Green Tea

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Mary S

Green Tea

Post by Mary S »

Does anyone here drink/take green tea?

I've been searching the web for benefits and drawbacks and am getting some conflicting information on whether it's good for you, how much to drink, whether to drink it or, of all things, to wear it as a patch. (Perhaps you soak the patch first in boiling water??) 8O

Help!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I am a green tea consumer. It is the only caffeinated beverage I allow my 12-year-old son to have.

I have Alvita Chinese Greem Tea - Orange in my office right here. (It's another Twinlab product) I drink it w/o sugar.

Green tea "naked" is an acquired taste (the tea that is... :oops: ).

By the way, Vicki needs your work e-mail. The ones to your home are bouncing for some reason. Give her a buzz.

Ask away; there's lots to consider here. Gotta run right now.

- Bill
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Got Vicki squared away today with an email from work - Thanks Bill. Vicki if you're reading this...you've got mail. :)

Is the caffiene amount something I should be worried about? Does the brand name matter? I'm drinking approximately 2-3 cups a day and just a "commercial" brand and I'm "acquiring" a taste slowly (I'm not into sugar or sweetners).

I read that over-consumption (although no reference to how much) can lead to dizziness, palpatations, etc. (but perhaps that's the caffiene?)

How does it add in weight loss?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

First...

Think of green tea as unfermented black tea. It's tea in the raw. Not rocket science.

Second... Most natural sources of stimulants or drugs have more than the "chemically derived" active ingredient. So when someone says "this is some really good ****" 8) ", well what they are saying is that it has a nice balance and concentration of the active ingredient(s) and similar chemical analogues. Unless an herb says "standardized extract", well then the active ingredient and constellation of similar chemicals in it can vary from batch to batch.

Next...

The main stimulant in tea is indeed caffeine. But caffeine is one of several alkaloids in tea that give it the stimulant effect. And the mix gives it the special buzz. 8) One such alkaloid is theobromine . Once upon a time, theophilline was a manufactured drug used for asthma. However it no longer is, because the stimulant effect goes beyond opening up the respiratory passages. Too much theophilline can give you jitters.

Green tea contains approximately 20 mg caffeine per cup. That's about a fourth to a sixth the amount of an average cup of coffee. But tea's mix of alkaloids is different from the alkaloids you find in java.

The main health reasons to drink green tea are to get the beneficial polyphenols, flavenoids, and trace minerals. EGCG in particular is a much-studied polyphenol that may be the biggest contributor to tea's beneficial effects.

The weight loss attributed to green tea likely comes from the thermogenic properties of the alkaloids and the catechin polyphenols. Some studies have shown that green tea may limit fat absorption in the GI tract by inhibiting certain digestive enzymes.

Hope that's a good start.

- Bill
chef

Green tea

Post by chef »

Thank you, Mr. Glasheen, for the connection.

Thanks, Mary, for the quick response. I look forward to reading your mail when I get home.

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

The cola listing is interesting, given the variability within colas. Most colas have less caffeine than tea per ounce ( http://www.nsda.org/health/caffeinecontent.asp ). They also ignored decaf sodas and coffee. But of course being a site that promotes tea they are focusing on numbers that make tea seem lower in caffeine.

Now with that said, serving sizes can be quite different. You would have to drink 5 8oz cups of black tea (assuming the 40 milligrams of caffeine listed as the average per cup) to equal the caffeine in one 44oz cup of Mountain Dew (201 milligrams). Few people I know will drink 5 cups of tea in a short period of time, but I know quite a few who burn through large cups of soda in a short period of time.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Where the hell do you get "44 oz cups" of Dew? 8O

I thought my 20 oz bottles were big...

Regular and diet of a "cola" (I don't consider Dew to be a cola, but they do...), have the same caffeine amount.

And no, Dew does not have all the caffeine in it that folks say.
In a twelve-ounce serving, Mountain Dew provides about fifty-five milligrams of caffeine
- Review of Mountain Dew

Stick with Diet Dew and you can get all the caffeine w/o any of the sugar. And you can spill it all over a white shirt and papers, and never know the difference 10 minutes later. 8)

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Where the hell do you get "44 oz cups" of Dew? 8O

- Bill
Every C-store here in Lincoln carries 20oz, 32oz, and 44oz cups at the self-serve soda fountains. Literally a bucket of soda.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

7-Elevens around here have the 32-ounce Big Gulp®, and the 64-ounce Double Gulp®.

Supersize me!

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

www.joltcola.com/home.html

Better than truck stop coffee at 3am :wink:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

That's one stop away from Vivarin, man!

Brings back bad school memories... 8O

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I saw this movie over the holidays.

So, why did Michael Moore pull out of "best documentary" category, and instead enter Farenheit 911 into the "best picture" category? He explains in a very patronizing manner that he wanted to give new films like this one a chance.

Right, Mikey! You don't have a snowballs chance in hell...

In fact, I believe Mikey's F911 would have lost to this film. Other than the fact that it's an actual documentary, Supersize Me shows in a rather graphic manner why Michael Moore looks the way he does. Imagine the embarassment of losing to THAT political statement...

:shocked!:

I am soooo bad... (but never done ;)).

Supersized colas... I'm lovin it!

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”