Turkish stand-ups (get-ups)

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Turkish stand-ups (get-ups)

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I've been experimenting with this exercise both in the dojo with my students and in my own workouts.

These days I've enjoyed the explosion of resistance training exercises and methods that have come forth. FINALLY people realize that resistance training is good, and free-weight training even better. And FINALLY it isn't about body building, but instead about muscular and neuromuscular development for sports (or martial arts).

The bench-and-curl crowd are the ones you see in the gym with the "big bird" look. It's all about the show. You see puffy chests and big guns (biceps). You'll also often see "bird legs" because of the unbalanced development. (Lots of guys I know don't do squats.) Many of these guys also have skinny waists from the no-resistance marathon sit-up sessions. That's all fine and good, except... the core they're treating like a girlie girl's figure is the conduit for power from the largest muscles to the extremities. Deny that core the exercise it needs and all that puffy chest stuff is worthless. And you very well may be a guaranteed candidate for back problems later on.

The bench-and-curl crowd will not "get" exercises like the clean-and-jerk, the snatch, and the Turkish get-up. But these are the power, strength, and coordination exercises of the champions on the field. It ain't the show here; it's the go.

You can do your girlie figure exercises at the end of your workout. ;)

This exercise - by its nature - creates long lever arms against key muscles in the shoulders and the trunk. It also requires an extraordinary amount of balance and coordination - especially when you get to larger weights. The more coordinated you are, the greater the weight you can do. The greater the weight you do, the stronger your shoulder stabilizers and trunk get. And the additional challenge you end up creating for yourself begats even more coordination, and more core strength, and...

This particular exercise is a natural for grapplers (jujutsu, judo, aikido, wrestling) and any karateka who doesn't mind taking it to the floor. I do an embellished variation of this in my class as a prelude to teaching them how to do light ukemi on hardwood floors. You'd be surprised how good it is for that.

And along those lines... I was taught in aikido to be able to fight at every level. In iaido I learned to disembowel and decapitate from seiza to standing. There was no wait-until-I-get-up pause. The act of getting up was part of the energy you delivered into your opponent. And this exercise helps you develop that mindset, as you are managing a force as you go from supine to standing.

Here's a video to inspire you. This guy makes it look easy. It absolutely is not. This is just sick. Doing this with a barbell as opposed to a dumbbell (my choice) or kettlebell is insane. Ponder the added stress on the wrists to pull this off.

turkish stand up get up instructional

Here are some instructional videos on the technique. There are two versions here. I do something close to the second (with lots of embellishment) because it blends in well with my ukemi. And that's probably why this MMA fighter does it as well.

Combat Sports Conditioning: Kettlebell Turkish Get-up Part 1

Combat Sports Conditioning: Kettlebell Turkish Get-up Part 2

I highly recommend you add an exercise like this to you routine. HOWEVER.... throw your ego away. Start light with something like 5 or 10 pounds. Like a clean-and-jerk, you'll be spending a lot of early work just getting the technique down so you don't hurt yourself.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You can get very creative with this simple structure. I certainly do. It keeps the body guessing, and keeps the workouts from getting boring.

Here's a good-sized fellow doing his own version.

Russian Kettlebell Monster: Impressive Turkish Get-Up 32 Kg (70 lb) 10 Repetition

This has the following interesting advantages.
  • You alternate sides, which makes it as much endurance as it does strength. This will kick your butt.
  • He does his exchange standing.
  • Furthermore... in the exchange he sneaks in some one-armed snatches. That basic Olympic-style exercise was mentioned above. And he also throws in a weight "catch" in the transition, in-between a pair of snatches.
Last night I did a variation where my exchange was a one-armed clean-and-jerk. Same idea... you're combining elements of 3 core power and whole-body conditioning exercises.

And note how he's doing this outside, and enjoying the weather. Good for him!

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Just to show you that there's nothing magic about either the equipment or the gender...

Here's a woman doing "Method 2" of the Turkish get-up, using a dumbbell. This is real basic (un-embellished), and without a lot of weight. This can be done in the dojo with a class full of students.

dumbbell turkish getup - athlete365.com

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”