Out of time or out of miles ?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Out of time or out of miles ?

Post by Van Canna »

New car auto warranties

What’s your view on this Bill:

Say you buy a new car with a warranty of 4 years or 50 K miles_ whichever comes first.

Say you have several cars that you drive on and off on different days.

Mileage will be low on an aging new car.

Is it better to let your warranty _ first expire in mileage_ or time?
Van
Bill Glasheen

Re: Out of time or out of miles ?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van Canna wrote:
Is it better to let your warranty _ first expire in mileage_ or time?
That's a really good question, Van, and one I have to think about a bit.

There are a few concepts to consider here. I think pondering them will help you arrive at the right answer for you.
  • An engine's life isn't so much how much MILEAGE is on it. Rather it's about the number of REVOLUTIONS that the engine has gone. This is why someone who does only highway driving will get many more miles out of an engine (because you're in 5th gear at low RPM most of the time), and why diesel engines last so long (because you have near-peak torque at very low RPM). Meanwhile, city driving actually makes a car not last as long - for all the reasons mentioned above plus the wear/tear on the brakes and transmission.
  • Cars need to be driven. Cars that sit long will have deposits form from gasoline sitting in one place. And seals will shrink, making it possible for some really bad things to happen. Tires also can get "flat spots" and can even start to age. So for instance if you're not going to use your lawnmower over the winter, run it until it runs out of gas. And if you're going to let a car sit for a few months, don't expect it to run well when you start using it again.
  • Most things that will go wrong with a vehicle happen in the first year or so of steady driving. You get those annoying things fixed, and then you've broken it in for a more settled pace of things going wrong.
  • Cars depreciate at wildly varying rates.
  • Some people trade a car in every few years. Others (such as your truly) drive them until they need to be picked up by The Kidney Foundation (for parts).
I think in general it's good to have a nice pace, so you get the years and miles to match as you reach the end of a warranty. But if you have a really special vehicle that never messes up, well then drive the hell out of it and don't worry about it being out of warranty. On the other side of the spectrum, some cars are destined to become collector's items. If you're a Jay Leno, then maybe you don't want to put so many miles on a car.

Hope that helps.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks Bill…excellent points.

1. > An engine's life isn't so much how much MILEAGE is on it. Rather it's about the number of REVOLUTIONS that the engine has gone. <

OK…as you know my BMW has the Steptronic transmission…where you can flip the shift lever to the left and be in ‘sports mode’…giving you the choice to either shift manually or automatically, but with increased engine revs…providing much more pick up and go…musical exhaust tone….and more gas consumption.

I also had a Dinan high flow throttle body installed.

And I have a habit of braking by downshifting to save the brakes….but with lots of engine revs as a result.

So do you think I am overworking the revs?
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

2. > Cars need to be driven. Cars that sit long will have deposits form from gasoline sitting in one place. <

The Bimmer might sit only a few days at a time before getting back out on the freeway _ where I, now and then, kick it into sports mode and enjoy the sound and the fury of the engine. Same with my other car that I use selectively.

Would you do anything different?
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

3. > I think in general it's good to have a nice pace, so you get the years and miles to match as you reach the end of a warranty. <

The problem is the extra driving that I would have to do just to match years and miles on several owned cars.

I guess it is a real problem…but a car sitting a few days at a time is no problem right?
Van
Panther

Post by Panther »

I think Bill's point about if it's a good car drive it and don't worry is excellent.

I had a vehicle which I had seviced religiously. When the transmission when on it, it was 2 (yes two) miles before the warranty was going to expire! The dealer was more than a little peeved and tried in a number of ways to make it "my fault", but they couldn't because they had serviced it... religiously. I got rid of that vehicle right after that. with much less than 100k miles on it.

Right now I have a vehicle that I drive quite a bit. In the summer, I ride the bike, so it sits sometimes for more than a few days. I've let it sit from weekend to weekend when it was nice weather and I was on the bike, only starting it up and moving it for a bit on those weekends. This thing is going strong and is WAY out of warranty (almost 263k miles) and I get it serviced every spring and every fall whether it needs it or not! :lol: My mechanic (who knows my wife's car, my other car and the bike get serviced "right on time") is on me every time I take it in because invariably the oil has about 5X the mileage on it that he "recommends" from the last change. I just tell him that's it's been changed... one qt at a time as it needs it and he rolls his eyes. Best vehicle I've had. I'm afraid to treat it any differently! It would rebel! I haven't made payments on that vehicle in YEARS. A little while back, it needed about $1000 worth of work. Someone suggested that I get rid of it, but I know this vehicle and except for the previously mentioned twice a year, I haven't put much into it in a number of years. Soooo, I paid the $1000 and kept going... over a year now with no other repairs needed. I know some things will need to be done, but it's worth it on this one!

So, if it's a good vehicle, enjoy it and don't worry about it. If it's a vehicle where you have to "worry about it", then...

Good luck...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Problem is....if it is a problem....that I have several cars ...and it is hard to find the time to drive them all to match mileage to time.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van Canna wrote:
Problem is....if it is a problem....that I have several cars ...and it is hard to find the time to drive them all to match mileage to time.
Would you like me to come pick up your Bimmer and give it the love that it most assuredly deserves? :wink:

I have one of my extended-mileage vans out on semi-permanent loan. I just couldn't bear to see it sit, but I need it as a backup. The engine in it should last 300K and it's cheaper than dirt to keep on the road. So someone in dire financial need gets to drive it. Barring any catastrophic wreck, it'll be a Good Samaritan act that'll serve me well in the next lifetime.

- Bill
Panther

Post by Panther »

I hear you Van-Sensei... Too many toys, not enough time... That's a real problem! I feel for you... honest, I really do! :lol: :wink:
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:mrgreen:
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”