Bruce Lee and Jim Maloney

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

robb buckland wrote:
Van Canna wrote:
"Your 38 special for your Renshi was most excellent and it showed lots of dedicated practice. "
I would like to have seen that !!!!
I've made a couple of slight modifications since I presented it (and some partner exercise material) for my renshi. But I believe George uploaded a film of it and it exists somewhere on the site. If I can find it, I'll provide the link.

- Bill
robb buckland

Trial by Fire

Post by robb buckland »

I remember being exposed to some good kickers in the open division I fought Billy Blanks and Steve "Nasty" Andersonboth strong but both fell prey to the our front kick ( nice how the toes pop out from under those little foam floaty pads ! :lol: "Sorry Billy ")....repeatedly sat em down leaving me facing away in the neutral corner. Interesting how its' such a simple solution to what one would percieve as a TOUGH problem ....timing , distance , draw step front kick !!! 8) To bad we werent allowed to grab !!!!! :twisted:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
robb buckland

Bill gettin his kicks

Post by robb buckland »

I'd love to see it please do !!!!
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Glenn

Re: Bruce Lee and Jim Maloney

Post by Glenn »

Van Canna wrote:Image

This was taken at the Mattson academy when Bruce visited the dojo.
What year was this?
Glenn
robb buckland

Post by robb buckland »

Whoever sent me the link for the ......38 THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!

KUDOS sensei Glasheen !!!

:D :!: :!: :!: :D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

ImageImage

This is the 'better way' to throw a roundhouse kick.

One reason why if Bruce Lee had wanted to pose for a shot doing a round kick, as it has been suggested...he wouldn't have picked the one we see with Maloney...the distance would be all wrong...as well as his body mechanics.

What you see Bruce doing is a moving exchange with Maloney...he was never able to get close to him.
Van
robb buckland

Post by robb buckland »

:D " The key aspect of of tactical engagement is understanding of purposefull movement"
Joe Lewis
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Van Canna wrote:ImageImage

This is the 'better way' to throw a roundhouse kick.

One reason why if Bruce Lee had wanted to pose for a shot doing a round kick, as it has been suggested...he wouldn't have picked the one we see with Maloney...the distance would be all wrong...as well as his body mechanics.
Unless of course he is doing a heel hook kick. But what do I know about body mechanics.

Plenty of hook kicks in this video. Around 1:35 shows a nice one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljmsQYjp3vI
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Unless of course he is doing a heel hook kick. But what do I know about body mechanics.

True, except that was not what he was doing. :wink:

Even for a hook kick he would have been way off target.

Hook kicks are done best at very close range when the trajectory hooks from your blind side.

This is how we were taught to perform them and certainly what we found when fighting tournaments at the National level.
Van
robb buckland

Superfeet

Post by robb buckland »

My favorite application of that hooking heel kick was Bill Wallace and later emulated by Jimmy Witherell both Jimmy and Bill have wacked me with that one :oops:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Van Canna wrote:True, except that was not what he was doing. :wink:
Are you sure, it was a long time ago? I'm looking at his support leg and his kicking leg and he'd have to be doing some funky gyration to get into that position in the first part of a round house. Whatever, it is out of range.
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Mike,

I understand your questions. But bear in mind that many such kicks are done in combination, like a Wallace, reversing trajectory mid stream.

As you know hook kicks come in three variation:

1. Straight on, like you might remember in Billy Jack
"I can take this leg and put it on that side of your head and there ain't nothing you can do about it!" Billy Jack
The one I would prefer most in free style competition as you can hook around a straight punch or jab and the opponent won't even see it coming as in Billy jack.

2. Spin hook heel kick wher you spin on a dime and throw it.

3. Jumping/spinning heel hook kick.

~~

In any case, Bruce's kick in the photo is way off target, r/house or hook.

I doubt he'd have picked this photo to show how good of a fighter he was. Problem he was having with Jim was he could not get anywhere near as he had hoped.

Not a diss on Bruce but a compliment on Jimmy.
Van
robb buckland

I'll Second That !!

Post by robb buckland »

CLASSIC.......
"I can take this foot and wop you on that side of your face, and theres not a damn thing you are going to be able to do about it !!"

"Really"

"REALLY !"

So many movies so little time !!! :lol: :lol:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Van Canna

And this is killer maloney

Post by Van Canna »

This is from my dear friend and Maloney's friend and best student...Shane Kirk. Some of you might remember his explosive power in a summer camp Demo.
Van my dear friend, I am sending a couple of pictures of Sensei Maloney from my personal collection.

I do not wish to engage in the debate of Sensei Maloney’s time spent with Bruce Lee, I have a great deal of respect for you and our “Uechi Friends” whom regularly contribute to the forums, I am a student and you and I have spoke extensively of the power in knowledge… these forums a full of knowledge; a tremendous opportunity learn and share…

I am honoured to be under the care of Sensei Maloney, we train typically five & six nights a week; we have professional fighters, amature fighters, amature fighters turning pro… we train ground and pound, we train in survival training, defence against weapons, weapon usage, clinch work & take downs, impact training, trapping…we use BOB with the lower torso, kick pads, punch mitts, we train inside, outside, civilian clothing, we train in complete darkness and much much more.

We continue to place strong emphasizes on “active situational & environmental assessments”, something Sensei Canna has helped educate the readers of the importance of this task.
Van
robb buckland

Shane...

Post by robb buckland »

I'll see you soon brother, :wink: I'm moving to Maine in October or November :D
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”