Uechi lineage

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

f.Channell

Uechi lineage

Post by f.Channell »

Years ago on the forums it was discussed on how to have a Lineage data base of teacher to student from Shushiwa right to yourself. It was decided to be too large a project to undertake.

Since I started with my genealogy years ago I have become familiar with the software used to compile this data in.
When sharing this data all family tree programs share a gedcom file which can be passed between family members regardless of which software program they use.
A family is pretty much the same regardless of whether you are talking about a Karate family or your real family.
Lets say your born when you become a shodan to a father your sensei.
You may later be "adopted" by another sensei.
Someday your students can be listed as your children.
Their students your grandchildren, and so forth.

The one thing I don't know is how the gedcom file could be posted or accessed on a site such as this.
They can and are posted to other sites such as ancestry.com
But I think we should hold that info.
The yellow book could be used as a good starting point for the American branch of the tree.
It would have to be decided if people would have to submit their registration numbers to be listed.
I think shodan would be a good starting point as I often hear people stretch the truth as to when they actually began.

If e-mailed the info it would be as easy as cutting and pasting into the software program.
I'm not sure if the programs when converted allow things such as photos or interesting notes to be saved or if it's just general info. I'll have to look at the gedcom's closer.

An interesting topic anyway, let me know what you think.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”