Snowball and white men dancing

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Snowball and white men dancing

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Got your attention, didn't I? ;)

And yes, it's very much related to martial arts. So what does Dr. Bill have up his sleeve today?

Let's start with some show and tell. I'm sure many of you have seen these videos. The hit count shows them to be absolutely "viral." But this scientist martial artist sees more than a pet that he wishes was his own.

Snowball (TM) - Dancing to Back Street Boys

Snowball (TM) - Another One Bites The Dust

- Bill
KentuckyUechi

Ummm.....Ok.

Post by KentuckyUechi »

I can barely contain myself, can't wait to see where this is going? :lol:
Everything in Moderation
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

From the BBC ---
Some birds have a remarkable talent for dancing, two studies published in Current Biology suggest.

Footage revealed that some parrots have a near-perfect sense of rhythm; swaying their bodies, bobbing their heads and tapping their feet in time to a beat.

Previously, it was thought that only humans had the ability to groove.

The researchers believe the findings could help shed light on how our relationship with music and the capacity to dance came about.

One bird, Snowball, a sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita eleanora), came to the researchers' attention after YouTube footage suggested he might have a certain prowess for dance - especially when listening to Everybody by the Backstreet Boys.

This is a capacity that everyone thought was uniquely human, but we've found evidence that some animals can keep a beat
- Adena Schachner, Harvard University

Dr Aniruddh Patel, from The Neurosciences Institute in San Diego, said: "We found out that the previous owner usually listened to easy listening music, but he did have this one album, and he noticed Snowball bobbing his head to the Backstreet Boys."

To test Snowball's skill, the scientists filmed him as they played his favourite song at various tempos.

Dr Patel told the BBC: "We analysed these videos frame by frame, and we found he did synchronise - he did slow down and speed up in time with the music.

"It was really surprising that he had this flexibility."

Another group, led by Adena Schachner, from Harvard University, also looked at Snowball, as well as another bird, Alex, an African grey parrot (Psittacus erithacus).

Dr Schachner said: "We brought some novel music that we knew Alex had never heard before - so there was no way he had been trained to dance to this music.

"We set up the camera and hit play, and we were shocked to see that Alex started dancing to the beat. He started to bob his head up and down."

While Alex's dance routines were not as elaborate as Snowball's, analysis of the footage revealed that he was also able to match his movements with the music he was hearing.

Dr Schachner said: "This is a capacity that everyone thought was uniquely human, but we've found evidence that some animals can keep a beat."

Song and dance

The scientists believe that the parrots' apparent capacity for dance may be linked to another talent that they share with humans - the ability for vocal learning and vocal imitation.

They believe the part of the brain that evolved to allow us and a handful of other species, including dolphins, songbirds, elephants and some cetaceans, to learn and mimic different sounds may also be responsible for the ability to move in time to music.

To test whether this might be the case, the researchers turned to a vast resource of animal footage - YouTube.

From more than 1,000 videos of different dancing animals, the team found only 33 films that showed animals moving in time to a musical beat.

Dr Patel said: "These 15 species were all vocal learners - 14 parrots and one Asian elephant."

After these initial studies, both teams now want to look more closely at different species' relationship with music.

Dr Patel told BBC News: "No other primates, besides humans, have vocal learning, so there is a strong prediction that no other primates could learn to synchronise to music, even with extensive training.

"However, there are other mammals that have a response to vocal learning - dolphins are a notable category, and I'd love to collaborate with dolphin researchers to find out if dolphins can move to a musical beat."

The scientists believe further research will also provide an insight into how our relationship with music evolved.

Dr Patel said: "Music is a true human universal - it is something we find in every single human culture.

"One of the questions we are asking is whether this is wired into our brains because of evolution, or is it because it builds on other brain systems.

"And this evidence builds on the fact that it is probably linked to other existing brains systems rather than being an adaptation in its own right."

He adds: "You see here a fundamental response to music seen in species that normally don't have a relationship to music in the world.

"They are clearly using a brain system that has a different day job, so to speak."
- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Peregrine Falcoln nabs pigeon in mid air

"This areal speed champion is designed for rapid, high-powered attack."

------------------------------------------------------

High-velocity Peregrine (with attack sequence)

"This is like karate in the air!"

------------------------------------------------------

Note to reader - I found that quote from a National Geographic special AFTER I decided to write this thread. As they say, great minds think alike! 8)

More on white people in a bit. ;)

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

Be careful...

You do realize that it is against the law (some law, I'm sure) for old white men to dance!

That's why we get our groove on in other ways! :lol:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Panther wrote:
Be careful...

You do realize that it is against the law (some law, I'm sure) for old white men to dance!
Honey, hide the children!

Lynch & Liz -- White man Overbite Dance

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

OMG! ROTFLMFAOOL!!!!!

(someone just poked their head in my office and asked what was so funny. I had to catch my breath and blow my nose to get the coffee out before I could show them! :lol: )

I know you picked that because it reminded you of me gettin my groove on!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

It may seem strange to be starting the thread like this. But then sometimes an entertaining sidebar proves something you've felt all along.

My hypothesis is that music training is essential to developing timing in sports. Some people naturally have a sense of rhythm and timing, and don't need much in this regard. Other people need all the help they can get.

I have a tendency at times to blurt out exactly what I think. I have to temper that when at work, or in high society social situations. But in the dojo? Fair game in my book. If you can't have a thick skin in the dojo, you certainly aren't going to fare well in a self-defense situation. Mind you it's important to know that your teacher has your best interest in mind. That aside, it's important in my book to tell it like it is when it comes to self-defense opportunities.

These deficits rear their ugly heads most when I'm doing partner work with students. It could be yakusoku kumite, bunkai kumite, jiyu kumite... It's all the same. Timing is important - period. If you've mastered it, you can beat people much stronger and faster than you. If not, then you'd better hope you have raw athletic skills. And those? You have a decade or two window of time if you're lucky. After that, you're relying on abilities that have nothing to do with raw strength, speed, and power.

What I try to teach ALL my students is how to use timing and knowledge of human physiology and kinesiology to enter a window of opportunity that opens and shuts in a matter of milliseconds. It's somewhat akin to what a batter tries to do with a pitcher when trying to put wood on a ball. If he has some sense of the speed of the ball and can read the spin, he can anticipate when the ball can be in a zone of opportunity. He then times the swing of the bat to intercept the ball. The core muscles provide the caffeine and the peripheral muscles provide the precision of bat placement.

Kata teach us functional combinations which create windows of opportunity. If I stick a foot blade in someone's femoral crease, I can expect the head to come down and forward. That allows me a window of time to grab the head and smash my knee into the face. This in turn buys me enough time to take the person out with an attack to the back of the neck. From kick to neck shot, I've spoken a complete sentence using karate technique vocabulary and the grammar of human movement. I speak the words (techniques) of that language with a timing that makes sense given what's in front of me. I have expectations of what is going to be where, and make fine adjustments to phase-lock into where I need to be at each millisecond of time.

This is what I try to teach. More or less.

And then there are these students who will never get it - no matter how hard I try. The window of opportunity opens; the window of opportunity shuts. They look dumbfounded at what's in front of them and don't have a clue how to exploit it. They can't, right? Not fast enough, right?

Nope... That's not advanced martial movement. You shouldn't have to RELY on raw athletic skills.

So 9 times out of 10 when finding someone like this, I'll ask "the question." The conversation goes something like this.

.......... Bill: Have you ever played a musical instrument?

.......... Student: No

.......... Bill: I can tell.

.......... Student looks insulted...

.......... Bill: Can you dance?

.......... Student laughs hysterically

.......... Bill: Do you like to sing?

.......... Student: I may, but my neighbors feel differently about it all.

And so there you have it.

The intriguing thing about the peregrine falcon is the deficiency it brings to the table when hunting for prey. Right off the starting blocks, it's slower than its prey. So how in the hell is it going to get lunch?

Well...

What the falcon has evolved to doing is using gravity and aeronautical skills to outwit its faster prey. And once it has enough speed to INTERCEPT its prey - at a orthogonal trajectory no less - then it must aim and time its snatch at speeds around 200 mph. That's just friggin amazing.

The falcon in essence uses gravity plus perfect timing to catch a superior flier.

We can use martial sequences, maybe gravity now and then (with throws), and perfect timing to get a technique in the right place at the right time, and with the right speed differential in-between Person A and Person B.

But if you've never played an instrument and learned how to keep timing with a beat...

If you can't dance...

If you can't sing...

I can't help you.

Meanwhile... Look at these individuals who used concepts learned in music and quite possibly transferred their skills elsewhere in ways not intended. Mind you the following is possible. When it comes to their music in the off-hours...

"They are clearly using a brain system that has a different day job, so to speak."

But they're exercising important parts of their brain when they play music.

It's said that music helps with spacial thinking and reasoning. Ya think??

It's said that music can teach you timing. In comedy??

Can NBA players dance? You'd be surprised... or maybe not. Consider how BIG these players are, by the way. We're talking 7 footers. We usually think of tall people as being awkward.

NBA Stars Dancing 2008

Vince Carter and company

And is timing important in basketball?

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

So for some inspiration...

street dancing fighters

I'd take any of these folks as students in my dojo.

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

Bill-Sensei,

Sent you a PM...
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I replied.

And you owe us some of those life experiences you alluded to in part of your PM. That's very much what it's all about, my friend. Sometimes we don't know why we can do what we do until we remove an important ingredient.

FWIW... I still remember seeing the Uechis play music for us on Thompson Island circa 1984. Mind you that traditional Okinawan music is a bit difficult to listen to if your music tastes are provincial. But it was a lot of fun seeing the Uechis be "real" in the off hours.

You'd be surprised at how many seniors and senior seniors among us play music. Maybe not well, but... They enjoy themselves nonetheless. And that's all that matters.

These days I've rediscovered my piano talent (long story...) by being a 2nd teacher to number 2 son. He insists that I sit with him when he practices, and I love it. I make him use good technique. And then I impose the dictatorial timing of the electronic metronome, and make him play with me. He hates it... and loves it all at the same time. He's actually getting quite good now. My greatest regret is not having someone like yours truly showing me what I can show him today when I was his age.

- Bill
Panther

OK... I'll share...

Post by Panther »

First off, I'm sorry, but sometimes I get leery of sharing too much for a number of reasons. I don't want it to come back against me somehow (that's happened), I don't want anyone to think I'm playing the "sympathy" or "oh woah is me" cards (so I share with people I trust and feel like they understand), and finally, sometimes it's... well... never-mind.) Thanks for the other info Bill-Sensei. Anyway, here's what Bill-Sensei was urging me to share:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT analogy!

I spent over 25 years playing music (20 of that professionally) at the same time I was progressing in MA training. I had been told in those years that 1) I could dance, 2) my kata was excellent <good enough to win trophies waaaaay back then>...

Then, as you know, schit happens. (As Bill-Sensei & Van-Sensei say sometimes "bad sheet"!) I not only felt, but knew internally that I'd lost my timing. I no longer danced and wasn't playing music at all. About 10 years before that proverbial schit, I had changed careers (for economic reasons), so I was able to continue with that even tho things had happened to make me lose my way both musically and MA-wise. (During that change, I'd maintained playing with bands and working out.)

So... After things got messed up, I did some production/promotion & sound work, but I didn't play music for quite awhile... no keyboards, no drums, no guitar, no bass, no harp (harmonica), and definitely no horns! ( Another aside: When you're trying to pay the bills, go to physical therapy, having a hard time sitting to work, and worried about getting from point A to B with the pain, the last thing on your mind is sitting at a kit/keyboard/etc and PT became my very tough MA workout! As Bill-Sensei & a few others know, when I first decided to get back into MA, I had just really started to walk on my own again. I decided to get back into MA because I was visiting the incredible Ms. Chojin as part of my therapy and she'd helped me with the pain enough that I decided to give it a go. That year at summerfest, I had actually only been walking without assistance for just over a year and my timing really sucked! I should also mention that a LOT of folks were very helpful and kind to me. Khoury-Sensei, M. Chojin <who never liked for me to call her "Sensei" so I won't>, Van-Sensei, Bill-Sensei, George-Sensei, a bunch of others who I hope I don't offend by not mentioning them....)

A few years later my 14-year-old (at the time) daughter wanted to learn to play drums and my 15-year-old (at the time) daughter wanted to learn to play bass. I was still on a path of recovery, but went out and bought them a kit & bass respectively and picked up an old guitar I had. That lasted for a bit and then dropped off. They got busy (as teenagers do) & I went back to not playing. In the past few years my drummer daughter has moved and wanted her kit. It just so happens that it was setup in my son's bedroom and when I sent it, he got a little upset because he had started his first attempts at it. So.... I broke out my old kits ('68 Slingerland & '73 Ludwig kits, they don't make them like that anymore) and set them up in our living room. I also put out a couple of guitars on stands (even tho the bass has disappeared from the house) and have three different keyboards set up as well. My son loves it.

When I had started teaching my daughter drums, I quickly realized just how badly my timing had gotten. (some people were surprised and told me I sounded good, but I know how it used to be.) I'm gradually playing the kit again and let me tell you... it is a sloooooow journey trying to get back what has been lost and it can be frustrating at times (just like MA) when you used to do something and can't get it to happen now. BUT, I can see the difference. It takes time, but it's worth it... well worth it. (In MA, I used to do those fancy-shmancy reverse jumping spinning kicks... now I can't even do a proper side kick, barely a front kick... but I'm vertical and I'm trying. I've also found that I haven't had call to do any of those kicks when confronted either.)

And on another, related note, it has helped me in 1) shooting, 2) general coordination, and 3) adjusting myself in a fast-changing dynamic multiple person environment!

And I've actually had some "customers" at one of my extra jobs start dancin with me to get my groove on again... I'm sure it looks just like the video Bill-Sensei linked to! :mrgreen:

Take care...
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”