PATRICK McCARTHY VA - Part II

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Part III

Post by Dana Sheets »

Well I'm tired, sore, and happy from my 2.5 days of training up in Frederick. Many thanks go out to Chrles Radi for hosting Mr. McCarthy. It was also good to see many familiar faces - include Bobby Whittemore. Who I had met at a previous seminar but didn't attach face and name until this meeting. Bobby has a wonderful spirit - I only wish we'd had time to train together more.

The semiar was also wonderful. Day 1 was 4 hours of lecture on the history and development of empty handed training including the possible sources and linages derived from the Bubishi (if you haven't read it - go get one.) Lots of stuff to make you scratch your head and wonder about. Mr. McCarthy also presented his 15 theory on the Marital Arts. A good solid paradigm to use to examine many layers of training including why we train, what are the physical elements (techniques), what are the mechanical principles, knowledge of anatomy & physiology, and how do you apply A&P, technique and mechanical principles to achieve outcomes, etc. And of course Mr. McCarthy's well supported reasoning that kata was a means of doing solo rehearsal of two person principles that had already been learned. The kata culminated the lessons. You learned the kata after you learned the pieces and what they were for -- until the Japanese took things over and systematized things into the school system.

Day 2 started with a great hard qigong conditioning drill. A mix of resistance and striking movements with a partner. I think there are 17 or 18 parts and you do them on both sides. The rest of Day 2 was for getting through as much as we could of that 72 part drill on joint locks, chokes, and cavity presses that you mentioned was demonstrated at the other seminar. I think we got through 40 or 50 of the techniques. Including at least three and maybe even five locks using the closed gate posture in Sanchin.

Day 3 was Sai-jitsu. Mr.Mcarthy's kobudo is Yamani Ryu. A beautiful flow and sweeping version of kobudo that doesn't involve fixed frozen stances or stopping the power and movement of your weapon. My hands are nice and tired today from cracking sai for about five hours. I don't usually train kobudo - but like any good weapons drill - this two person drill can be done with any weapon or no weapon - the principles remain. The two person drill represents a kata - I don't remember nor did I write down the name of which one.

The largest lesson I took away from the seminar was taking the part of every kata and turning it into a two person drill. Take the double hasami from seisan - try it against a front bear hug, against a shove, against a rear bear hug, against a double shoulder grab from behind (might have to turn around for that one,) against a throat grab (when they've already grabbed you) or against any act of violence you think people do to one another and see if the movement works as is, if it works with a little tai sabaki, or if that one simply isn't a good match for certain things. Then you'll know the kinds of things your kata movements are used for - your training of the kata will improve. You'll know it works if it follows the body's natural pain or flinch withdrawl responses (that you might have to augment from time to time) and if the other guy is getting hurt a whole lot more than you are.

He said that he usually spends three months teaching the sai drill we learned in five hours. Stretch that out over the three days and I've got at least a year's worth of training to do from this weekend alone.... 8O

No worries, that's why they call it training. If it were easy - we wouldn't keep showing up every week. A wonderful seminar, wonderful learning.

PS - be sure to try that seisan jump back against a throat grab. :D
Did you show compassion today?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Was that you I saw posting on the KSL? Are you back in NZ now? I know a couple of Koryu Uchinadi instructors in Auckland and Hamilton (great guys, too). If you want, I can PM there details to you (if you don't know them already)
Yeah mate that was me , Ive met them at seminars but havent got around to working out any training yet .

Yup back home mate , best place on earth .. dont tell anyone ;)

If you could send me any info that`d be great stop my spamming up the KSL

thanks again .
vicun019

Post by vicun019 »

Post deleted due to content.

Mary S (Site Admin)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Action approved and appreciated.

I recommend we delete said individual's logon ID and monitor the source URL.

FWIW, this has nothing to do with Sensei McCarthy in any way.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”