Seisan - Jump To It

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I find in Shotokan the jumps are Symbolic of throws .

It doesnt seem to me the case in Seisan .

I cant see a use for it and plan to train a stepback .

But I`ll keep trying to figure it out .
FYI, I don't think the original Seisan "jump" was a jump. But no matter
thats my Impression too but I dont know where I formed that opinion ...

Maybe because I just think jumping in a fight is just plain silly :oops: :lol: 8)

Post by Guest »

Regardless of what it is or isn't, it's never going to go away until Sandans are no longer tested by the same criteria a Gokyu is.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

8)

It`s pretty good not having to grade eh Tony

Art exists where absolute freedom lies

Post by Guest »

Yeah, and it's alot cheaper too! :D

I paid huge bucks for my last test, $375. WTF? And my cert didn't even make it to Okinawa!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Hey Tony , if you ever feel the need to grade send me the bucks and I`ll print up whatever you like ;)

Post by Guest »

Thanks! I'll send you a video of myself doing Kumite #1 with a Gokyu so you know i've been training!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

:lol: :lol:

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

double post
Last edited by Dana Sheets on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you show compassion today?
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

In general, all cranes are very aggressive, according to the International Crane Foundation: "When fighting, they leap into the air to rake opponents with their sharp claws or stab at an opponent with their bill. This continues until one bird runs or flies away, sometimes closely pursued by the victorious bird. Fighting is dangerous to both participants, however, so cranes use a complex system of threat behaviors allowing rivals to avoid fighting. Communication includes both physical postures and vocalizations."
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Post by Guest »

The grey ones with the red heads are the sandhills. They are everywhere in my neighborhood, they just walk around like it's nobodys business. When they fight, they often try to jump higher then the other and end up jumping 15' in the air!
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Tony,

Just don't chop at the birds legs with a shinai or katana or the neighbors will talk. :lol:

If you do get them in the "egg".

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Seisan Jump

Post by Guest »

Thank you Sensei Audabon a/k/a Dana :D The fighting crane pics are awesome! Thanks.

They made me realize that I've been ornathologically challenged! I got egrets all over the place here that the gators try to chomp and not cranes.

Seriously ... there's that legend that Kanbun Sensei was so talented that he threw in a fast front kick mid-flight in the Seisan jump at his village demo. Sad to say but I know a couple of guys who worked years on achieving that eye-zapping feat. They don't want to know that there probably wasn't a jump :evil: No harm done ... it's impressive. I'd also like to know what used to be the standard so I could add it to my tool box 8)

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”