Down to brass tacks

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Down to brass tacks

Post by fivedragons »

I thought I would share some exercises that I learned from a book a few years ago. I enjoy them, and maybe some will be interested in trying them out.

The first one deals with the dan tien or second chakra, could be thought of as a "body" thing, in the "mind, body and spirit" equation.

I prefer to do this lying on my back with my legs apart and my arms spread out slightly to the sides. Could be done sitting or whatever feels good. This is for night time and I find it an enjoyable way to fall asleep.

Place your attention on the breath.

In a dark room, close your eyes and see yourself making your way down a stairway into the base of a mountain. You reach a chamber deep inside the Earth, where no light can enter. You can't see anything, including your own body. As you breathe, the darkness begins to fill your belly and slowly expands outward through your body. You feel the darkness seeping into your body from outside of you until your body is gone, and you are nothing but the darkness itself.
Bill Glasheen

Re: Down to brass tacks

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This falls under the general practice of what is called Neigong. I had a bit of a journey with this in 1983 with a UVa professor from China who took me on as a student.

..... Neigong

Even though I've walked this path, I'm a bit too manic (physical?) to benefit from passive meditation. I also worked a bit with someone on self-hypnosis. It had its effects...

I find that I get to this happy place better after intense exercising which involves the core. It's a different path to the top of the mountain, but it gets me there. On a good day I can get there in Sanchin as well, but only after I start with things like the jar training or Turkish get-ups.

- Bill
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

I can relate to what your saying. I'm pretty sure my first experiences with being "in the present" had to do with music and exercise/sports. It's all good. 8) We all travel our own unique path up the same mountain. :lol:

The second exercise has to do with the heart, or the fourth chakra and could be considered in a "spirit" sense.

I prefer to do this sitting with my legs crossed, during the daylight hours and with my eyes closed, but that's just me.

With the tip of the tongue very lightly touching the upper palate right behind the front teeth, you hum, making an "mmmm" sound. The object is to find a frequency that resonates inside the throat and sinuses, causing the sound to be amplified and to almost "ring" inside your head like bell or a gong. You breathe from the belly in a natural way, inhaling and exhaling as your body wants to. A reasonable guideline would be to do this for about twenty minutes. Then you spend maybe ten more minutes in silence, just experiencing your breath and the energy that is moving through you.
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

The third exercise has to do with the third eye or sixth chakra and can be a "mind" thing. The energy for this on the light spectrum is represented as a rich, deep blue.

I do this sitting, but could be done standing or horse stance or whatever.

Another one for night, as it involves a dark room and a candle.

1) close your eyes and while breathing naturally from the belly, feel the energy from the center of your mind gently pushing out towards the spot between and just above your eyebrows. You might feel a slight pressure on that spot. Feel your third eye opening. About 5 mins.

2) Open your eyes and observe the flame. Just as our two eyes produce a single image in the mind, see the flame with your eyes and with your mind's eye. Let the light enter the third eye and illuminate your mind. About 5 mins.

Repeat steps 1 and 2.

3) I like to blow out the candle at this point. Close your eyes and sit in silence for about 10 minutes. You might try seeing the flame in your mind, exactly how it moved and changed. Or you might just experience the breath and energy.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”