Are you as fit as a Ranger?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

TSDguy

Are you as fit as a Ranger?

Post by TSDguy »

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100111504

I think I can pull off everything except the 2 mile run in 13 minutes. I'll give this a go later on. How do you stack up?

Anyone else watch Blawk Hawk Down like 49 times when it was on FX last week?
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

PUSHUPS

The Ranger goal: 80 in 2 minutes

I do about 100 continuous pushups a day, so no sweat.

SITUPS

The Ranger goal: 80 in 2 minutes

mmmm..maybe not.
I also do 100 situps a day, though not continous.
I could probably do half of that in under two minutes.

CHINUPS

The Ranger goal: 12 or more

Crap.
On this, I ******. I can do *maybe* three or four and then I'm done....

2-MILE RUN
13 minute two miler eh?
That's a 6.5 minute mile.
Um..No. *Maybe* I could get a mile out of 13 minutes.

15 years ago, when I was in the Military, yes.
But now, a bit older, I have to ask myself,

"If I have to run somewhere for 2 miles, something is really really wrong."
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

-Metablade- wrote:"If I have to run somewhere for 2 miles, something is really really wrong."
Like you're being chased by Mogadishu. 8O
dpasquarelli

Post by dpasquarelli »

Doesn't sound that hard to me. I am not in the best shape of mt life but I am pretty sure I could do all of that including the 2 miler, maybe, but I did run track when I was younger.

One of my older brothers was a Ranger and their level of training far exceeded that whis was posted. Such as being dropped in the woods outside of Fort Lewis for six weeks to meet at a rendevous but left with only three days food or jungle training in Panama and Nicaragua. Pretty sketchy stuff. Their daily run was like ten miles with a full pack.
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat."
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

TSDguy wrote:
-Metablade- wrote:"If I have to run somewhere for 2 miles, something is really really wrong."
Like you're being chased by Mogadishu. 8O
ROFL :lol:
(That last comment made me atomize my chai..)
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

dpasquarelli wrote:Doesn't sound that hard to me. I am not in the best shape of mt life but I am pretty sure I could do all of that including the 2 miler, maybe, but I did run track when I was younger.
I agree. I've had (as we all have) several family member and friends in various branches and it's curious that these fitness requirements I constantly find are far below what you see in the daily PT requirements. On the other hand, it's not your ability to do pull ups that gets you a Ranger badge...
chewy

what they don't mention

Post by chewy »

Now try doing these excercises on after not sleeping for over 48 hours during which time you were costantly marching through rugged terrain. Kick in the fact that you had to eat, sleep, and empty your bowels on the move during this time.

My brother became an ABR a few years back and he looked like hell when the training was over. None of his clothes fit him and he couldn't lift weights like he used to for weeks (emaciated). Kudos to anyone who can get through Ranger training.

chewy
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

The Marine Corps has minimums and maximums that break Marines into three groups... first, second and third class. Below third class gets an unsatisfactory rating and unless you remediate quickly you will not be invited back.

The max for first class is 300 points. That would equate to a 3 mile run in 18 minutes or less (100 points), 20 pullups (100 points) and 100 situps in 2 minutes (100 points). The low end of first class is 225 points. If you can only do the minimum of three pullups you cannot make first class even if you run sub 6 minute miles... balance is rewarded.

There is also a curve that recognizes age (there are a few Marines in the 50 to 60 range). At 46 the minimums and maximum required for first class drops (whew).

Anyone wanting to be promoted needs to pass the PFT and stay above third class.

Also, some military occupations require first class fitness, such as the Martial Arts School for instructors and instructor/trainers. After checking in, all instructor candidates take the Physical Fitness Test. This is a known requirement and anyone that is not first class is sent home immediately with a bad note in their permanent file. The CO that sent them likely gets an admonition from the school's director as well.

If you are a good runner you can get by with 12 pullups and 60 situps. Likewise, if you are good at pullups and situps you can get by with 7 minute miles.

The bottom line is that everyone is encouraged to achieve not only first class in the PFT but to be well above the minimum level required to achieve it. And most do.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”