TRT editorial - Bush policies failing??

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote:
4) The first successful artificial heart (Jarvik-7) implant in 1984
Actually it was the next several after the first - if you consider the case of Barney Clark a success. And these next several were performed at - you guessed it.

Isn't it amazing how initially a cardiac surgeon got all the press (Dr. William DeVries), when really it was about the brilliance of the biomedical engineer? It was a reason why I evolved away from research in cardiology at UVa. There was always some MD standing on your shoulders, taking credit for your work. But I have no complaints. We were good for each other - until it was time to move on. It's the nature of business relationships.

Still... the professional jealousy continues to this day.
Starting in 2006, Jarvik has appeared in television commercials for Pfizer Pharmaceutical's cholesterol medication Lipitor. Two members of Congress began an investigation as to whether his television advertisements constitute medical advice given without a license to practice medicine.
Puuleeeeze!!!!! The dude's a biomedical engineer AND later picked up an MD for grins. He just didn't do a residency. No need to; he's done well without it.

FWIW, did you know that Jarvik is married to Marilyn vos Savant (highest measured IQ at 228)? There's some IQ horsepower for you. Kids though from a previous marriage. It would have been an interesting mix of DNA if...

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

My mistake, I had in my mind that the 1984 implant into Bill Schroeder in Louisville had been the first, I had forgotten about Clark's implant at the University of Utah in 1982. Clark lived for 112 days on his artificial heart, even though he never got to leave the hospital I would consider that a success. Schroeder was the second recipient (DeVries having relocated from Utah to Louisville during the interim), he ultimately was able to leave the hospital and lived for almost two years with his artificial heart, albeit with severe complications such as strokes.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote:
he ultimately was able to leave the hospital and lived for almost two years with his artificial heart, albeit with severe complications such as strokes.
And thanks to him, biomedical engineers were able to learn about the causes of these clots, including turbulent flow and prosthetic material issues.

- Bill
eric235u

Post by eric235u »

sorry. one more reagan post and i'll stop.

for those of you old enough to remember. certain rock and rap albums were deemed offensive. we had politicians on the left and right in the '80s seriously considering writing laws to limit our freedom of speech. one of my favorite musicians, frank zappa, testified before congress on the matter. he also was on a popular show called cross fire and debated the issue. my favorite quote was this:

"the biggest threat to america today is not communism, it's moving america toward a fascist theocracy and everything that has happened during the reagan administration is steering us right down that pipe."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc
Panther

Post by Panther »

I always liked/loved Frank Zappa. Many don't realize it, but he was actually a "conservative" (meaning someone who wants to "conserve" the unalienable freedoms we have). RIP Mr. Zappa... You are missed...

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”