Our confusing times

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor Smith

Our confusing times

Post by Victor Smith »

Hmmm - how to read this

US Supreme Court affirms BAN on Aiding Groups Tied to Terror http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/us/po ... us.html?hp

And what the US Government won't police our boarders...

As a karate school is not a government, or a federal agency (and I assume not receiving government funding) does an intelligent instructor ban teaching non-citizens if they turn out to be tied to terrorists? Just to protect themselves ...

If such a Supreme Court decision had been out prior to 911 would the flight schools that provided training be liable?

Very confusing situation.

In my case teaching for free I dont' make student decisions, the Boys and Girls club does that. The actual selection is a wide range of all the student possibilities.

For my adult program, also for free, each student must pass the Boys and Girls Club background check to use our facility.

But if I was teaching elsewhere I wonder how to approach this issue?
Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu
IJ

Post by IJ »

The case wasn't about people unknowingly training terrorists to fly, as part of the normal operations of a flight school. It was about knowingly providing aid to groups that use terror, whether or not that aid promoted terror or instead promoted humanitarian aims or peace. Karate schools have nothing to worry about (plus it's a little easier to terrorize with a handgun; karate is way too much work).
--Ian

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”