The talk

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

fivedragons

The talk

Post by fivedragons »

Just had to have the talk with my significant other. I have been put in ridiculous social situations by women who like to talk about what I do, which is nothing to do with what they or anyone else thinks I do.

I am not Bruce Lee. I am not doing this because I want to kick everyone's ass. I am not trying to prove anything. I will not be in the next UFC. I am not a soldier, a cop or an actor.

This is personal, and it does not have anything to do with white pajamas and a black belt.

It's a good thing.

I keep it to myself.
maxwell ainley

Re: The talk

Post by maxwell ainley »

If we are trying to promote what we do ,could be all mediums open ,same with recognition ,or it just comes to you ,and you can sort of hide ,we see this with the very famous who have no normality .

On the other hand do your thing ,with no recognition,you just quietly go your way ,unasuming ,it's basically based upon our needs ,if you don't need don't buy into it .
max ainley
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

maxwell ainley wrote: do your thing ,with no recognition, you just quietly go your way, [unassuming]
I like this.

The difference between karate jutsu and karate do is that the latter is about integrating the principles of your training into non-dojo life. Ideally this is done seamlessly and with grace.

- Bill
Josann

Post by Josann »

Interesting discussion, particularly in the post UFC, MMA, world of the martial arts. I, like many here, have been practicing long before the UFC came along. Karate has denigrated into a children's activity, practiced by cute little kids in their jammies. Too bad, as we all know it is far more than that.

Karate certainly can be, and should be, about self defense, but we all know it is far more than that. Modern research indicates that it is one of the healthiest activities that one of any age can practice. I wrote this article last year and got a lot of positive feedback from those who consider karate do a part of their lifestyle.I post this as away for some of you to explain to family and friends why you spend "all that time" and what you are trying to accomplish:

http://mindbodycoach.org/best-kept-mind-body-secret/

If you have a dojo and teach karate do, have an ill informed brother-in-law, or someone else who is curious about the whys behind your practice, feel free to use this to explain. If you are a dojo owner and would like to explain to adults why they can benefit from uechi ryu karate do, or any other of system, feel free to use it to promote what you do and why it is beneficial.

For the record,my teachers have been Walter Mattson,Paul Fenichel, and currently, Joe Graziano, three senseis that embody what the study of karate do is all about. Anybody who has trained with any of these guys would ever question their ability to use their skills with bad intent if needed!

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”