Rory's SummerFest Seminar Ideas. . .

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Rory's SummerFest Seminar Ideas. . .

Post by gmattson »

Rory wants to know what everyone wants to work on at SummerFest. How about giving him some feedback. . .
George asked me to drop in with some ideas of stuff to cover.

Hands on stuff-- how does everyone feel about elements of ground movement? Or working against a knife at extremely close range? Or re-cap the counter-assaults (Spearhead, Dracula's cape and the counters to rear attacks?) Been doing some fun stuff with blindfolded infighting. Chaos management/manhandling/fighting with dynamics? Core fighting (controlling limbs through the shoulder girdle, spine and pelvis)? Short range power generation? Infighting strikes and kicks?

Talks... have we actually had a class on the law of self-defense? That would be good. The seven elements of self-defense (preview of next book) would work. I'd love to do one on violence dynamics- the different types of attacks and attackers and relevant avoidance and de-escalation strategies.

Any of that sound good?

Rory
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Re: Rory's SummerFest Seminar Ideas. . .

Post by Bill Glasheen »

No wonder Rory said he wanted to chat. :lol:

Lots of good stuff there. The funny thing is I was thinking about at least one of those topics, only from a more theoretical point of view. (Soon to be book...)

How bout if I just comment on what Rory wrote. Maybe it'll get a conversation going here, which will help Rory decide what has the broadest appeal and/or most intense interest.
Rory Miller wrote:
Hands on stuff-- how does everyone feel about elements of ground movement?
From a selfish standpoint, I'm all for this. Last time we worked together, he had this list of ten principles of grappling. Rory has an amazing mind - one that an ENTP can appreciate. He sees the patterns and can reduce a bundle of information down to a handful of principles.

If Rory does this, you Uechika get your butts in his class. I've brought his lessons straight to the dojo. It is the yin to our Uechi yang, as classical Uechi is a good bridge in-between stand-up and ground fighting.

For those who don't know, Rory's background is in Sosuishitsu Ryu Jujutsu. It's a very old style. Translation - real fighting as opposed to sport fighting.
Rory Miller wrote:
Or working against a knife at extremely close range?
This would pair up well juxtaposed with a Raffi class on Filipino knife fighting. Raffi is the real deal here. Is he coming? Rory would love his class, and most likely vice versa.
Rory Miller wrote:
Or re-cap the counter-assaults (Spearhead, Dracula's cape and the counters to rear attacks?)
Bruce Witherell and I were poking each other during this class. Rory's three basic methods for entering a bad guy's defenses turn out to be motions that explain three classic movements in Uechi Ryu kata. Little did Rory know... Little did WE know...

This however would be a been-there, done-that for me. But ALL Uechika should see this. (And if they don't get it, I can help show them...)
Rory Miller wrote:
Been doing some fun stuff with blindfolded infighting.
Discovering the chi sao in Uechi Ryu. No big deal for a Wing Chun practitioner. A new thing for a Uechika who only looks to Okinawa for interpretations of The Big Three.
Rory Miller wrote:
Chaos management/manhandling/fighting with dynamics?
Need more information. Sounds very intriguing. I'll bet Van would love this.

And I'm wondering if it might help add some depth to my barroom brawl training exercise.
Rory Miller wrote:
Core fighting (controlling limbs through the shoulder girdle, spine and pelvis)?
Yet another good example of finding the Chinese roots in our style shaped by Okinawans. We're all about infighting, and yet we don't learn it via the traditional Okinawa yakusoku and bunkai kumite.
Rory Miller wrote:
Short range power generation? Infighting strikes and kicks?
Something we do well anyway. Or supposed to...

I've been pondering a class on the basic core movements that fuel said power and techniques.
Rory Miller wrote:
Talks... have we actually had a class on the law of self-defense? That would be good. The seven elements of self-defense (preview of next book) would work. I'd love to do one on violence dynamics- the different types of attacks and attackers and relevant avoidance and de-escalation strategies.
Good topic for the tent, or maybe even an after-Friday-dinner informal lecture.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

This should be number one priority for us all, and I mean 100% attendance would be critical, because unless we have an indepth understanding of the above...all the other seminars chock full of techniques on the ground, above ground or underground...won't do us a damn bit of good...on the street, in the church or in jail behind bars.

Yet, this is the last thing TMA practitioners even think about.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

George you will need a bigger tent. :D
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Getting Canadian support!!!

Post by gmattson »

Atta way Troy and Victor. . .
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 10:40 AM
To: gmattson@uechi-ryu.com
Subject: Re: 2010 SummerFest News

Dear George.....I am happy to report that as well as Sensei Victor Swinnimer and myself,we are also bringing 5 of our students with us.Can't wait to see everyone at the camp.
Respectfully.
Troy Varner
Hi Troy:
That is indeed good news. . . Enrollment is slow and perhaps if I let people know you guys are coming, they will want to be there as well! :)

Talk up the camp; we need the bodies this year. Don’t forget. . . if anyone needs some financial help, we will provide scholarships. . .

Thanks for your support and help. Looking forward to seeing you all and working out with you.

Best,
George
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Roy Bedard. . .

Post by gmattson »

Taken from Roy's facebook: (BTW- check out "Fests" forum for more updates)

Roy Bedard
Hi George, I'm taking suggestions!!! I've covered weapon defense, close quarter combatives, legal issues, fitness development, competition techniques, ground defense, and weapon handling in past years. I am happy to repeat some of these topics or explore new ones if the students want to discuss emerging trends.
18 minutes ago ·

George Mattson
One of your sessions definitely should be "fitness development and competition techniques." I'm going to be stressing the health issue and importance for training correctly to extend practitioners' training career. Too little is emphasized on correct training in the search for the quickest way to accomplish physical goals. . . with consequences overlooked! What you do with these subjects blends perfectly into the goals of this year's SummerFest!
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

Soooo, what does everyone want?
Manhandling/dynamics/chaos management are all inter-related, basically a reminder that fights aren't static and you will be mauled, lifted, crashed into and thrown. It's all kinetic energy and if you aren't ready for it, it will mess you up... but if you are ready for it, almost everything can be exploited.

Rory
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

RA Miller wrote:Soooo, what does everyone want?
Manhandling/dynamics/chaos management are all inter-related, basically a reminder that fights aren't static and you will be mauled, lifted, crashed into and thrown. It's all kinetic energy and if you aren't ready for it, it will mess you up... but if you are ready for it, almost everything can be exploited.

Rory
Amen...a nice .45 would come in handy :lol:
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Rory, I think that most people reading this don't really know what they want.

Without the experience, such as you have outlined in your book _ 'meditations on violence' _ I think it is difficult for the average students attending camp to really know what they should focus on to complement their 'tactical Uechi' _

TMA techniques, without a tactical 'know how' _ as you wrote_ can land someone in big trouble.

These 'tactics' are something you could try to get across...though most will still think the 'right Uechi' "don't need no tactics" :lol:

Maybe if we 'diss' a few people..they'll take notice :?: :wink:
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

RA Miller wrote:
Soooo, what does everyone want?
Sounds like a good time to me, Rory. We engineer/athletes have a great appreciation for Newton's Laws as well as mathematical chaos. Anything better than Brownian motion sounds like a plan to me.

Did I just make sense?? ;)

I'm looking forward to it, as well as looking forward to catching up.

My best to Kami.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

What do the students want???

Post by gmattson »

Van is correct. . . Camp participants don't really know what they should be studying. . . they are looking into what the presenters are recommending.

Most of us live in a world where the only violence we see is on TV and play on our game-boy. Trying to predict and prepare for "what might really happen" is like trying to prepare for a lightening strike.

What do you thing we should be learning from you during camp?
GEM
Van Canna

Re: What do the students want???

Post by Van Canna »

gmattson wrote:Van is correct. . . Camp participants don't really know what they should be studying. . . they are looking into what the presenters are recommending.

Most of us live in a world where the only violence we see is on TV and play on our game-boy. Trying to predict and prepare for "what might really happen" is like trying to prepare for a lightening strike.

What do you thing we should be learning from you during camp?
And this is great post George...right on the money.

When Maloney and I attended the 'Duelatron' combat scenarios, as set up by John Farnam [Defense training International] ...he told us what we needed to learn, before we even thought of resolving a problem with the continuum from empty hands to lethal weapons...

A real eye opener. Most of us, and that's a fact...know beans about real violence on the street, in all its permutations...yet we feel adequate ...

Good Idea for Rory to educate us in what we, realistically, should know to survive street violence...and not simply develop techniques for sparring or grappling...and to keep it as simple as possible...

....then set up some scenarios ahead of time for students to solve.
Van
Van Canna

One scenario...

Post by Van Canna »

Would be...to hang the 'Uechi Golden Fleece' from one of the trees...and see who can get to it first...with some of the 'Hydra' at the base of the tree to prevent it.

:lol:
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

JuniorFest Newsletter

Post by gmattson »

GEM

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”