No Dan Karate's "Five Principles"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Kuma-de

No Dan Karate's "Five Principles"

Post by Kuma-de »

Edited from "Karate's Lost Art", by Lighthouse Productions, c.2009. The karateka's power came from a mastery of The Five Principles of "centering" technique, which he believed were foundational to all the striking arts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOvUS4Ii5Gg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJjdixx1_nk

Despite the demonstrator's attempt to disguise himself and his voice, he does offer some decent advice. Pretty crazy stuff!!
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I've always enjoyed Bill's work. :lol:
I was dreaming of the past...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

MikeK wrote:
I've always enjoyed Bill's work. :lol:
Yea boy... That's me extending my ki! 8)

1-2 timing... a.k.a. sequential summation of motion. Nodan didn't invent it. But he gets a concept across in a simplistic fashion.

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Yea boy... That's me extending my ki! 8)
And here I thought you were just happy to see me. :lol:
Kuma-de

Post by Kuma-de »

MikeK wrote:I've always enjoyed Bill's work. :lol:
I'm not familiar with him. Who is he? :?:
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

That was just me having a little inside fun with Bill G. Has to do with saffron robes and stuff.

I did have a link where people ID'd Nodan and had a picture. The guy is actually pretty good by the accounts I've read, though the reason for the disguise is unknown. It does get him noticed. I'll see if I can find it.
Kuma-de

Post by Kuma-de »

MikeK wrote:That was just me having a little inside fun with Bill G. Has to do with saffron robes and stuff.

I did have a link where people ID'd Nodan and had a picture. The guy is actually pretty good by the accounts I've read, though the reason for the disguise is unknown. It does get him noticed. I'll see if I can find it.
I received this in reply to a note that I sent him on youtube. In part it said:
I also want to commend you for your comprehensive channel selection. You are providing an excellent resource for the traditional Okinawan arts, which is why we sent you a video of old Nodan. I am sending you Part One of our recent upload of Nodan's Five Principles of "centering" technique. Part Two is available at our nodankarate channel. Sincerely, Lighthouse Productions
Personally, I think that the guy is a legit teacher that is probably fed up with the Bull Sh*t Do.

Thanks for the reply,

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewEnglandBudo
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jim

I enjoy aspects of the videos. Furthermore, much of what is in them is legit.

But there is a certain je ne sait quoi about them. "Cheesy" is a word used a lot online - especially in the review of the video on Amazon. But folks have also commented on some useful aspects coming from them.

After reading many commentaries about fake beards (Nodan) and fake wigs (his demo partners), I will say that there's something amusing about a beard that's dark at the roots and white at the extremities. Ponder that thought a bit.

Thanks for the postings, Jim. Always a pleasure.

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Found the original Nodan article.
http://ejmas.com/tin/tinframe.htm
Nodan Budo: A Review
copyright © 2005 Paul Schweer, all rights reserved

Just prior to our Monday night class, my teacher handed me a copy of Centering In The Martial Arts: The Power Of The Way. It had arrived, unsolicited, in the dojo mail. From reading the blurbs on the DVD cover, I gathered he was wondering if it was for real. And curious, but too cowardly to view it for himself, he asked me to watch it for him.

Since I figure this must be some sort of perverse right of passage, I am not bitter. Thank you, may I have another.

Centering In The Martial Arts is a forty-two minute demonstration of board breaking, self-defense forms and techniques, and an exploration of the "one-two" principle. From what I can surmise, the one-two principle consists of leading the upper body's movement with a preceding turn of one's hips, instead of turning the hips and upper body as one unit. I would try to explain more in depth, but I think that is pretty much as deep as it gets.

The instructor/narrator/demonstrator (and, if I had to guess, also the producer, director, cameraman, lighting man, soundman and gofer) is a fellow who calls himself Nodan. The presentation begins with four disclaimers of danger and liability, but omits Nodan's background and qualifications. And fails to provide his full name.

Nodan describes himself as an old man "twenty years past his prime." He wears big black spectacles, as seen in Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips. He speaks in accented, sometimes broken English, and refers to himself in the third person: "Nodan will use bent wrist strike." (Nodan hurt wrist, but bow anyway.) He repeats phrases such as "appearances can be deceiving" and "picture worth a thousand words."

After a particularly difficult break of no fewer than five boards, Nodan tells a cautionary tale: "Now listen carefully please. Nodan is using only his own natural strength to do these breaking demonstrations. But beware. It is possible through occult practices to channel other spiritual powers, which by comparison make Nodan's breaking mere child's play. "

In conclusion, just prior to the "Final Slow Motion Review", Nodan summarizes: "The wise man learns to fight so he will not have to fight."

Following the conclusion and final review... Nodan demonstrates, with the assistance of Yakov (The Hammer), centered stance. Yakov is "big and very powerful". And appears to be wearing an eye patch. And a floppy toupee. Yakov grunts, but cannot "push an old man over".

Nodan then does a solo form to demonstrate "moving in center".

Then brutalizes Yakov in a series of techniques against machete and knife. Followed by a slow motion review.

Then another solo form.

Then a postscript, that begins "For Nodan, Centering In The Martial Arts was a natural outgrowth of his training in aikido...." The postscript includes Nodan's description of his own enlightenment:

Into the void
he blindly goes,
the outer darkness
now he knows...

in second death
he will repose....

A fitting postscript, I suppose.

[Ed. note: We believe this video was intended as a parody. ]
And an old thread on the aikiweb...Who is Nodan.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8213
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yep... Same stuff I came across, Mike.

It's still fun - regardless of the delivery. Maybe martial artists are also entitled to teach under a nom de plume. ;)

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mike

Had to erase your image, as it comes across with a nasty note when you try to hotlink it as an image file.

This from Wikipedia. It gets the point across.
Joe Jitsu was also the name of one of Dick Tracy's crimefighters. He became popular in the 1961 syndicated animated cartoon series of the popular comic strip, but today is considered a flagrantly politically incorrect stereotype. His method of subduing criminals was to grab them by the wrist, exclaim either "So sorry!" or "Excuse, prease!" and judo-flip them down on the ground violently.
It has been a long time. My brain doesn't remember the stereotype. But looking at it now, it does make me cringe. And the more you look at that, the more the nodan character tends to come across the same way.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

By the way... There were three (3) racial stereotypes in that cartoon: the Japanese, the Frenchman, and the Sicilian.

Good thing we Irish have a sense of humor about such things... ;)

- Bill
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

I couldn't place it but yes that sure sounds like Nodan...

Wow, I haven't seen that show since forever ago...

If Nodan is going to spread the true karate then it might be nice for him to go a bit beyond the basics..........
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
AE Moores

Post by AE Moores »

Gary Khoury gave me the DVD a few years back. His experience was very similar. Arrived at his dojo unsolicited. There was no asking of money or future orders for his students.

I've watched the DVD several times. I agree with many of the points he makes. His Karate isn't too bad either.... His seizan isn't as strong as the rest of his karate.

Most definetly a non asian immitating an "old asian master." Very strange.
Shugyo Training Camp
www.atlantickarate.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”