I have this response

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

I have this response

Post by Bill Glasheen »

On more than one occasion, I have described a response I have experienced at least 3 times in my life. (More if you count some sparring matches...) Being the geek that I am, and defending traditional martial arts the way I do, I often get the impression folks aren't convinced either that I've done this or that it can happen.

Here is what I wrote on another thread where I was trying to convince someone it was a REALLY bad idea for a woman to think she could slug a man.
I will however remind folks of a few "innocent" things that happened in my life. Once a fraternity brother turned the corner in my house, and dumped a bucket of ice water on me. To both our surprises, I decked him. I only realized what I did AFTER I did it. Fortunately we were friends, and I did no permanent harm. In another situation someone threw a pillow in our living room at the frat house, and a mug of hot scalding water ended up in my crotch. The next thing I remember is the guy begging for me not to hit him as I had him collared with the left hand and right fist in ready-fire position.

These were simple horseplay situations, Ian, and I found myself instictively attacking. It scares the crap out of me.

{snip}

My frat brothers knew not to throw buckets of ice water on me if I was minding my own business (unless I was their football coach...), or dump mugs of scalding water on Little Willie.
I also had it happen on my yondan test. I was in a particularly "vigorous" match with a Canadian, who let it be known in the first few seconds that he liked to hit hard. Fine by me... 8) After I sucked a little wind, I was up to the task. But at some point in the match, the guy charged at me in some way that I can't remember. All I remember is seeing the guy back up with his hands to his face, and me realizing I had popped him in the nose. Unfortunately my sparring buddy went home with two black eyes... :cry: As I often say to describe situations like this, "My fist acted without my permission."

My guess is that years of training in Sanchin and kumite exercises (prearranged and freestyle) have helped blend low and high road in a way that my fist does what it does when the low road perceives a threat. For those who've never experienced this, the whole process happens totally independently of thought. It is a most strange experience.

Last week, one of my students sent me this video. The title is kind of funny in a racial stereotype way. Beyond that, what you see here is EXACTLY what I experience. When you watch the path that this fellow's elbow travels, you can tell that his "home activity" likely is football. That arm basically is bench-pressing the punch.

More importantly, watch very carefully how he jumps a fraction of a second before "the event" happens. There's nothing rehearsed about this; it's the real deal captured on film. Then watch his "conscious" response afterwards.

Thanks, Jim, for the clip. And thanks to Scotty for formatting and posting.

Enjoy! :popcorn:

Never Scare a Brother

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Here's what I can't figure out. Why is it when this happens to me that my fist finds the nose EVERY SINGLE TIME? It finds it like a heat-seeking missile. The same thing happened with this big fellow.

BTW, I can't imagine that felt very good on the receiving end. That is one big brother. 8O

Nice draw-back, BTW. The guy knows how to hit!

- Bill
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

If your training teaches you to instinctively shoot your wife when she startles you climbing into bed, maybe self defense training isn't a good idea. :?

As for the nose thing, I imagine it's pretty engrained in all animals to go for vital areas. I can't think of any semi-intelligent animal that doesn't understand the concept of eyes. Birds are fooled by lizards with eye-shaped marks on their tails, dogs and cats attack the throat or back of the neck, etc.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

TSDGuy wrote:
If your training teaches you to instinctively shoot your wife when she startles you climbing into bed, maybe self defense training isn't a good idea. :?

Sigh...
Akil wrote:
He reports several hours later awaking to fists pummleing his face....His girlfriend determined that in his sleep he had said bad words and that is why she had taken to mounting him in his sleep and pummeling his face with fists (she is about the same size of him, if not a hair bigger). Well, he wakes up with the blood dripping form his nose and more punches landing every second.....He blocks a few punches, trying to figure out why she is mad at him, to which she responds that in your sleep, you called me a bitch...
- Sexual Bias

My advice was to tell the gentleman in question to leave the relationship and break off all contact. I gave many reasons why - this being one good reason.

Enough said...

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

i`m guessing she was a Bitch
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

:lol:
JimHawkins

Done it myself...

Post by JimHawkins »

So much for the "hard wired" flinch-o-doom that EVERYONE has and cannot re-program...
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

If you read above Jim , Bill says he flinches back originally and then after dealing a blow flinches away again .... :lol: :roll:

two step kumites right Bill !!! 8)

oops crossover thread , i`m referring to Halloween Harry ;)
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

The 'flinch' in that case was start to cover with chamber - no back step - immediately followed by an attack.. and then an egress off the porch.. It's all relative.. The info overload didn't last long there and so recovery only took a tenth of a second...

Did the bro have any training? Perhaps he needs an intro or re-intro to the K-Drills so he can work on stepping backward <off the porch> first...
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jim wrote:
The 'flinch' in that case was start to cover with chamber - no back step - immediately followed by an attack.. and then an egress off the porch.. It's all relative.. The info overload didn't last long there and so recovery only took a tenth of a second...
Sounds pretty close to what I see.
Jim wrote:
Did the bro have any training? Perhaps he needs an intro or re-intro to the K-Drills so he can work on stepping backward <off the porch> first...
I take it this is an intentionally inflammatory remark in search of a response.

If you have unresolved issues, perhaps you should take them elsewhere.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Please re-read my original post. I have not edited or deleted anything.

Yet...

I was less than thorough in my description because I wanted to save a bit of surprise and enjoyment for the viewer.

The "Jim" I refer to in the original post is an amateur filmmaker and karate student.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Sorry Bill , I was joing around , but realise it may look worse or like a diss .

I apologise to anyone who got the wrong idea ...

I`ts been said i`d charge Hell with a bucket of water ... does it show ? :lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Marcus

You and I know each other well enough, and have a "no blood, no foul" understanding. But sometimes this can go astray.

Good thing I never incite anyone... :roll: :lol:

It's a tough medium to communicate in.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Agreed Bill thanks , you know my personality enough by now , But I sometimes forget theres others that wont get it .

thats why i thought it best to set the record straight ... even though you know i`m not entirely joking :silly:

we better end this thread here before we end up agreeing from two different direcins ...
Last edited by Stryke on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I sure wish we could get the likes of Rory, Darren, Van, and others to think about this a bit. You just have to know that there are a handful of folks out there who have these "responses" that - IMO - are part low road and part high road. I guess you can say it's a good thing, and - now and then - an unfortunate thing. 8O

A few decades back, I had a really good conversation with Jimmy Malone about this.

How much is nature, and how much is nurture? Why would I do this, and others not? What part of my training makes this happen?

Questions, questions... 8)

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”