Sleep Paralysis

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Sleep Paralysis

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Bill,

I think we may have covered this once before...but I had an episode of this phenomenon recently....

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1740

Just curious to see if anyone else on the forums might have experienced a similar occurrence.
Van
Glenn

Re: Sleep Paralysis

Post by Glenn »

I have had several episodes of sleep paralysis over the years. I feel that I am laying in bed awake but cannot move at all. I do not recall ever experiencing the other sensations mentioned in that article though, only the "paralysis" (although I would not be surprised if I was panicy the first times it happened). In my case it has happened so often that I have adapted a defense to it: after what seems to be a short period of time of trying to figure out why I cannot move, I recognize what is happening and force myself to wake up. Possibly I am just queing in to waking up normally, but at any rate my subconscious mind does recognize what is happening and it seems like I am forcing myself to wake up. That whole episode seems to only take less than a minute in dreamtime, but who knows how long it is in reality. As I have gotten older these episodes have occurred much less frequently then when I was in my teens and 20s.
Glenn
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Glenn,

Interesting. I think it affects people in different ways.

It has only happened twice...first time I don't recall what was going on...

This last time what I thought first awakened me was noise down my long driveway, sounding like some people shouting and trying to steal one of my cars that I keep on a 'L' paved strip outside the garages.

I could not move, but then the thought came to me...to just stay put and call 911...at that precise thought...all went quiet very suddenly...I did get up...and noticed my motion security lights on the garages and all along the driveway...were not on...

So I knew it had been nothing but a dream...
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van

I understand how this can happen. Explaining it is the challenge.

Levels of awareness or wakefulness can be detected by different frequencies of brain wave activity. Going from fully awake to deep sleep, we see frequencies of brain wave activity arbitrarily labeled as beta, alpha, theta, and delta. Most like to think of the brain as being all in one level of awareness. But the truth is that EEGs may show several levels of awareness going on at the same time. I guess the best way to describe this is to think of different parts of the brain being engaged in different levels of awareness. So theoretically our conscious brain may be mostly in a wakeful state while motor areas may be still in a more sleep-like state.

A more practical way to think of this is how some people can remember their dreams while others cannot. We all have REM sleep (largely theta wave activity). But if some make the transition more slowly from REM to wakefulness, or maybe have some of the brain becoming aware while other parts are still in slower wave activity, then the memory baton can be passed to our conscious brain without dropping it. This capability may also be responsible for the ability of some to be more creative than others. Allegedly Sanchin teaches us to be in "the zone" (high level of alpha wave activity) while also engaged in extremely physical activity. Scientists studying Einstein noted that he could solve difficult integral calculus problems while showing a high level of alpha wave activity. Only when he encountered a new problem did he kick into a preponderance of beta waves.

Meanwhile... Imagine what was going on in my brain one month into moving to Louisville when I walked into a lamp post on Main Street. It was a Saturday night and I had just gotten done with a day of work at the office. It was a beautiful evening with horse-drawn carriages going down the road, people eating outdoors in front of the restaurants, and someone across the street walking a beautiful Russian Wolfhound. Everything was new, and my brain was all beta waves. Imagine me walking down that road looking to my right at that beautiful dog. Mushin? Not so much. And no, that lamp post didn't jump in my way and slap me. :lol:

Hope that makes sense.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks bill, it does...an amazing experience for sure.
Van
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

I experienced that once. very frightening. Had the sense of someone in the bedroom, but couldn't move a muscle to do anything about it.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

So I guess it is more common than I taught. Fortunately at some point you do wake up and all dissolves into nothingness....but you do remember that dream vividly... 8O you may even ask yourself...was it really a dream or something did in fact happen?

And why is it that as children, when we feel a presence in the room, we don't move a muscle or hide under the sheets...hoping that immobility will save us?
Van
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

I have it all the time... It *****!!!! :( Don't even know how to explain it...The next day I feel like I really have been worked over..

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!
Van Canna

The Old Hag

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

The cause for a state of SP is when your mind wakes up, usually still in a semi-REM state, but your body is still relaxed and semi paralyzed, bringing on a the sometimes horrifying sensation of being paralyzed while still in a semi-dream state yet awake. The consequences of this state are usually nothing short of terrifying to individuals with their dreams suddenly becoming reality as they are trapped in an inbetween sate of consciousness. The usual result is panic to try to release oneself while sleep creeps around your brain like a slow fog trying to drag you back down to it's depths again. I know what it's like, I've suffered this myself.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Old Hag Syndrome

"Old Hag Syndrome" sometimes referred to as "Night Hag" is another commonly used term for SP among many different cultures mainly in the western world. The term Old Hag is probably derived from a couple of sources, one being the word for Nightmare; Night -of course, we know this already, Mare being derived from the old English term Maere meaning demon or incubus (an incubus is believed to be a demon that visits during the night). Other sources as listed by Dr. J. A. Cheyne, University of Waterloo Psych. Dept include German mar/mare, nachtmahr, Hexendrücken (witch pressing), Alpdruck (efl pressure), Czech muera, Polish zmora, Russian Kikimora, French cauchmar (trampling ogre), Greek ephialtes (one who leaps upon) and mora (the night "mare" or monster, ogre, spirit, etc.), Roman incubus (one who presses or crushes) ge, (evil spirit or the night-mare--also hegge, haegtesse, haehtisse, haegte); Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/more.
Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Old Hag Syndrome... Isn't that when you go to a bar, get drunk, and then wake up in the morning to someone who is Coyote Ugly? 8O :lol:

Hmm... A bag over her head and maybe not so bad. Just sayin... 8)
Sleep Paralysis "Old Hag Syndrome"

In many cultures Sleep Paralysis is thought to be demons or ghosts sitting on ones chest, while the sleeper is aware of what is happening. Some of the sleepers claim to see something or someone sitting on their chest and being unable to move or call out. Here are some of the symptoms of Sleep Paralysis:
  • Buzzing in ears
  • Unable to move or call out
  • Halucinations
  • Sense of danger
  • Pressure on chest or face
During an episode, the sleeper can see everything in the room but some things my look distorted. Sometimes the victim will feel a presence or even see a figure in your room and begin to panic. These are very frightening and I even experienced a few.

While people think it is supernatural, others think it is associated with a few sleep disorders. The phenomenon is thought to occur during REM and the reason why you are unable to move is because your body is preventing you from acting out your dreams. Here is a list of factors that can cause such an episode:
  • Sleeping on your back
  • Irreguar sleeping patterns
  • Stress
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Lucid dreaming

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:lol:

Now imagine a waking dream with this sitting on your face