>> Personal announcement <<

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yup...Fred...the exhale is the key :lol:
Van
robb buckland

Another Neighbor

Post by robb buckland »

Congratulations ........Best of luck....My friend Joe Hess live s near there I will get you his contact info ......An interesting guy who knows if all goes well I might see you on an episode of burn notice with him !!!!!
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Here's the Louisville night skyline - as seen across the Ohio river from Indiana.

I'll be working in one of those prominent buildings. (But not the one you think, Glenn ;))

One of the better minor league stadiums I've ever seen.

This is where some of the first artificial heart transplant operations were performed.

New Louisville Cardinals basketball arena - under construction when I was there in April.

This is a view of Main Street. One of the "skyline" buildings (right foreground) is artfully designed so that - from this angle - it blends into the early Louisville architecture.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

I love it...so American :)
Van
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Just came back from a very nice dinner with Bill and some of his Uechi folks. Good food, good conversation with good people.

Bill, you're a pain in the tush, but then again so am I.:lol: Best of luck and hope to see you soon.

PS Get writing. I'll be pestering you about the book.
I was dreaming of the past...
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I just discovered this discussion, so some catching up to do.
Bill Glasheen wrote: I plant almost all Native plants.

Bluegrass is wonderful stuff - where it grows well. I needed some strong fescues to hold my sloped land together, as I have wetlands behind me. But the bluegrass is finding its niche and thriving.
I assume you know Kentucky Bluegrass is not native to Kentucky, or even North America for that matter :wink:
Bluegrass tends to do pretty well in Kentucky lawns, there is generally enough precipitation most years to support it (unlike here in Nebraska where people try to grow Bluegrass and have to run up their water bills to keep it alive).

Native is always the way to go for plants. You will have some different options in Kentucky. Even though you are not changing latitude much (roughly 37.5 degrees to 38.5 degrees), you're moving away from that moderating ocean so Louisville has a lower average annual minimum temperature than does Richmond. As a result you are changing from USDA 1990 Hardiness Zone 7A (minimum temps 0 to 5 F) to Zone 6A (minimum temps -5 to -10 F). The 2006 Arbor Day Foundation revision of the USDA Hardiness Zone map includes Louisville itself in Zone 7 due to the urban heat island effect, while the surrounding areas are still Zone 6, but I don't think I would rely on that heat island effect too much.

This Native Plants for Landscape Use In Kentuckypdf co-published by the Louisville Water Company and Louisville Metro Government might be useful to you. It seems very thorough, and also includes numerous resources for further info.
Bill Glasheen wrote: So your flip comment is actually not so flip to someone like Glenn.
:D
KentuckyUechi wrote: Glenn can't be trusted!
Shhh, let Bill find that out for himself!
KentuckyUechi wrote: He's not even a native species. He still bleeds Wildcat Blue!
Always have, always will!
Bill Glasheen wrote: I'll be working in one of those prominent buildings. (But not the one you think, Glenn)

You mentioned before that you will be working in a tower by the headquarters and not in the headquarters itself, so I'm thinking of a different building then the one you are thinking I am thinking of. :wink:
Depending on where your office is in that building, and whether you have a window or not, you could have some views of the other buildings and surroundings.

Louisville also has these two National Historic Landmarks:

The Belle of Louisville

Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby

So Bill, how do you pronounce "Louisville"? :wink:

Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I got pictures of the Belle of Louisville. Reason? It's exactly like a similar boat in Richmond - The Annabel Lee. Both Louisville and Richmond are river cities.

My wife and number 1 son have birthdays 2 days apart. We had a tradition of doing the tour every year, which includes dinner, music, and a ride down the river east of the fall line. You'd go down the river to Jimmy Dean's home, and turn back. More often than not - he'd come out of his mansion and onto the lawn of his back yard to wave at the passengers. Silly tradition, but a quaint local one nonetheless.

May he rest in peace.

We Virginians have our own horse riding and horse racing traditions. Foxfield races occurs every year. It's a reason for the UVa crowd to party. Oh, and there are horses there running around the many revelers dressed in their racing best.

As for where I'll be working, well I hear that's up in the air. Anyhow this is a nighttime view from the Indiana side of the Ohio river, looking south towards Louisville.

"Headquarters" is that very unusual building you see. "The --- tower" is the generic-looking skyscraper just east (left) of it.

Here's a daytime view.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote:
So Bill, how do you pronounce "Louisville"? :wink:

If we're talking about the bat, well then it's..

Looeyville Slugger

We baseball players have our ways. In any case, a Louisville Slugger bat is to baseball as Everlast equipment is to boxing.

If we're talking about the city, well... I got trained on...

Loouhvull

Here's the audio of Louisville.

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

With the similarities between Richmond and Louisville, you should fit right in. I've heard of the Annabel Lee, named after an Edgar Allen Poe poem if I recall. I had an interest in paddlewheelers when I was kid, even got to ride on the Belle once with my grandparents. One of these years during a trip to Kentucky I hope to be able to take the kids on her.
Bill Glasheen wrote: "Headquarters" is that very unusual building you see. "The --- tower" is the generic-looking skyscraper just east (left) of it.
Yep, that is the tower I was thinking of. The AEGON Center is another nice-looking building, particularly when lit up at night. At night both your headquarters and AEGON enhance the skyline viewed from the river. As for your office location being up in the air, I hope that is not literal!
Bill Glasheen wrote: Loouhvull
Here's the audio of Louisville
That's how I was trained growing up there, although occassionally I will use Looeyville. There is a Louisville Nebraska not far from Lincoln that is pronounced Lewisville...after 19 years I still have not gotten use to it, and get odd looks when I call it Loouhvull.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I have arrived. Nothing like driving in the evening and night with a Red Sox game on the XM radio, tunes, and friends who call you (on my "hands free" system) to make the drive short.

Even with my modest temporary abode here, it takes time to orient and adjust. But obviously I now have internet.

Believe it or not, I have 2 potential karate students on just my second day here. I found a large gym around the corner from where I'm staying. And if they let me teach, the salesman and former football player wants in. And the girl at the Office Depot throws shot and discus in college, and begged me to take her on as a student while she was on summer vacation. (I commented that she was an athlete, and I pegged it.) So it won't take long for me to find someone to pound on me. It's that itch that needs to be scratched. ;)

Here's to getting back to a routine!

- Bill
mhosea

Re: >> Personal announcement <<

Post by mhosea »

Bill Glasheen wrote:I have just been offered a good position with a Fortune 100 company in Louisville, KY. First day is July 19.
I'm a little slow on the uptake as I've been away much of the time from mid-June to mid-July. Congratulations. I've been through several new-job-in-new-city experiences, and it's always fun. It's stressful, of course, but exciting. Of course some moves were better than others. My wife reminds me that Dekalb, Illinois (NIU) er...wasn't exactly her cup of tea. The locale seemed OK to me. What bothered me was my own poverty. :D
Camp? I'm going to TRY to make it. Stay tuned.
:lol: Sounds gratuitously difficult to me, but I guess you are the sort of guy who likes a challenge.
Mike
Mary Chant

Post by Mary Chant »

Hi, Bill. Long time, no post, so I was surprised to hear about your move. Congratulations. Every time I travel to the south, Louisville included, I enjoy myself. I wish you and your family much success with this transition, and can't think of anyone better equipped to make the move.

Mary
Kuma-de

Re: >> Personal announcement <<

Post by Kuma-de »

Bill Glasheen wrote:I have just been offered a good position with a Fortune 100 company in Louisville, KY. First day is July 19.

Yes, this is a good thing. They found me on a professional networking site.

Yes, I will be getting a residence in/around Louisville.

No, I don't (yet) know what I'll do with my residence in Virginia. Yet. It's complicated.

Yes, I will open a dojo - sooner or later - in/around Louisville.

Camp? I'm going to TRY to make it. Stay tuned.

- Bill
Bill,

I've been away from the forum lately. Congratulations! :angel:

I picked up an interview on a Emergency Management Radio program and a sub-contractor job for Homeland Security recently due to my postings and involvement on LinkedIn's various groups.

Great Stuff,

JP :shocked!: :multi:
Jim Prouty
New England Budo Center

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”