Sorry, another no-touch video

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

So how would it get to that point? Wouldn't he know he did not have the skills, or did so many students go along the charade for so long that he started believing it himself? Or could he have though the challenger was a plant who was supposed to go along with his "skills", only to realize too late that the challenge was for real?
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

TSDguy wrote: Watch Stryke's version and you can see he's clearly wailing on the guy, but not trying to kill him. Even still, the old man is bleeding profusely all over the place.
In that case I respect the younger guy's control. I also respect the concern he seemed to truly display toward the older guy, particularly at the end of the first clip of the fight.
Glenn
gmattson
Site Admin

He got hit..

Post by gmattson »

He just couldn't believe it!
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"Originally posted by jorvik kind of a bloody epiphany " Pun intended :D

"I'll never forget when I first met him. It was one of the first evening get-togethers, I believe. People where shaking hands and introducing each other. I was talking with a couple of people who were trash talking about "the test." Then someone came up to me with this imposing character with massive biceps. It was the "Empty Force guy." One person who had been doing the trash talking disappeared faster than I could turn my head. Amazing..."
In England the folks really wanted it to work...and it sure as hell didn't :lol:
he even went around doing the old strike to the neck AKA instant knockout( although he just wanted us to feel it and not be K.O'd.......he called it a light tap, but one of the men he hit
yelled out quite aggressively that it sure as hell wasn't light :roll:

I certainly didn't feel intimidated by him, although he was a big guy...some of the blackbelts there were a lot bigger than him.although he didn't try anything out on them.....all told it was very embarrassing, the guy who runs the club had to pay a lot from club funds to cover the course......and I really think that he should have held some money back or at least been offered a refund.

As to the old bloke getting hit.....it's called Evolution, the weak ( mentally or physically) get eaten by the strong.........he was physically weak, and mentally weak( for believing he was strong :lol: )....but look at the Hapkido "Master" on Van's forum, looks real pretty, but he wouldn't last much longer :wink:
This sort of thing is across the board in MA's.folks doing pretty katas, jumping when thrown as in Aikido :oops: :oops: .....this was just one of the more outlandish, but in the right company he would have gone down really well.maybe he should give a course for Yellow Bamboo practitioners.......I can still see a career for him, he just needs to target his market a bit more carefully :wink:
uechiwoman

Post by uechiwoman »

It's a Japanese newscast. They say the "no touch" master is from Sapporo in the Hokkaido prefecture of Japan. During the newscast they go on an on about how powerful he is...and how he can hurt and heal people with just a flick of his hands. That's as far as my rusty Japanese can take me.

Heather
diegoz_ar

kyusho

Post by diegoz_ar »

gmattson
Site Admin

Smart way to dodge the real issue..

Post by gmattson »

The Grand Master in this clip knows what he is doing is bogus, but has a perfect excuse for failure:

"you are part of that 60% that won't respond"!

(Bet you he'd never take on a challenge like the old boy in the first clip!) :)

On the other hand. . .If 100 "prospects" come into the dojo, 40 of them can be counted on to sign-up. Not a bad scam.

Interesting how he tried to impress the reporter by hitting her in a well known neck strike to "soften her up". (This has a much higher chance of working, as it is a well known pressure point, and therefore a great incentive for the "mark" to "cooperating" as the "con" continues) I liked her response... especially since it didn't affect her...

See the expression on the Grand Master??? "Oh, Oh, I'm in trouble!"

Even though his scam was exposed, he got his wish for a plug and we all know that 40% of the "prospects" showing up for a free class will be subject to his theatrics.

And of course the fact that you can be fat and out of shape and still con 30% of those who come to your dojo is a good selling point for prospective teachers.
Last edited by gmattson on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

A man has got to know his limitations :lol:
Van
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

You have to seperate these" No touch" guys into two groups. the ones who know it is a scam and the ones who don't.
It's the ones who think it is genuine.and are prepared to take on folks to prove it that fascinate me, like the first guy. Look at his body language, he is confident, whereas the guy who is putting him to the test doesn't look half as confident :? .....even in terms of fitness the old guy looks quite thin and sprightly, whereas the younger guy is carrying a bit too much lard :)

so then you have to ask, why has he so much confidence? has he consistently proved this ability over time? knocked out other folks etc.

In the organisation that I belong to the head man does Qi-Kong, I was once told a tale about him when I was at another school. He was demonstrating the empty force stuff, getting folks at the other side of the gym who had their eyes closed to sway as he waved his hands 8) .........when a young woman with a pram and a toddler in hand walked between him and his swaying pupils :lol: .but neither she nor the toddler were affected :oops: :oops: .......this put me off the organisation for quite some time, but I decided to join as I wanted to learn Wing-chun, which they teach.
Now I have been very surprised by the Wing-Chun, there is lots of clever stuff.one thing seems to build on another, and you can honestly see how it all connects and how a smaller slower person can beat somebody bigger :D
but!! there is also the Qi-Kong.....and this is where my confusion begins :? :? .because I can see the truth in WC should I accept the Qi-Kong in the same way.The system is for health....and the teacher lived to be 104 and in good health ( could kick over her head) right till her last days

Now I could well start to belive that the no touch stuff is real, because the WC is so good :roll: ...and don't forget Uechi is supposed to contain "Hard Qi-Kong" :wink:

I'm not saying that I will but you can see how such thoughts begin
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

It comes solely from training in isolation .

unless you open your feild of experience there is little way of telling where you stand .

Could be the qi gong is great and the wing chun is crap etc , without perspective and outside experience youd never know .
tigereye

Re: kyusho

Post by tigereye »

Very impressive. Looks like a stage combat.
Watching this clip I was wondering, if this is real how could he developed such a high martial arts ability that he can influence another person without physical contact. :roll: :?:
Eva
IJ

Post by IJ »

Couple thoughts.

1) What a pile of stinking horse $hit and I'm glad someone finally called bull.

2) Look how much effect this all had on the younger fighter from the beginning. We're talking about an aged, slow fellow with no evidence of an ability to injure--and he's so hesitant to get in there. His confidence was boosted after he didn't die of a death fart in their first encounter--but really, if he was robbing this guy on the street, he would have just thumped him from the start.

3) These mystical, cooperative attacker routines sure fail in a fantastically entertaining way when they're tested--but I always feel like we (the broad, Uechi religion people) might not fare that much better. A lot of the way uechi is done (not by anyone reading, of course) is dance and ritual, from people who think they can defend themselves from real attacks if they can get thru kyu and dan kumite (or even friendly, same martial language sparring matches) to the utterly silly stff like the katana defenses in seisan kata. Really, if anyone wants my Randi prize (I can't put up a million but I can make it $100), come and strip me of a shinai without getting bopped on the way in. And we should also be willing to let a BJJ guy toss us on the mat a few times to restrain our perceived ninjatude.
--Ian
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

That was funny. So is it safe to say that the 40% who fall, I mean are sensitive to this energy go to his school but the other 60% do BJJ?

More nitwittery

There's a nice quote in this video.
"That power has been combusting and working inside your stomach..."

In my experience the outcome of this is usually never good. :lol:

Here's a good dim mak technique

More silliness. At the end the master looks like he's really handling multiple armed attackers, until you realize that none of them really take a swing at him and are just being meat puppets.
Last edited by MikeK on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was dreaming of the past...
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

MikeK wrote:[quote="diegoz_arThat was funny. So is it safe to say that the 40% who fall, I mean are sensitive to this energy go to his school but the other 60% do BJJ?
I'm sort of curious what the psych profile numbers look like, but I'll bet my right hook that the number that aren't suceptible is more like 99.9%. For starters you have to know what's supposed to happen or you can't fake it. I think you have to groom these guys in an environment where assumptions are never tested. It's really mind boggling but then so are cults and phone scam victims and whatever.

@Ian: The similarities between this video and all of us are sort of frightening. Suuuure that ___ you've been working on will work; you saw it work on your 1-step partner.
Kuma-de

Post by Kuma-de »

TSDguy wrote:
MikeK wrote:[quote="diegoz_arThat was funny. So is it safe to say that the 40% who fall, I mean are sensitive to this energy go to his school but the other 60% do BJJ?
I'm sort of curious what the psych profile numbers look like, but I'll bet my right hook that the number that aren't suceptible is more like 99.9%. For starters you have to know what's supposed to happen or you can't fake it. I think you have to groom these guys in an environment where assumptions are never tested. It's really mind boggling but then so are cults and phone scam victims and whatever.

@Ian: The similarities between this video and all of us are sort of frightening. Suuuure that ___ you've been working on will work; you saw it work on your 1-step partner.
Some of us are familiar with the Psychologist Abraham Maslow who created the Theory of Hierarchy of Goods. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_h ... y_of_needs

If you look at the below diagram, those of you that are instructors can see the various levels fall into the needs of many who approach you for membership.

Matter of fact, when I get a newbie that approaches me, I use Maslow to "sell him/her" my program. This is done with a few questions keying off this diagram that gets to the root of why they want to train. e.g. self defense, friendship, Esteem, self actualization, safety,love/belonging,etc.

Back to the dilemma of why 60% would 'fall" (pun intended) for this quackery is in the aforementioned. The FEAR of not FITTING in or belong to the group that has accepted me!!

Many dojo are family substitutes for many and many students look at the sensei as parental substitutes.

I am not a psychologists, nor do I play one on TV!! :lol: But I have dealt with the human psyche for years, and this profile fits.
Image[/url]
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”