Injury risk while traveling

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Injury risk while traveling

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Some time back, I was invited to Germany for about a week to teach at a dojo in Regensburg, Germany. The dojo was started by Bruce Hirabayashi, my student.

Bavaria is one of God's special places on this earth. Good times!

The first day I arrived, Bruce had me do a one-on-one workout with his two star students. So I'm doing dan kumite with this fellow while suffering from jet lag. He does a roundhouse kick, and I receive it with my "cross block." Mind you that some of the Germans are BIG boys, and can hit hard. It's normally not a bid deal, except for that day.

Believe it or not, he sprained my elbow. It was quite the freakish accident.

I spent the entire trip in pain. I made it through fine, but the trip was something less than what it could have been had I not been hurting. I went sleepless for two nights, which didn't help.

Bruce told me that other Uechi instructors had visited, and similarly injured themselves while there. They were all freakish injuries.

So I read this article today, and it got me wondering. Do we need to be careful when traveling across time zones and demanding a lot from our bodies?

Food for thought.

- Bill
Red Sox catcher Martinez breaks left thumb on foul tips

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Red Sox catcher Victor Martinez has a broken left thumb, the latest injury for banged-up Boston.

Martinez left Sunday's 5-1 win at San Francisco and was replaced by Jason Varitek in the bottom of the fourth. Martinez took two foul tips off his thumb, which swelled up so much he couldn't stay in the game. An X-ray revealed the fracture.

The Red Sox did not know whether Martinez will need to go on the disabled list -- Martinez didn't think so. He will be re-evaluated on Monday's off-day.

"It's not a given that he'll go on the DL but it's not a given that he'll be OK, either," manager Terry Francona said. "We'll get him examined tomorrow and we'll see where we go from there."

Boston is already missing star second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who recently broke his left foot. Clay Buchholz, a 10-game winner, left his start Saturday after one inning because of a hyperextended left knee that he hurt running the bases.

That made for three injuries in three days against the Giants.

"We definitely want to get out of here," Martinez said.
- SI.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

What you write Bill...is interesting...just imagine the world cup players in Africa....It's a 90-minute war on the pitch, and soccer bodies break down across time zones, something awful.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van Canna wrote:What you write Bill...is interesting...just imagine the world cup players in Africa....It's a 90-minute war on the pitch, and soccer bodies break down across time zones, something awful.
I took a peek, Van, and it didn't take long to find a trail of evidence.

2010 FIFA World Cup: World Cup Breakdown: Injuries

I don't think it's the different location per se, but the change in location and the time it takes for the body's biological clock to reset.

I remember talking with Art Rabesa over a meal about how he and Jimmy Malone went over to Okinawa for a while. Uechi Kanei had asked for them to spar, and both Jimmy and Art agreed to do so. But their stipulation was that they wait a week. They sensed (by whatever means) that their bodies needed the time to adjust to being halfway around the world.

And spar they did. I believe Art was giving Jimmy a hard time for not leaving anyone for him to spar. Let's just say the word "Next!" was used a few times. ;)

- Bil
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

True...and the injury potential is even geater when taking on the 'Brazilian team' my favorite to win the cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwCde0wA ... re=related

Ha...Rabesa and Maloney in Okinawa... :lol: ....
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The video suggested that the Boston fan should have worn a thong. I think not. Some folks come to the stadium after having eaten dinner.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Yuk... :agrue:
Van

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”