George's New Book

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

From the heart

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Van, one who has been there from the beginning, one who, obviously speaks from the heart. If he felt differently about the book, he would say it. Since I have only had a brief tour through the book, your comments make me want to hurry up, sit down, relax and read read read. Tomorrow will be a good day for me, starting at the first page.
gmattson
Site Admin

Van. . .

Post by gmattson »

What a wonderful treat it was reading your comments. I am so happy that you enjoyed the memories. . .

Best,
George
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Bill
Since I have only had a brief tour through the book, your comments make me want to hurry up, sit down, relax and read read read. Tomorrow will be a good day for me, starting at the first page.
And so there will be infinite new good days and new beginnings for you and for us _ our Uechi family _ my good friend_

We will read...sometimes 'tucked' away in lonely _ unique, personal moments of our own... and at times ALOUD...because we got dreams to remember....

http://tinyurl.com/ylrs27t
Van
Van Canna

Re: Van. . .

Post by Van Canna »

gmattson wrote:What a wonderful treat it was reading your comments. I am so happy that you enjoyed the memories. . .

Best,
George
I think the beauty of that 'Uechi Garden' _George_ is that it will always bloom in many 'individual' magical ways_ everytime one flips open its 'color of memories'...

...and there will be many a tears upon a smile.... :cry:
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

From another old timer. . .

Post by gmattson »

who, like Van, is an important part of American Uechi's history:
George,
It was a cold, rainy and dreary weekend in Boston. I curled up by the fireplace with your new book and was absolutely transported back to a wonderful, magical time. More than once my eyes were moist as I read your recollections of the people and places that meant so much to so many of us. The book warmed me as much as the fireplace did… more, I think. Than you again, endlessly…
Paul

Paul Giella,PhD, CCICMHC
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I've spent a few hours paging through the book and I look forward to reading it in depth. I feel very lucky to be able to read about so much of the history that was made and the founding of Uechi in America and how Uechi has evolved.

I think our art is lucky that George captured our history in this book as an open, objective, and thoroughly entertaining guide through those early years. The history of Uechi is filled with a great deal of energy, ambition, heart, and soul.

I can't wait to read the next sections!

-Dana
Did you show compassion today?
gmattson
Site Admin

Dana. . .

Post by gmattson »

I appreciate your positive comments about the book. Many thanks. . .
GEM
hthom

Post by hthom »

What a book! What a chronicle of and by the Father of American Uechi-ryu. I am glad that I had a head start reading it because I picked up the book from the Winter Camp (regret that I could not stay) instead of waiting for FedEx.

It is a book not only about the last of the modern day Karate masters - Sensei George Mattson from his days as a solder in Okinawa learning from the last masters of a bygone era, it also includes the life of Master Kanbun Uechi from his youth onward. There are many many interesting stories and historical events that make this book a "must" for any serious Uechi-ryu practitioner.

After reading the book I am all "fire up" with doing the Sanchin and katas all over again. It gives me a "new and improved" appreciation and respect for Uechi-ryu.

To extract highlights from the book would require another book. Let me attempt to present a few of the interesting items:

GEM described the sadness of some of the American solders returning to US leaving their Okinawan lovers behind--- which is a san but fond memory that many of us who had spent any time on foreign soil can relate (Also, I didn't know that GEM was a staff sergeant working on monitoring Communist Chinese communications);

GEM's contribution or at least the ideas to the original Uechi-ryu uniform and ranking system and standardizing katas amongst the dojos is impressive;

GEM being the first formal testee in Okinawa and the first Shodan passed by the Uechi-ryu Karate Association;

The mare mentioning of the Columbus Ave dojo brings back fond memories. How time flies. I remember climbing up those stairs for an interview to be a student and yes, I lied-- GEM was teaching a class at the time and I told the designated black belt interviewer (Tom B??) that I was only interested in earning the art and wasn't signing up to learn how to fight. I was also one of those mentioned by GEM who had problem keeping up with the "sadistic" workouts and almost passed out during a session;

I enjoyed reading the explanation of Sanchin and the road to Mushin. GEM offered an excellent example comparing it with driving;

The concept of half hard-half soft is emphasized throughout the book. This is an important basic concept of Uechi-ryu which I noticed for a long while that a lot of young testosterone-overloaded practitioners seem to be ignoring;

I have recently gone through some serious dieting and workouts and losing 15 pounds --- then here I am reading about some rationalization on the benefit of having a few extra inches around the waist for martial art workouts. Can't win;

GEM mentioned the mistakes some teachers made (I did too) that ended up turning away potential students rather than getting them;

GEM presented commentaries from Qi experts and reality trainers. Very interesting;

GEM as usual demonstrated his openness to all Uechi organizations by including commentaries and photos from other organizations such as Okikuki;

Excellent commentaries by Joan Neide and David Moh on breathing and Chi Kung which explained Sanchin as both an internal and external martial art and the power is generated from our Dantien;

The memoir of Yukiaki Yoki of his days in the Mattson Academy is very interesting;

The Kyhon contains many valuable information. David Smith did a wonderful job translating the document to English. Due to the Okinawan writing style, it may take some patience to read the Kyhon. One of the items repeatedly mentioned is breathing. (For those who might have problem understanding the awkward Okinawan explanation of breathing method as translated, I recommend referring to The Root of Chinese Chi Kung by Yang Jwing-Ming);

I also think that the use of the term "Boxer Way" as translated from the Kyhon is rather awkward to read. That term is translated from the word Kenpo, which is a Chinese term for "fist way" or "book of the fist" and is commonly used as another term for kung fu.

Also, I do not mean to be critical but one must use some common sense when reading the Kyhon because there are facts and fictions all blended together. Just sort through some of the obvious one can get a real sense of the history of Uechi-ryu and Master Kanbun Uechi.

Great book. Great job by GEM. By the way, the book itself is beautiful too!!
gmattson
Site Admin

From Scott Higa on Okinawa. . .

Post by gmattson »

Master Mattson,
I called master Ryuko Tomoyose yesterday to make sure he received your book. Indeed, he went to Sensei Takamiyagji’s Dojo yesterday and your book is in his hand now. And he told me to say ,”Thank you very much! “ and he added saying ,”Gan-Batte, Ku-Da-Sa-I (do you best!)” CIAO! Scott
Mind/Body/Spirit
Last edited by gmattson on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
gmattson
Site Admin

More from Scott Higa

Post by gmattson »

To All;
I am about finish reading Sensei George Mattson's new edition of ,"The Way of Uechi-Ryu Karate by George E. Mattson". I recommended strongly whether you are a new student or 35 years of this path like myself. I am about ¾ of reading of this new edition (this new edition is 408 pages by the way!)
I received the book personally by him nearly a month ago. I have been enjoying every page of it! I understand it will publish 500 books ;therefore, you better a hurry to purchase this precious book. There are not many English version of this kind. His address and phone No. is following if you are encourage and learn about our history, technique, philosophy, and many anecdotes.
Address: PO Box 217 Mount Dora, Fl. 32756
Phone No. (321)-273-0409; Fax: (352)-653-3132.
Wish you will enjoy reading a book as much as I do :. Scott Higa
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

My best to Higa Sensei, as well as to Sir Tommy.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Hardcover book sales. . .

Post by gmattson »

I'm very pleased to report that the book should be sold out before September. Even at the new price we are selling a couple a week. Many of these are going over seas to non-Uechi practitioners.

Sue and I will probably try to keep one or two cases for David Berndt's Martial Art Museum.

If you haven't gotten your copy yet. . . don't put it off much longer. Most of the remaining inventory will probably be sold at this year's SummerFest.

Order today by clicking:

http://store.fastcommerce.com/home_EasternArts.html
GEM
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

I am still very slow getting into the book. Not because I want to put it down, but, just been running all the time. (Hard to hold on to such a big beautiful book while running :lol:) The reading and the appearance, both a great work of art. I can only adivse others, they will not regret putting this book in their library. Don't wait and miss out on this one. To George and Susan,,,waiting on your visit, the house, your room and the B's are anxiously awaiting some relaxing time with you. Have sabotaged two dozen golf balls for you to use. Miss you both!!
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Bill . . .

Post by gmattson »

Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else for SummerFest. Please contact Darin Yee to set up the golf match on Thursday.

Stay well and practice your golf game as much as possible. I plan to "kick ass" this year! :)
GEM
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

On a side note...

Alice Cooper says he never has any trouble finding musicians to go on tour with him. And why? Because they play golf every morning, and rock out at night.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”