When Karate was king

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVS9OBo6LwI

I remember this one...crazy
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hmm... I wonder if my dentist would object to this hobby... 8O

Just a little too far off the mark for my comfort.

- Bill
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

And if you fail to catch it your neurologist would have his work cut out for him!

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Chip Quimby

Post by Chip Quimby »

Here's one of my favorite kicks - which coincidentally is a kyokushin knockout special. The mechanics used from the chamber position make it very difficult to anticipate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePx8tOZ ... r_embedded#!

Hopefully you're partner's hands are up to protect their face :P

Chip
AuthenticKarateTrainingCenter.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Interesting twist on a simple kick, Chip. Me likes! 8)

I've done my share of downward-trajectory roundhouses in my day. I've just never followed through the way he does. It's like doing the inverse of a spinning hook kick. Neat!

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Quite the killer kick, Chip, thanks.

The chambering is the deception here, from past tournament experiences where a similar deception was used to elicit a reaction by the opponent that leaves him wide open to the intented trajectory 8O

Joey Pomfret used a similar approach when knocking out a National kick boxing champion in a UFC match.

I was just below at ringside when the kick found the left side of the boxer's head...

The 'thud' was sickening as the boxer just collapsed. 8O
Van
Chip Quimby

Post by Chip Quimby »

Hi guys!

No doubt, Joe Promfret is the real deal. I would have loved to have seen him land that kick - and "hear" it too. :lol:

In class last night, we had a lot of fun working on this technique - interestingly though, despite everyone not being equally blessed with flexibility, one of the great peripheral benefits of practicing it is that it makes everyone's leg kicks that much stronger.

I don't think there's any substitute to drilling the support leg - the constant practice of "violently" rotating on the support leg when kicking is so fundamental to creating torque.

But we had a lot fun - and I love it when you find that one drill that truly helps a student connect with a movement - nothing makes a teacher feel better.

Van sensei, you wouldn't happen to know if that match with Joe is on video anywhere? I'd love to see it.

Respectfully,
chip
AuthenticKarateTrainingCenter.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Chip Quimby wrote:
Van sensei, you wouldn't happen to know if that match with Joe is on video anywhere? I'd love to see it.
At least one of Joey's roundhouse KOs is on video, because I've seen it.

IMHO, Joey's KO kick worked for an odd reason. Joey is VERY strong with his grappling game. So when he approaches a certain way, many will prepare for the shoot. If you didn't know Joey, you wouldn't understand why this guy's hands dropped just when the kick came upside his head. But I've grappled with Joey before (for fun, at camp). I know better. ;)

The stronger your ground game is, the stronger your standing game will be. And vice versa. It's like having an inside AND outside game in basketball. Get the folks to collapse on you as you drive for the layup, and pass the ball off to someone sitting patiently in 3-point range. It makes it look like someone missed their blocking assignment. But those who know the game know better.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

What Joe did, and later verified , was to lead the boxer's reflexes to 'think' he was going for a low leg kick and then change trajectory a split second later finding the side of the head exposed.

This was a technique we all practiced in free sparring drills and one preferred by Bob Bethoney, his sensei.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

It worked, Van. He made the guy look stupid.

Same idea; different method.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Joe Pomfret

Post by gmattson »

We have two great dvds . . . vidmag 24 and 25. 24 has the knockout (which I filmed) on it.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”