Alpha with the walking stick

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

CANDANeh

Alpha with the walking stick

Post by CANDANeh »

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/dogwalkattacks.htm

Wait for the pull then step in. Sound familiar? :wink:
Man or beast...use you`re brain to disrupt their balance.
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Interesting piece, Leo.

My dog and I "own" our neighborhood. Many dog owners here have electric fences and let their dogs roam freely. But that doesn't stop them from charging and harassing. In one case, there's this nasty little piece of dust mop (Pomeranian) that comes out like the Looney Tunes Tasmanian Devil. That toy piece of sheet is actually the only dog in the neighborhood to have bitten someone (a kid next door).

The biggest problem I have is controlling my beast. He (an 80 pound Ridgeback) loves everything and everyone, and views a charging, snarling dog just like the lion he was bred to chase. Low center of gravity, all muscle, ball of energy... I can't tell you how many days I've suffered a touch of tendonitis in the hands or elbow from trying to control him with leash while some jerk's dog is foolishly trying to take us on. Great training for the horse stance though...

One thing I learned long ago (as a paperboy and then mowing lawns) is never, ever turn your back on a charging dog. I made that mistake once. I thought that snarling little pooch charging at me would remember the half dozen times we'd made friends. So I ignore him and put the gas in my mower... only to have him do a hit-and-run bite. Why that little bastard!!!!! Dogs understand a loss of zanshin, and they will own you when you make a mistake. Even the little ones need to faced down. Initially the owners in my neighborhood got angry when I was walking my dog (on the street) and stopped to face their charging dog. For as long as I pleased. Eyeing them until they backed down. Taking a step towards them when they did repeated charges. Don't like it? Then put your mutt on a leash!

The thing with me is I don't fear any of the dogs in my neighborhood, and they learn that quickly. I've worked with dogs all my life. There's an unspoken language you learn to speak with posture, that lets them know they're trying to provoke an alpha. Nope... And fear my dog? Little do they know that when/if I was actually to release my dog (and let him run them to death), my leash has a very heavy and nasty stainless steel clip on the end of it. With my nunchaku training...

Furthermore, two able males understand how to take on a challenger as a group. My sister raises Danes at the edge of the Santa Anna desert. She'd let them out of their pens two at a time. When a coyote came near the property, the Danes would never go straight at it. Like a well-choreographed team, they'd split and go in opposite directions... only to converge on the intruder from opposite directions. It was reminiscent of the scene in Jurassic Park where the Raptors worked as a pack to get the experienced hunter. All my dogs have learned how to hunt with me. In my college days, I caught a few stray dogs totally off guard when coming at them from the opposite end of my own.

I did find the article interesting from the standpoint of teaching others. As a person who has a sixth sense about dogs, there are some things I instinctively know that I can't quite articulate. I did find this helpful in that not every person who would ask me for advice would bring the physical presence to a situation that my dog and I would.

One final note... This doesn't always have to be about attacking the attacker. I am now my neighborhood's official Doggie Sugar Daddy. I now walk with a pocketful of dog buscuits. Nothing shuts a yappy dog up faster than having a dog treat frisbeed right in front of them. Some of the more persistent dogs (like the Tasmanian Devil) found out quickly that they can't both bark and eat at the same time. :lol: After several weeks of killing them all with kindness, I'm now the neighborhood Pied Piper. Most of my neighbors love it - especially the one who owns Taz.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:lol: good post
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”