Walking on the dark side

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Walking on the dark side

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You don't know the power of the dark side!
- Darth Vader from Star Wars

Last night as I was pondering life events, I once again heard this Rolling Stones song. And you know... I've often wondered how The Stones managed to make this song so popular, what with its in-your-face treatment of a dark period in history.

Gold coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in a market down in New Orleans
Scarred old slaver knows he's doing alright
Hear him with the women just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should

One member of my PhD dissertation committee once told me about the first day he was in the physiology lab during a dog experment. Can you say vasovagal? One look at the electrocautery knife cutting into flesh and he passed out on the concrete floor. Man that had to hurt... 8O

Meanwhile, Francoise and I were often like passengers in a ship on The Fantastic Voyage. One person's horror film becomes another person's adventure in science. It isn't like Francoise and I were heartless. Both of us are big time animal lovers. Francoise lived on a farm with dogs and cats, and I made a hobby as a kid raising baby birds that fell out of their nest.

Ever noticed how some topics on here (e.g. karate boobs) can be light conversation for some while causing others to get their panties in a knot?

Ever wonder why some martial artists tend to be on the edge, discussing such off-color subjects? We're sick, right? We weren't properly trained by our mothers, right? Or maybe... It's my observation that such people who often have a dark sense of humor are best prepared when "the schit" comes down. No, I'm not talking about the disinfected cr@p we're fed on prime-time network Tee Vee. I'm talking about the kind of horror that keeps many awake at night, years after the event has taken place.

Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
House boy knows that he's doing alright
You shoulda heard him just around midnight

Brown sugar how come you taste so good, now?
Brown sugar just like a young girl should, now

Ah, get along, brown sugar how come you taste so good, baby?
Ah, got me feelin' now, brown sugar just like a black girl should

Wow, kids. Ole Mick slipped in the back door there with that rock-and-roll now, didn't he? :wink: No, perverts, no pun intended. Although I'm sure Mick still gets all the Satisfaction he needs.

Is this a reflection of character? Or maybe is this one more example of the metaphor of kotekitae? Or as I like to call it in my class, "tasting the hot sauce." That's no big deal, right? Hmm...

Just the other day, one of my karate students (who is a dental assistant) was having a conversation with her dentist boss. Her TKD black belt dentist boss. He's gone back to working out with Dong - a TKD master. So this dentist was asking my student about the best place to pick up some shin pads. Shin pads??? She laughed. So my female student tells him how we regularly beat on each other. We call it kotekitae and ashikitae. He calls it... sick!!!

Go figure. :lol:

Years back when I was a clean, naive kid but had the curiosity that today drives me professionally in the lab, I always wanted to know what drove the "if it feels good, do it" crowd. And you can only go so far reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. So what did I sometimes do? I was the kid that "the freaks" sometimes wanted around to take care of them when/if...

And my son now wonders why he can't get away with anything... :lol:

I said yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
How come you...how come you taste so good?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo
Just like a...just like a black girl should
Yeah, yeah, yeah, woo

And now we have African Americans. And we Americans are like no other country on this earth.

Life happens.

To Rape an Unveiled Woman

In my opinion, those who aren't afraid to face it - but in fact relish living life - are best prepared to deal with it.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Back then...
Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones
My my... Ole Mick was hiding NOTHING in that rendition of the song. On your knees, eh??

...and now.
Brown Sugar-Rolling Stones

And let's not forget the truly bizarre... and heart-thumping.
Tina Turner & Mick Jagger , Brown Sugar

Tina can turn this anti-sugar nut into a sugar lover any day of the week.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Ever noticed how some topics on here (e.g. karate boobs) can be light conversation for some while causing others to get their panties in a knot?

I know it bothers me...because I couldn't sleep a wink last night :wink:
Van
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think it helped that most people couldn't understand a word Mick sang.
Glenn
PreyingMantis

lol

Post by PreyingMantis »

Van Canna wrote:

I know it bothers me...because I couldn't sleep a wink last night :wink:
Simple solution for knoted panties, take them off. Just a thought, LOL. Maybe then you will sleep well :)
Love the Gracefully Arrogant-Mary Ann
PreyingMantis

Mickey....

Post by PreyingMantis »

Glenn wrote:I think it helped that most people couldn't understand a word Mick sang.
Most women only cared about his presence. Somehow as unique as he and Steven Tyler look, (I think they are lost brothers), these two gentlemen are sex icons. Great voices but unusual looks. No one however will ever be able to match their work~Their Lyrics, Their Style. As unique as both of them are, I find them oddly enough very attractive. But I am in my late 40's and you know what that means. ;)
chef

Post by chef »

deleted by poster on second thought
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

chef wrote:
deleted by poster on second thought
How can those fine Greek lips avoid talking about these unusual lips?

They're like you in many ways, young lady. They have that same sense of style.

It's just a crime that...

Oh never mind. :)

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

Answered your question, via text.

That photo shoot of Tyler looked like he was having fun...who wouldn't be under those circumstances?

Vicki
chef

Post by chef »

Thank you for the compliment, Bill.

At my age, you hope there are some characteristics that still appeal. I like it...a sense of style. May I always have it, no matter how old I become.

Vicki
Last edited by chef on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreyingMantis

Steven and Mickey

Post by PreyingMantis »

So you say those guys have Greek lips???? Wow! Well, I guess the old saying goes, "Once you go Greek you never go back, LOL!" I will just have to get a little taste of the Greek side then one day.
chef

Post by chef »

Go for it, Preying Mantis! You may like it. It might be right up your alley (no pun intended).

:roll:

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”