It's not nice to falsify research

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Panther

Post by Panther »

Bill-Sensei,

With the exception of the probiotics, I'm doing most of the other things on your list and in your post. There are some shellfish allergies (not me, never bothered me, but others who live(d) in the house), so I have to be careful with just about all of the glucosamine formulas. I've found one that is made from vegetables, which I recommend for those others and I warn them to stay away from my glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM... we had a scary reaction at one point.

We avoid sugar (especially the artificial "replacements"), High-Fructose Corn Syrup (which I have viewed for a very long time as the hidden poison in foods... haven't had soda in the house for over a decade... don't buy it, but I will admit to having had ~1/yr in the rare situation when I needed something to drink and it was either the best or only choice.), lots of fresh fruit (if I want something besides water - tested well water BTW, I have a juicer & my wife is wonderful about using certain extra pulp for home-made low-fat things.) All of our bread is homemade using whole grains to avoid the myriad of questionable or worse things that come packaged off the shelves. (I love that my wife loves to cook... and cook healthy. She makes some wonderful vegetable or chicken chinese-style ravioli that are great.

Fried anything is avoided... period. And that especially includes junk like chips or non-air-popped popcorn (no "butter" or such on that and it's only a rare "treat" - I'll admit to having spring-rolls on rare occasions... it's a weakness, I know, so I have it maaaaybe once a year or so). Sashimi good... chicken, OK... Lots of veggies/salads withOUT defeating the purpose with stupid fatty "dressings"... a little balsamic vinaigrette - homemade or carefully chosen so there's no unwitting bad stuff hidden in there.)

No Iron for me... I have a "gold" pin from the Red Cross. :wink: Wife "gives" lots of iron. She gets some iron from her "women's" vitamin, but was still borderline anemic at one point... Doc told her to eat a little lean red meat once in a while. For her, it seems her body absorbs the iron from this better than from supplements. I tried to tell her to eat more of the broccoli/spinach, but she says she can only eat so much of that... I can't lecture her... my mother-in-law is in her 80s and going strong. My wife's family are all doing pretty darn good health-wise and it is us "in-laws" that have histories... (my wife's grandmother lived to over 100... she had ONE uncle - out of twelve aunts/uncles - who got prostrate cancer --- in his 90s. He didn't even bother to tell anyone and just chose to live out that last year. People found out when he had ~a month left and told them he already knew why he was sick.) So... her family... 90 yo uncle "died in his prime"... my family... 66 year old uncle "lived a long and full life". 8O I'm trying to be a little more like her family than mine, but I think there are some things that are just the way they are and I'm not going to worry about it. I'll do my best to give myself the best I can...

Thanks for the info on the probiotics... I buy the Omega-3 in smaller amounts, but honestly I never refrigerated them, they're not refrigerated at the store so I didn't think about it. That's probably why I used to feel like, after a bit, they just weren't good (which is why I started getting a little bit at a time.)

On a related note... Since I wrote my previous response, I happened to go to a function which my MD was also at. (We live in the same town) I mentioned what Ian had said about sodium and we had a good conversation about my various numbers/situation and she told me if I wanted to take the time & effort, she'd order for me to go through the whole battery of tests again... Being the type of person that I am, I declined & we shared a knowing smile. We also discussed what we DO want/need to check this time around. My "annual" (I see her more than annually) is in a week or so... I'm fortunate that we're friends and she knows our entire family's folders without having to look things up every-time in the office.

Anyway, this is probably the type of stuff that I should share in PMs from now on...

Take care, mon ami...
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
Panther

Post by Panther »

BTW, We have a septic system and every year when the tank gets pumped I get comments on how "good" (I guess that's a relative term :wink:) it smells. In Mass, there's title 5 for septic systems... mine has been checked twice and passed with flying colors both times. No Rid-X... just good "schit" as you say! :D
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Panther

I refrigerate the fish oil capsules because:

1) fats can go rancid, and

2) it reduces the incidence of "fishy burps."

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”