Bruce Lee and Jim Maloney

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

MikeK

Re: Bait me baby....

Post by MikeK »

Van Canna wrote: Here is a better photo showing one of our Uechi traps:

But how would you know?
From the picture it looks like Lee is landing a light side kick. I don't see a a trap unless it happens after the kick.
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Or jimmy is punching the kick as it comes in and setting up the wauke trap in a follow up.

It is the intercept and redirect of Uechi. So many ways to skin a cat in Uechi :wink:
Van
CANDANeh

Blading

Post by CANDANeh »

Looks to me like his "blading" which he certainly continued to develop over the years. Also, check out the rear leg...bent for a reason.

Dave Ryan. I will never forget his attending our grading (a ragged group from Nova Scotia;) which took place at the old opera house in Brockton Mass. Dave was terminally ill and I`m certain everyone saw a true warrior in how Dave Ryan conducted himself on his final days. Dave was highly intelligent and his understanding of Uechi was very impressive. Dave`s lightning like front kick also left many "impressions" of a different kind.
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Re: Bait me baby....

Post by Bill Glasheen »

MikeK wrote:
From the picture it looks like Lee is landing a light side kick. I don't see a a trap unless it happens after the kick.
Mike

To start with, Bruce has full leg extension, and yet there's an inch or two of space in-between foot blade and body. Furthermore, Jimmy's body is markedly bladed. It is exactly as it should be.

This is the skeleton of shoken sukuiage uke. In teaching this, I often start out with a "fit" just like Jimmy is doing above, only I meet the foot with a palm heel rather than a fist. Many complex Uechi techniques can be stripped down to simple elements, and put back together again.

What is missing here is the "sukui" (scoop) part with his left hand. Subsequent to the grab (which the person can't pull out of), you have a choice of dumping the person, kicking them in the jewels, or spinning them around and breaking center (with hawk chases sparrow) to set up a rear naked choke.

This is not unlike practicing "fits" when doing shoulder throws in judo. I've seen practices where someone does 19 such fits, and then throws the person on the 20th. If you have the fit right, everything else falls in place.

It's not clear to me if Jimmy is communicating to Bruce what he's doing, or he's just instinctively responding to Bruce's yoko geri w/o consummating the catch. But with my Uechi style eyes, it's clear to me what he's doing. Perhaps Jimmy can't help it, the way someone instinctively covers face after a fall. Perhaps the idea is that nobody loses face in the photo. I teach something very similar to this fit as a bridge to the whole technique and subsequent follow-ups.

Remind me to show you how this works next time we get together, Mike.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bill Glasheen wrote:
By the way... I dig Bruce's training shirt! 8)

It's difficult to see in this small version of the photo. As I recall it was an elastic fit, with narrow horizontal stripes. I too was hyper-wiry when young. Those stripes made you look bigger. ;)

- Bill
Thanks for the larger photo. Now you know what I'm talking about. ;)

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

A simple friendly sparring match exhibition with no one trying to really outshine the other, though Bruce was trying to show his speed in getting into Maloney, but never quite could, and he kept running into Jimmy’s substantial fighting experience in the ring and speed he never expected.

In fact Bruce was in awe of Maloney’s skills and so he complimented him.

Jimmy was a gentleman and never really slammed Bruce into the ground as he could very easily as Bill’s comments point out.

A shame that when discussing these things…paranoia gets the best of ‘baby’ :lol: on these forums.

Hopefully we are rid of him once and for all...though over time he has shown that he just cannot stay way from bashing Uechi on a Uechi forum…
Van
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Van
I don't know how it is in the US or Italy for that matter.....but in England it is considered very bad form to " SPEAK ILL OF THE DEAD"......I find it extremely offensive :evil: .the dead can't defend themselves.
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

I thought he was just leaving. Now he's DEAD?!?!
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

jorvik wrote:Van
I don't know how it is in the US or Italy for that matter.....but in England it is considered very bad form to " SPEAK ILL OF THE DEAD"......I find it extremely offensive :evil: .the dead can't defend themselves.
Hey Ray,

Best to let this subject die a natural death :lol: Italy, England, or Poland... :wink:
Van
robb buckland

He's dead ????

Post by robb buckland »

Them must be very pointed werds you got im wit Van .....!!!!! :lol: :arrow: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Jason Rees wrote:
I thought he was just leaving. Now he's DEAD?!?!
Jason

I fear your humor will go over the heads of many. ;)

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

About time we get rid of trolls on a Uechi forum :twisted:
Van
robb buckland

Post by robb buckland »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

jorvik wrote:
Van
I agree, Ray; the argument is dead. Let it rest in peace. There are other things to talk about.

Thank you.

- Bill
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Deleted by Poster.
Last edited by Jason Rees on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life begins & ends cold, naked & covered in crap.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”