with the rear foot into horse stance to avoid the attack. Use the left major arm movement two of the Wauke to deflect the kick after it reaches the point of extension.

Sliding up and forward into left Sanchin (your left knee should impact and contact the aggressor’s legs) use the third movement of the Major arm of the Wauke to slip up striking the head of the aggressor with the forearm (note the trajectory of the third movement must be altered to slip past the aggressor’s arms. The Minor (right) arm of the Wauke controls the aggressor’s right arm to extend and use your body to apply a lock.

This will bend the aggressor backwards over your body and open them to a takedown.

The follow-ups can vary. The right hand is free to shoken to the now spread and open ribs of the aggressor.

The left hand can roll the aggressor’s head into position for and elbow strike.

Key points:

1. The defensive principle we are learning is to "Avoid the Attack" through absorption by dropping back to maintain a safe distance and gain time in which to act. This defence could also be done by stepping through into a right stance. This would be used if the aggressor has especially long kicking range. Usually in the case of a tall aggressor Vs a short respondent.

2. The extended leg (kick) can be considered a long lever with respect to the supporting foot on the floor. This enables us to divert the kick using very little force.

3. The first move of the Major arm of the Wauke isn't a block but a method to divert the kick away to expose the aggressor’s side and rear. The defence will work without using this technique. Do not strike directly at the kick. Apply when the kick is at or near full extension.

4. The goal is to obtain the aggressor’s back.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a left lead hand strike at the respondent’s head.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Slide step to the rear and right (diagonally curving back and around the strike) with the right rear foot to avoid the punch. The forward foot should slide to the rear right as well, following the rear foot and maintaining Sanchin stance. This is absorbing around the force of the strike. (You should end in Sanchin with your toes pointing at the aggressor’s centre.) As you step, do a left (small diameter) circle block utilizing both arms in the ending of the third move of the Major arm of the Wauke diverting the punch to your left and rear exposing the aggressors left side. Think of a tiger pouncing.

Step and slide forward to a right Sanchin to gain the rear of the aggressor immediately do a left lead hand strike to the aggressors head. This can be done is a controlling fashion or as a boshikens strike. The right hand should be used to either catch the head (always be able to control the decent of the aggressor to the ground because most unintended deaths in a fight are due to the back of the head hitting the ground) or as a simultaneous right boshiken to the rear of the aggressor’s head.

Slipping behind the aggressor use their shoulders as the fulcrum by placing your forearms over them. Hook your hands in Sanchin position under the sides of the chin of the aggressor. Slipping backwards drop your elbows into Sanchin taking the aggressor down. (Be very careful to control the aggressor’s neck so that it does not bend. You are dropping their entire upper body backwards, the neck should not bend in this move or extensive damage might be done.)

It is important to note that the second move is done as a quick bounce out of the first movment.

Key Points:

1. The defensive principle we are learning is to "Avoid the Attack" by stepping away from the attack diagonally Vs straight back. In addition to gaining us time and distance, we get out of the line of attack.

2. The circle block is more of a guide leading the aggressor to intercept our lead hand fist. It takes advantage of the fact that the aggressor’s line of attack will miss our body due to the diagonal step. The “pounce” will attack their balance.

3. The lead hand strike is used to stun the aggressor setting up the take down.

Aggressor

Start in left stance. Throw a right reverse punch at the respondents head stepping through into a right stance.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Pivot on the ball of your left (forward) foot clockwise dropping your right rear foot back and off line. Simultaneously throw a left heel palm strike or uppercut into the aggressor’s right ribs. Your aggressor will impale his right rib upon your strike. The right hand performs the Minor Arm movement Two of the Wauke to deflect the strike.

Option one: Slide forward letting the right hand follow the line of their arm for a heel palm strike to the chine. Then hook the chin to pull in back as you drop the elbow into Sanchin to take them down.

Option Two: Pivot your body counter clockwise as you throw a right ridge hand to the solar plexus or groin. Finish by pivoting clockwise while throwing a left elbow to the head or kidneys if they are taller than you.

Key points:

1. The defensive principle we are learning is to "Avoid the Attack" by absorbing the punch (attack). There are two methods. The first method is to pivot on the forward foot as the rear foot (right) moves from the right side of the forward foot towards the left side. This clockwise pivot moves the centreline of your body out of the line of attack. The centreline displacement is approximately 50 % of the distance that the rear foot moves as it is half way between the forward and rear foot. This is still effective as all the movement is at right angles to the line of attack. Only move as much is necessary to avoid the attack as the force of the upper cut drops with increased movement. This is because the upper cut's strike is less in line with the aggressor's line of attack and therefore utilises less of the aggressor’s momentum.

The second method is to pivot the upper body out of the way of the punch without moving the feet. When doing either technique ensure that you don't lean too much or you will lose the ability to throw an effective upper cut or be knocked down.

Application of this technique is contingent upon knowing that the punch is straight and not a hook.

2. Ensure that the elbow is between the aggressor and respondent when doing the first strike. This adds force to the blow.

3. The reverse hand strikes ihere are NOT Karate step through reverse punches. They are simply straight rear hand strikes.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Using both your hands, grab your partner's lapels, or grab them by the throat, and strongly pull them towards you.

Respondent

Start in a neutral stance. Drop one foot back into rear leg Sanchin position and pivot the body using a rising heel palm strike to the chin of the aggressor using the lead hand. The strike should rise up along the chest of the aggressor so that it is harder to detect. Your opposite hand should stick to their arm adding a pull to affect balance and to distract.

Do not retract the strike but drop the elbow down into the aggressor’s chest as you drive forward with the same side foot (same elbow as in Seisan but different starting point). As you slide up into Sanchin drive forward slam the same forearm up into the side of their neck and around to hook the hand behind the aggressor’s head

Immediately, throw either a knee or a shin roundhouse kick (opposite side to the heel palm strike) to the aggressor’s left rib or thigh (depends on distance). Strongly pivot in the opposite direction to deliver an elbow strike.

Key points:

1) Grabbing you in this manner cannot prevent you from pivoting your body into the strike.

2) If you sense the attack you may be able to move in to perform this principle. However a violent charge will drive you backwards so that dropping the foot opposite to the striking hand back is the option to use.

3) Note that most grabs in this manner involve violent shaking and driving you backwards. This method of response will still work you must time the pivot with the shaking.

4) You should also note that if the aggressor throws their head back to avoid the heel palm strike they lose their power to throw you around and you will still drop into the elbow strike.

Aggressor

Standing in a neutral stance attempt to sucker punch your partner by throwing a right hook punch to the head.

Respondent

This move is similar in every respect except the foot work use is identical to #2 and is used to absorb the power of the strike.

As you move to absorb the force your left hand performs the major arm movement number three of the Wauke. Simultaneously your right hand will heel palm or Shuto the aggressor. If a Shuto is used you can shear down into the neck (as in Kanshiwa) to take their balance.

Follow up by driving a knee into the aggressor’s leg or body.

Key points:

1. The skill we are trying to develop is to use a strike to gain some distance. This applies both to the grab or to the sucker punch. The palm heel strike creates the room to throw a shin kick. Similarly, the Wauke movements can be use much like a double Shuto block..

2. This drill also helps to develop the "get mean" attitude. We put it between the "Avoid the Attack" defences and the more aggressive "Beat the Attack" defences to build intensity and an aggressive attitude.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a left lead hand strike at the respondents head. Follow this attack with a right roundhouse kick to the respondent’s head.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Slide back striking the aggressor’s lead hand with a left tiger paw (a right tiger paw to the back of the aggressor’s hand could be used but is not for safety’s sake.)

Block the high roundhouse kick with a left soft “pat” block absorbing the impact. Immediately strike to the aggressor’s body with a left lead hand (this should happen right off the block and before the aggressor’s kicking leg is placed back on the ground.)

Step in with a right elbow to the aggressor’s head. (For most this will be delivered up the centre.)

Key points:

1. The defensive principle we are learning is to "Attack the Weapon" by stepping back to maintain a safe distance and strike the attacking weapon (the hand).h to act.

2. We introduce here that there are no ranges defined as kicking or punching or grappling. When you “punch” the aggressor’s hand you are in what most would call kicking range. Ranges should be defined as very far, far, close, and very close.

3. The “pat” block introduces the principle of soft absorption that will be very necessary for the hands up position in close.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a left lead hand.

Respondent

This is a similar movement to number two but the movement has a more aggressive forward momentum:

Start in a left stance. Slide step to the rear and right (diagonally curving back and around the strike) with the right rear foot to avoid the punch. The forward foot should slide to the rear right as well, following the rear foot and maintaining Sanchin stance. (You should end in Sanchin with your toes pointing at the aggressor’s centre.) As you step, do a left (small diameter) circle block utilizing the left arm in the ending of the third move of the Major arm of the Wauke diverting the punch to your left and rear exposing the aggressors left side. Simultaneously swing a right hand heel palm strike to the back of the aggressor’s head.

Throw a left ridge hand to the groin and follow with a right elbow to the head.

Key points:

In this drill, although we are passively slipping the punch we are also strongly attacking the aggressor as he executes his attack.

1. This moves success hinges upon the fact that you can predict the lead hand strike.

2. Focus on your attack and not the grabbing of the aggressor's punch. The pivot of your body as you move forward to strike will cause your left hand to move to your left and rear drawing the punch with it assuming your hand is up in the guard position.

Aggressor

The aggressor reaches out to grab lapel with their left hand with the intent of pulling you into their right punch.

Respondent

You are in a neutral stance with your hands raised in a non-threatening posture.

Here the absorption takes a leap forward in skill level as it is done by a body pivot and not with the movement of the feet.

The body pivots its left side back so that you move off line. Simultaneously your right arm performs the third major arm movement except that it is done on a horizontal plane shearing cross and into the front of the aggressor’s head. The left hand should come up in Minor arm movement two to deflect the grab and stick to the aggressor’s arm.

Option one:

Slide forward into the aggressor using your left hand to heel palm their ribs or groin (an alternative strike is an elbow to the ribs).

Option Two:

Slide forward into the aggressor using your left knee to strike into their thigh.

Option three:

Leave your right forearm against the aggressor’s neck as you slip behind. Bring your left hand around the front of the aggressor slamming the forearm into the opposite side of their neck.

You now have your right arm against the left side of their neck (your hand extended away from you) and your left arm against the right side of their neck (your hand extended towards you). Grasping your own arms scissor your forearms together to apply strangulation.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a left lead hand.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Slip to the side shearing your own lead hand strike over theirs and deliver a heel palm strike to their face.

Keep your lead hand driving them back as you slide step behind delivering a heel palm to the small of their back. This creates a two point control on the aggressor and allows you to hit the circle with their head being pulled back and the small of their back driving forward. This takes them down.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a lead hand strike to the head.

Respondent

You are in a neutral stance with your hands raised in a non-threatening posture.

Using a combination of slipping and closing drop forward to your right foot and off line of the strike. Drop into a low leaning stance.

As you drop into the stance use left major arm movement two to groin strike the aggressor and right minor arm movement one to guide and parry the aggressor’s strike.

Pull your rear foot up into Sanchin as you slide forward. Your left arm performs major arm movement three to strike the back of the aggressor’s neck. Continue the momentum of the strike to sweep them over your knee. Bent over they are vulnerable to any follow up strikes.

Key points:

1. The defensive principle we are learning is to "Beat the Attack" by attacking the Aggressor as they strike. To make this work we utilise an avoidance skill of slipping the attack by dropping down and under the attack. We are also learning the avoidance skills of Bobbing and Weaving with an aggressive addition of strikes.

2. On the first attack, it is unnecessary to lean into the strike as the aggressor is breaking the distance for you while providing free momentum which increases the force of your strike. Allow your hips to move forward strongly pivoting as you transfer your weight onto the forward foot as you strike. This will significantly increase the force of your strike.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a reverse hand strike to the head as you step through into a right stance.

Respondent

Using a combination of slipping and closing drop forward to your left and off line of the strike. Drop into a low leaning stance. As you drop into the stance use major right arm movement two to groin strike the aggressor and left minor arm movement one to guide and parry the aggressor’s strike.

Pull your rear foot up into Sanchin as you slide forward. Your right arm performs major arm movement three to strike into the aggressor’s ribs and control the aggressor’s striking arm as you simultaneously pivot into a right elbow strike.

Key points:

Same as for #10.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a left lead push. (A lead hand push is often used to throw you off balance as they follow it up with strikes.)

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Using a lead front kick attack the aggressor as he advances with the lead hand. Your hands should be in position to control the aggressor’s.

As your foot comes down sweep the aggressor’s hands down and strike. Follow up with and elbow and a leg kick.

Key points:

1. This moves success hinges upon the fact that you can predict the lead hand strike.

2. We introduce the concept of “attacking the aggressor”. This is not a defensive move, but rather an attack. You take control of the attack and never give it back.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Rush forward to grab the respondent by the shoulders.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Using a lead front kick attack the aggressor as he advances with the lead hand. Your hands should be in position to spread and control the aggressor’s grab.

As your foot comes down sweep the aggressor’s hands down and strike. Follow up with and elbow and a leg kick.

Key points:

2. We introduce the concept of “attacking the aggressor”. This is not a defensive move, but rather an attack. You take control of the attack and never give it back.

Aggressor

Standing in a neutral stance attempt to sucker punch your partner by throwing a right hook punch to the head.

Respondent

Slide step forward towards and through the striking arm using the left Wauke Major Arm movement three to intercept the strike and the third left Wauke Minor arm movement to strike into the shoulder joint of the aggressor. Make sure that

Pivot towards the attack using your right hand to strike the aggressors neck. The left hand can pull the aggressor into the Shuto.

Key Points:

1) This is a closing move that attacks the aggressor’s balance by driving into their void. The void is an area not braced by an aggressor’s limb. Driving their centre of balance into that void takes their balance.

Aggressor

The aggressor reaches out to grab lapel with their left hand with the intent of pulling you into their right punch.

Respondent

As their left hand begins to extend you using closing to move in on the aggressor.

Using the Major arm movement one sweep your arm down to intercept the hand reaching for you. Simultaneously use minor arm movement one to heel palm strike the aggressor’s face.

Driving forward use major arm movement three to strike up into the side of the aggressor’s neck pushing them backwards spreading and opening the ribs for attack.
Minor arm movement three should be used to stick and control one of the aggressor’s arms by the action of chambering. You can then shoken to their stretched open ribs. (Use great care if you use a Shoken because they break ribs.)

Using both arms to hook the head and an arm then pull the aggressor done as you drive forward with a knee strike.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a right hook.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Step into the aggressor with hands in fight position. Attack the arm or the aggressor with an elbow or forearm.

Key points:

1. This moves success hinges upon the fact that you can predict the hook punch.

2. Again we “attacking the aggressor”. This is not a defensive move, but rather an attack. You take control of the attack and never give it back.

3. It is important to note that if the aggressor’s arm is struck it must be done at an angle just off their shoulder. Never attack into a braced position. Always use strength against weakness.

Aggressor

Start in a left stance. Attack with a lead hook.

Respondent

Start in a left stance. Step into the aggressor with hands in fight position. Attack the arm or the aggressor with an elbow or forearm.

Key points:

1. This moves success hinges upon the fact that you can predict the hook punch.

2. Again we “attacking the aggressor”. This is not a defensive move, but rather an attack. You take control of the attack and never give it back.

3. It is important to note that if the aggressor’s arm is struck it must be done at an angle just off their shoulder. Never attack into a braced position. Always use strength against weakness.

Both 16 and 17 can be used to demonstrate fighting with Kumite Position. Using the Kumite position strike with alternating heel palms (using only a body pivot and NO arm extension) like a thundering jackhammer.

Summary

You should have noticed, as you move from one drill to the next, the skill level required increases along with the risk to the respondent. Your risk is directly related to your ability to predict the attack. The only way I know how to improve your ability to predict attacks is to be frequently and unexpectedly attacked. Therefore, to develop this skill we need a variety of partners to attack us unexpectedly, enthusiastically, and effectively.

You can go back to the beginning of the Kumite and rework them with higher skill level movements.

After the basic movements are learned the respondent should work out their own follow up actions.

You should also note that while the moves are described in from a particular side that is irrelevant to the performance of the principles. The attack could be with either hand and the response from either side, it is irrelevant because the principles still work. Minor alterations might be required simply because you may end up inside the aggressor’s position as opposed to behind them.

These Kumites are solely intended to express the principles described. Intensity in training them must increase (i.e. If the respondent hesitates the aggressor throws another attack). Impromptu work must be added so that the principles are freely expressed and created.

Rick Wilson
Last edited by Rick Wilson on Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I still consider the Kumites a work in progress. I haven’t tinkered with them for a while and the posts on Kumites has started me thinking again.

In any event I hope some folks enjoy them.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I should also note that the reverse hand strikes in the Kumite are NOT Karate step through reverse punches. They are simply straight rear hand strikes.

Sorry to keep adding. I’ll go to bed now.
Brian Barry

Post by Brian Barry »

Hey, the thread is back!
Brian Barry
Shodan, Uechi-ryu
barrybj1@gcc.edu

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”