Decorum

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Decorum

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This is a place where all (including the "inside" crowd) may address recent issues of decorum. Feel free to speak from the heart, but refrain from gratuitous abuse.

Thanks.

The moderator
JOHN THURSTON

Decorum

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

This is a test reply since I have not been able to get through using my current password.

[Note: This message has been edited by gmattson]
JOHN THURSTON

Decorum

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Sensei Glasheen:

I have studied some Tai Chi these past (lessee now) 11 years or so, and I do not mean to be one of those guys who opens all messages with the I been there and done that etc., etc., etc.. I don't think or feel that egocentric.

However, I have done some push hands work and perhaps have just bumped past beginner in Yang Family Tai Chi (my Tai Chi nickname is "Limping Ox") and can offer the followings:

It would seem to me that an External MArtial Art is one which (like kickboxing perhaps) just teaches catalougs of techniques. An internal art would direct its primary attention to a particular type or group of body and mind development or sensitivities.

Experientially, when I practice Uechi Form, I sweat from a fairly deep core of my body, with Tai Chi, it's as though I have swallowed a halpina pepper. A bit deeper, but not distantly so.

AS to push hands, I (there's that word again) have been working a bit with four corners, single hand and freestyle.

The four forces, if it is helpful, practiced in four corners are: Wardoff (Peng) Rollback (neutralize)(Lu), Press (Ji) and Push (An).

There are eight forces altogether, but I only recall five at the moment.

I beleive proper push hands practice is both helpful and difficult for a Uechi Practioner. It is both good for your centering and confusing as you learn new methods of shifting, much like learning a new language or dance.

If I can be helpful I will try to do so.

John Thurston
Bill Glasheen

Decorum

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Mr. Thurston

Thanks to you, the Internal vs. External thread lives! We appreciate your humble contributions, no matter how small.

Bill Glasheen

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”