Arts and crafts

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

Arts and crafts

Post by fivedragons »

One day, the old man helped him to pick out the best of the hardwoods, with an eye to the grain. He showed him how to cure it and treat it to weather the elements. He learned how to measure, cut and bind, saw and hammer. There was the matter of a plan, and forming the wood so it could be fitted together in a way that every piece would reinforce the structure.

As the work neared completion, he admired his work and knew that he had created something with form and function. There was truth and beauty in what the old man had taught him.

Then one day, the old man was gone. He looked around and couldn't see anything. As he listened to the muffled sounds of the world outside, he realized he was trapped inside a well-made box. He could not move, and he began to run out of air.

In desperation, he fought his way out of the box, and hung his head. "What have I done?" he said, as memories came to him, unbidden. He saw the old man watching him as he gathered the wood. There was always the hint of a smile on the master's face, and his eyes were always moist.

As he walks away from the broken pieces of wood, a single tear slowly makes it's way down his face to meet the barest hint of a smile.

"One day, I will be an old man, and I will teach someone how to pick out the best of the hardwoods, with an eye to the grain….."
Seizan

Re: Arts and crafts

Post by Seizan »

If it's true that we write things the way we’ve been conditioned to see things, then here's an alternate but “same” tale:

One day, the old man helped him to pick out the best of the hardwoods, with an eye to the grain. He showed him how to cure it and treat it to weather the elements. He learned how to measure, cut and bind, saw and hammer. There was the matter of a plan, and forming the wood so it could be fitted together in a way that every piece would reinforce the structure.

As the work neared completion, he admired his work and knew that he had created something with form and function. There was truth and beauty in what the old man had taught him.

Then one day, the old man was gone. He looked at the beautiful structure he built. As he listened to the sounds of nature around him, he realized he was looking at a well-made protective structure, open to all. He walked around it and admired the beauty that the old man had taught him to see and feel, and he took a deep, free breath.

Calmly and quietly, he entered and departed the structure several times to see it from within and without, and suddenly he hung his head. "What have I done?" he said, as memories came to him, unbidden. He saw the old man watching him as he gathered the wood. There was always the hint of a smile on the master's face, and his eyes were always moist.

The old man had taught him everything he could, and he had taken it one step further, just as the old man encouraged him to do, and had done for his own teacher before him.

As he walked away from the yet-unused pieces of wood, a single tear slowly made its way down his face to meet the barest hint of a smile.

"I will miss him terribly. But one day, I will be an old man, and I will teach someone how to pick out the best of the hardwoods, with an eye to the grain, and encourage him to exceed me….."
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

8) Thank you! (hand over fist and bow)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I like this kind of box.

Nice wood! 8)

- Bill
fivedragons