James Randi's challenge

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Scott Danziger

James Randi's challenge

Post by Scott Danziger »

Well, as Stan Marsh would say -> <a href="http://members.aol.com/scotttd/whoadude.wav">Whoa Dude!</a>
evanpantazi

James Randi's challenge

Post by evanpantazi »

Bill San,

I also can understand the free speech aspect, yet I am dismayed that Mr. Randi has accused a person and assaulted his character without ever meeting him. This started as an interesting thread but has disintegrated into a show of bravado, and grandstanding. I hold only Mr. Randi to his actions and wonder whose tests are to be veiwed as valid.

I am not defending or refuting anyone just commenting on strong unvalidated comments. This in my view was completely uncalled for.

Evan Pantazi
Bill Glasheen

James Randi's challenge

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Evan

That's why I put this in a separate thread. Let's keep this challenge separate from the general dialogue.

I'm not sure I can embrace the tone of the message. However very early on Sifu Mooney questioned a) whether what he did fit a possible criteria for the Randi cash award, and b) whether or not Mr. Randi even had the money on hand. Mr. Randi has replied yes to both. He takes what he does seriously just as many of us do the same with our own interests in life. And he made it clear that he would accept - in fact invite - a challenge.

We could all spend a lot of time discussing this whole approach to evaluating the subject mentioned. This is Mr. Randi's approach. We can have our own. Why did this come up in the first place? I made an off-hand comment that it may fit the criteria for the award in my very first post. One thing led to another and now the challenge is clear.

Bill
SiFu Rich Mooney

xcl

Post by SiFu Rich Mooney »

xcl
Last edited by SiFu Rich Mooney on Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

James Randi's challenge

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Sifu Mooney

Glad you got that out.

Now you have Mr. Randi's e-mail address. Let us know what you two work out. Let us know if we can help.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 09-25-98).]
Bill Glasheen

James Randi's challenge

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I struggled with this one a bit.

On the one hand, I asked people to behave. For the most part the dialogue has been admirably tame. And frankly it was downright funny seeing a few behave nicely as if they were having tea with mother. Never knew they had it in them!

On the other hand, I am a free speech advocate. Before I started this thread, I had an exchange with Sifu Mooney about starting this whole thing. I explained that Jefferson was my hero and I was a strong advocate of free speech. I even joked a bit about a few testy exchanges he and I had on the kyusho forum. Rich replied back basically stating that he felt the same way, and defended free speech via a different venue: by being a member of our armed forces.

J.D. and James Randi communicate on a semi-regular basis. J.D. has opened my eyes up to both publications and websites devoted to debunking myths, charletans, and common misunderstandings. We should be glad that there are skeptics out there. As the old P.T. Barnum used to say, "There's a sucker born every minute." The passion that drives folks like Randi is the desire to expose genuine frauds who prey on gullible people and separate them from their money.

But then there is the 'process'. I think it was Disraeli who once said "People should never see laws and sausage being made." It can be ugly, but the end result is rewarding (if you like sausage). Such is the case with debunking. I can't say I like posting what follows. On the other hand J.D. did the work to create "the challenge." I would like to thank him and give him credit for the initiative. But I don't want to turn this into something personal between two martial artists.

Following is Mr. Randi's challenge. I take the responsibility for posting it, but it is not my challenge. It isn't J.D.'s challenge either. I hope all will view it for what it is: a blunt challenge designed to get a response. To some extent the medium is part of the message, designed to elicit a desired response. In the interest of free speech and enlightenment, I will post this unedited.

And my separate "second" of George's more gentle invitation to camp stands. If we can be of service to Sifu Mooney or Mr. Randi, please let us know. Otherwise I remain respectfully out of the way of this one.

Sincerely
Bill
Bill Glasheen

James Randi's challenge

Post by Bill Glasheen »

James Randi sent this e-mail to J.D. Morenski (a.k.a. Doctor X). His e-mail address is:

JamesRandi@compuserve.com

He asked that this be forwarded to Sifu Mooney.

You're a liar and a fake. You're a swindler taking money for a product that does not exist. And you are taking money dishonestly from silly people who think you have "powers." Every single person who pays admission to your demonstrations has been lied to and cheated. You're fully aware of the fact that your "power" is imaginary.
You're also a craven coward and a wimp. You're afraid of the truth-with good reason-and you fear exposure as a fraud. You have nothing to offer but hollow, juvenile excuses and alibis for not allowing your "powers" to be tested.
Perhaps, but I doubt it, you're merely an idiot who doesn't recognize how easy it would be to win the million-dollar prize in a 30-minute test (NOT a "demonstration" under your conditions and with the suckers co-operating with you). But it seems evident that you're just a fly-by-night fraud and faker, a thief and a liar. Your "powers" are non-existent and you're a confidence man. You belong in prison for fraud.
Put up or shut up.
James Randi.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”