8 years for SUV arson

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Post by Guest »

THE PRISON RAPE ELIMINATION ACT OF 2003 (H.R. 1707)
• Prison Rape Elimination Act Becomes Federal Law!
• House and Senate Pass Legislation to Curb Prisoner Rape
• Read the Legislation
Guess it can’t be happening it’s been against the law for two years …WTF?

Back in the civil war America did not treat her prisoners well

And today…..

Is this progress?

Ian so far your right about one thing…you reap what you sow. Hope you enjoy the crop.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Man, this is getting testy! 8O :lol:

Concerning the pictures you showed, Laird:

The first picture I believe is that of a Union Army prisoner. Technically speaking, he was a prisoner of The Confederacy, and not of "America." The Civil War was partially about bringing some of those states back into the fold.

There was known, horrendous treatment of prisoners both in Georgia and here in Richmond on Brown's Island in the James River. Part of it was unbridled disdain for the invasion of the Union Army, and part of it was a simple lack of resources (from the blockade) as well as a breakdown in command & control towards the end of the war. In any case, there's nothing hidden here.

As for Abu Ghraib, well there are consequences being dealt out as we type.
Lynndie England ... is charged with 19 counts of assault, conspiracy, improper conduct and indecent acts, and could be sentenced to as much as 38 years in prison.
- CNN

And insurgency-laden Iraq will be a hellhole for quite a long time, no matter what we do.

In the end though, I believe these very pictures speak to the need for compassion and fairness in the penal system. I'm glad I live in a society where such atrocities make it to the surface faster than you can say Pulitzer Prize. Rather than prove this country as lacking in fair treatment, I believe the publicity serves to keep our wardens honest. And that's not a bad thing.

- Bill
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I hope this Peice if schit gets what he did a million times over in prison. I hope he gets raped.. many times over. Death is too leniant on him.

But man Laird.. to throw Abu Gharib in our faces :roll:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Emotions run high, don't they?

When I see that, Ben, I just want to call Orkin and be done with him.

One thing we see in this thread is a willingness of some to voice their gut responses to these atrocities. To some extent, I agree with Laird that we can't be thought police. People will think what they think. Even Ben foams at the mouth here.

Most of us feel this way. Not all of us are willing to admit our deepest, darkest feelings. We'd rather sport that image of ourselves that we want the rest of the world to believe.

This is why we have laws - to protect ourselves from ourselves.

- Bill
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Even Ben foams at the mouth here.
I guess I'm not one to froth much eh ? The years of working in a high stress enviroment coupled with southern living have taught me much.

Bill, sent you a PM. THanks.
IJ

Post by IJ »

"Hope you enjoy the crop."

Rejoice in our prison failings. Condemn them. Go back >100 years. Then, pretend you are above the fray after endorsing them. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Lots of professions have oaths... some are jokes... some work well. While there are always failures, and no system is perfect, I find my work very easy to live with. Same goes for systems of government. Ours may have failures but one of its successes is that you read about em tomorrow and not in 30 years after a coup when the records are actually released.
--Ian

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”