Internal vs External, Part II

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

JOHN THURSTON

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hello:

a. Sorry, that, of course, is "Wing Chun" not Wing Chum.

b. Allen: when you can do what you can.

Now I'll have to go look up Paradigm.

John T

------------------
moulton

Post by moulton »

JT,

Sorry I haven't been more responsive to ypur posts. I haven't been too active on the web in January due to a major paradigm shift in my lifestyle.

Allen

------------------
web: http://www.uechi-ryu.org email: <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A>
Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

John Thurston wondered about how we might re-title this thread if we re-started it, and if the interest is there I'd suggest that we might spilt it. Maybe one thread could be "internal vs external III," and another "What is sensitivity, and how is it developed?"

It would be nice if we could define internal or external. Despite my criticisms of John C's suggestions, I respect his attempts to define and differntialte these two aspects in the arts.

I think of the "internal" and "external" arose primarily out of Taoist dualistic philosopny, and may be hard to apply the farther you get from the Chinese arts, in cultures where intellectual contexts are different. While I think "internal" and "external" may depend a great deal on cultural context, I think that "sensitivity, for example, may be very widely applicable to a wide variety of arts practiced in many cultures. I could easily be wrong here though.

Scaramouche
moulton

Post by moulton »

JT. Paradigm? 5 0r six of em can get you a small coffee. -- Allen

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”