A call for historic Uechi kata videos

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

A call for historic Uechi kata videos

Post by Bill Glasheen »

To all:

I've been asked to work on a project that will dovetail with written work being done by George Mattson. More on his piece later.

What I need are videos of experienced Uechi senior seniors (of any country) doing kata - preferably "back in the day." At this point the Uechi forms have been somewhat evolved and homogenized. But there are flavors of the style that go back to individuals and their take on Kanbun's style.

For those who don't know, George owns some of the most definitive tapes of Uechi Kanei doing kata. Check that one off.

George also has possession of the tapes of many Uechi seniors doing kata at the 33rd anniversary of Kanbun Uechi's death.

Outside those sources, are you aware of other films or tapes of seniors doing forms way back? Even if it's not in a digital format, work can be done to convert it. Eventually we want to create a DVD of such performances as a permanent record for karate analysts and historians to use in their training and study of the style.

Thanks in advance.

- Bill Glasheen
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Alan Dollar sells a set of historic Uechi Ryu videos (now on DVD) that might be good for this project, assuming Dollar's copywrite of it wouldn't negate it's utility in your plans. I have the set on video, but it has been a long time I watched them and I cannot recall how much it actually shows of them doing kata. Here are the details from his site, including who is featured in each part.
Part I. KADENA DOJO INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO
This footage, originally produced and directed by Master Seiyu Shinjo in Kadena, Okinawa in 1979, is believed to be the first instructional film produced by an Okinawan karate master.
It features Seiyu Shinjo, Tsutomu Nakahodo, Kiyohide and Narahiro Shinjo, Yako Shinjo and Yoshimitsu Matsuzaki.
Additional footage documents the Shinjo intensity applied to Uechi ryu karate from the 1960's to the '90's!

Part II. FUTENMA DOJO AND KANEI UECHI
This exclusive footage presents rapid Hojoundo exercises and incredible sparring action in the first Futenma dojo in 1960. The Dojo that the karate world has come to know was built on the same site in 1963. This is the only footage ever presented of Kanei Uechi in his first Futenma dojo!
This DVD features Kanei Uechi, Seiyu Shinjo, Seiki Itokazu, Shintoku Takara, Seiki Irei, Shigeru Takamiyagi, Minoru Miyagi and others.
Additional footage presents testing and demonstrations in the Futenma dojo in the 1980's.

Part III. KADENA KENYUKAI TRAINING
This footage presents karate training in the first and second Kadena dojo in the 1960's and '70's. That dojo was torn down in 2005 by reason of 'eminent domain'. The new Shinjo Dojo and home are now located five minutes away in Yomitan.
This DVD features Seiyu Shinjo, Tsutomu Nakahodo, Kiyohide and Narahiro Shinjo and Peter Kellogg.
Additional footage presents Northern Okinawa from the air and private family scenes including Seiryo and Tsuru Shinjo (Kanbun Uechi's closest friends) and Seiyu and Yoshi Shinjo.

Running Time: 90 Minutes
Price: $29.95
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I think Alan Dollar has Okinawa covered.

- Bill
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Excellent project Bill and it will be an eye opener when people get to see all the takes on Uechi.

Good luck!
I was dreaming of the past...
gmattson
Site Admin

Update on the book.

Post by gmattson »

If you aren't on my newsletter mailing list, send my an email and I'll forward one to you. Bottom line, after two months of 12-15 hour days, I've delivered a finished manuscript to the printer and by meeting that deadline, I've been promised finished books for WinterFest.

My students are planning a party and press conference during WinterFest and from the look of sales, a sold-out inventory of this special edition, 50th anniversary book.

If you know me, you know I tend to do things no one else does and I think this book will probably motivate other 'old timers' to write about their experiences rather than waste paper showing students how to make a fist!

I'm still collecting videos of senior instructors, but am planning on doing a teaching video of the variations of applications rather than just showing kata being performed. I've got some interesting ideas that should make this DVD not only interesting but a worthwhile training tool.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Topos

Possible Source

Post by Topos »

Bill,

I filmed Harry Brawley performing all the Kata on SUPER 8mm color. You might want to see if he can be contacted and get a copy.

His Kata were crisp and in the original style GEM taught.
David H

Post by David H »

Not sure whether You Tube applies but just found this excellent video of Kanei Uechi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjF66bbw-Q8
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi David. . .

Post by gmattson »

Guess where this video came from???
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Is that Charlie Earle's copy, George? It looks cleaner than the one I remember from you. If so, who would be in possession of that?

Bob Galeone used to tell Marty and I stories of how he snuck the film out (in Charlie's Providence dojo) and would view it with his buddies. It's safe to share that story now I guess... ;)

It's neat in so many ways going back to this tape. I'm kind of glad I've been off working on my own for so long now. What I do nuance-wise is a little bit different here and there, and I like what I do. I guess that means "it" is now my own, and I've got my own first principles understanding driving my movement. That's a nice place to be.

Not that I won't tweak things a bit in the NEXT ten years or so... 8)

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”