Health or self defense?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Health or self defense?

Post by fivedragons »

There are differing viewpoints on the purpose of kung fu; whether it was originally intended for health or for fighting. Everyone knows that the two go hand in hand. In the wild, if you see an animal survive, you will see a healthy animal. The others are gone.

The Shaolin model was built on a synthesis of buddhist meditation, holistic exercises and fighting techniques that already existed, but weren't codified. If you look at the taoist model, you see a parallel progression, with different language and methodologies, maybe meant to converge on the same point, as the truth is what it is.

Over the years, as I get older, I continue to realize new ways of being "whole" in movement, intent and spirit. I have to ask myself if the pursuit of becoming a "whole" human being isn't the exact same thing as learning self defense.

When you look at the matter of self defense, there are two main aspects that could be avoiding danger/violence and surviving danger/violence. I suggest that the heart of the matter is to learn to be whole.

This can be looked at in terms of the need for balance in the strength of all the muscles, tendons ligaments and bones, as the whole system will fall to the level of the weakest link. The ability to maintain structure, and the ability to move with clear purpose, with no separation between the body and the mind, as the body is the tool, and the mind is the weapon, so to speak.
Last edited by fivedragons on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
fivedragons

Re: Health or self defense?

Post by fivedragons »

Of course, in this matter we can be nothing but students, because it is the pursuit of something that is beyond our present level of being, and we don't need to know what the destination is; only that we are walking the path. Maybe we will continue to find new destinations and signposts along the way. Who knows?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

fivedragons wrote:Of course, in this matter we can be nothing but students, because it is the pursuit of something that is beyond our present level of being, and we don't need to know what the destination is; only that we are walking the path. Maybe we will continue to find new destinations and signposts along the way. Who knows?

I have done martial arts for myriad of reasons, health and spirituality, fitness ,and self defence. really true "fighting Arts" have always employed weapons.check out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt14YO ... GCwcjhrOdA

and
https://www.youtube.com/user/Shastarvid ... ture=watch

but I enjoy it for the movement, the going fast :lol:
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Whenever people talk about this stuff and why they do it, you rarely hear anyone talk about the real reason they do it. It is fun. I just got Rory Miller's new DVD on joint locks and I am looking forward to watch it and experiment with my girl. She never took any classes, but she loves Bruce Lee and we have had great times messing around with James Keating's draw point system, using rubber knives, and practicing some of the L.I.N.E. combatives techniques. We got an airsoft 1911 and her aim improved exponentially after just minutes of guidance an d encouragement. It is fun teaching her how to move without all the b.s. solemnity and seriousness associated with martial arts. If I'm not able to relax and play with it, I'm not learning anything.

And who doesn't enjoy hitting things. :lol:

p.s. Don't get me wrong, I get all solemn and serious with my precious kata, too. But I only do that because it feels soooo good. :wink:
Josann

Post by Josann »

fivedragons wrote:Whenever people talk about this stuff and why they do it, you rarely hear anyone talk about the real reason they do it. It is fun. I just got Rory Miller's new DVD on joint locks and I am looking forward to watch it and experiment with my girl. She never took any classes, but she loves Bruce Lee and we have had great times messing around with James Keating's draw point system, using rubber knives, and practicing some of the L.I.N.E. combatives techniques. We got an airsoft 1911 and her aim improved exponentially after just minutes of guidance an d encouragement. It is fun teaching her how to move without all the b.s. solemnity and seriousness associated with martial arts. If I'm not able to relax and play with it, I'm not learning anything.

And who doesn't enjoy hitting things. :lol:

p.s. Don't get me wrong, I get all solemn and serious with my precious kata, too. But I only do that because it feels soooo good. :wink:
I can relate to all of these comments, but this one really resonates with me. I am a mental health professional and use a blog for one of my practices.Obviously karate-do is something I believe in as a way of life. Has been for me for almost 25 years. Hope it's ok to post this:

http://mindbodycoach.org/

When people ask if martial arts are for health or self defense my answer is "Yes, they are for health or self defense."

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”