May Mid-Atlantic Regional

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

May Mid-Atlantic Regional

Post by Dana Sheets »

What a wonderful and fun day!

For those of you who've not met Sensei Ernest Sumpter..well..you should!

Sensei Sumpter has vast experience in martial arts including White Crane, animal gung fu and Uechi-Ryu. He ran a great regional workout. He is a kind and generous man and fights with smooth, powerful, and efficient movements.

Mr. Harold Clark started us off with warmups. Mr. Sumpter continued the energy with a couple of excellent training drills including his stop-motion fighting drill. Mr. Michael Thompson and Mr. Stanely Crump ran two great sessions. Mr. Thompson covered moving off the line (gracefully and positioned for power) and Mr. Crump introduced us to the Kenyukai Yakosuko Kumite. Mr. Rik Lostritto encouraged everone to remember to make the training their own by showing elements of his dojo's Kanshu Bunkai and also shared his knowledge of pharmacology with a samples of the Uechi guza plant and "juice." Mr. Sumpter finished off the day with good kata training and striking training.

Uechi-ka from PA, VA, DC, and MD were present from a bunch of different organizations and even some Goju-Ryu friends too!

Pictures soon!

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I recognise a few faces there. Great group of people. I see that the other Ben was there as well :)
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Yep - We had 6 folks from the Washington Karate Academy make the drive. Ben just tested for and received his Sandan. He and Tony Williams were having a good time throwing each other around during the stop-motion sparring drills.

Tony left early so he's not in the photo. Tony's a wonderful guy and a gentle, powerful giant. It is one of my hopes to see him train with Bruce Hirabayashi's student Sal. I'd be surprised if the walls were still standing if those two went for some randori. :lol:

We missed you Ben and your teacher. The next regional's not been announced but maybe it will be a bit further south and easier for you to get to.

cheers,
Dana
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Wed May 18, 2005 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Great Photo

Post by Guest »

Cool! A new way to keep up with my son! I also see several familiar faces including Ric Lostratto from those who attended the Koshukai in Largo, Florida last year.

Justin has been training under Sensei Sumpter for several years now and is greatly impressed with the White Crane resources he brings to Uechi, particularly grappling moves and takedowns as well as partner flow drills. I will be visiting Justin next month. Sensei Sumpter invited me to train with him several years ago when I visited the Philadelphia area, but I wasn't able due to some knee surgery. Now that I've been back about three years, I am anticipating a few workouts with Sensei Ernie. After all, I wear one of his blue dojo Uechi shirts.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”