What to do?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gjkhoury

What to do?

Post by gjkhoury »

Hi Bill and team!

Please forgive me, as this is a double post (you will find it on Canna-sensei's Forum as well).

Simply, I thought it might get more attention and attention on your "roundtable" than it would clogging up Van-sensei's self-defense discussion. Here goes:

Yes, this current situation with the masters is sad indeed!

But who said life was fair? And who are we to judge when all we are surrounded by are innuendos and half-truths?!

Parents and children come to me all the time at my dojo to tell me about their PROBLEMS! Frankly, however, I must tell you that I couldn't care less!

Focusing on problems will only lead to more problems! As one gentleman said in the previous post, the time has come to search for solutions instead!

As an exercise in college, my professor once asked our class to come up with ways that we could eliminate prisons here in the United States! Eliminate PRISONS! HA!

Of course, we all thought this to be a stupid and unrealistic goal. But with such an intriguing question posed, we went to work on it in earnest. After less than an hour, we had no less than 30 ideas of how to do away with dentention facilities in America--for good!

Yes, some ideas were stupid, some even unrealistic. But all had a common theme: Each one focused not on the hatred we feel for criminals, nor did they revolve around beliefs, values or emotions based on our political, socio-economic or religious affiliations. No, each proposal shared a common goal of trying to intelligently solve a seemingly "unsolvable" problem.

Let's not turn our backs on the masters! Let's not congratulate them for their stupidity, either! Let's work together in the same spirit and harmony that we display daily on these forums to come up with a "high road" solution to this short-term set back.

I don't know about you folks, but I love Uechi-ryu. I also had the unique priveledge of living and training with these masters for 5 years in Okinawa and Japan. These men are the link to our past and the guardians of our style. But they are just MEN!! They are human and they will make mistakes!

But I must be honest: Just because this is true, I am not ready, willing or able to turn my back on them! Has your teacher ever turned his or her back on you for your shortcomings? Let's give these men the same respect!

Better yet, let's help them see their errant thinking and hurtful ways. Let's petition, write letters (I'll translate!), visit, workout, talk, fight, argue and exchange. Only this way will we be able to maintain that "bridge" that so many of you have talked about for future generations.

I'm here to help. What's YOUR agenda? Call me and we'll chat: (978) 858-0123.

Thank you,

Gary
Bill Glasheen

What to do?

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gary

This reminds me of an "impossible" program I'm working on now. When people don't want a solution, they will find reasons to avoid a solution. When all agree to work together, then big things can happen.

If there's one general and public statement I can make, it's this. While all the various kings and kings men are wrapped up in the "Balkanization" of Uechi Ryu, the Tae Quon Do people have our government paying our precious tax dollars to teach TKD to troubled youths. How did they do that? Well, THEY GOT OVER their differences and THOUGHT BIG. They organized. They petitioned. They worked. They cooperated. And now they have international reach. Meanwhile, Master X is squabbling with Master Y and Master Z in the tiny little Uechi/Shohei/kenyukai/pangainoon/whatsamattaryu organizations. Hellloooooo folks! Anybody ever stick their noses out of their dojos these days? Ever wonder why when you ask to get insurance for the dojo, that they tell you that you must spar with foot gear but don't need hand gear? Anybody ever investigate some of the good things going out outside the Uechi world in kobudo, tuite, kyusho, and realistic self defense?

This is NOT about masters; it is about the students. If everyone learns to agree that the student is the fundamental unit of this organization, I think differences may peel away. Many instructors take themselves far, far too seriously. And many people care more about themselves than they do the style. Sad! Very sad!

I'm in with you, Gary. You'll hear from me soon.

Bill
Steven Goss

What to do?

Post by Steven Goss »

To All Who Still Care:

The "politics" are, once again, threatening to spin out of control. For whatever reasons, individuals and groups are turning their backs on one another. For a while there, it seemed as if there were individuals who were doing anything they could to get into what I call the "history books".

Some time back, after becoming disenchanted with the political maneuverings, I felt it would be enough just to train. After all, the point is to train and improve, regardless of what labels are attached to this system we know as Uechi-ryu. However, training in a vacuum has its drawbacks. There is no exchange of ideas, no exploration of intent and purpose. I suppose it could be argued that it is all within the system and how it relates individually, but then input from other fine practitioners is not available.

One of the things I've always appreciated about our system is that it is a traditional, conservative system that is not significantly modified by the "martial art of the week". With relatively minor exceptions, we all do it the same way. I've always felt that I could walk in to any Uechi/Shohei/Pangainoon/Whatever dojo and get a workout, because, at the heart of it, we all pretty much agree on how it's done. I can tell students the same thing. It has seemed, so far, that the system itself has been strong enough to withstand the efforts to fracture it.

I don't care what people want to call the system. The label is just that, a label. I care that we all continue to do it the same way. I care to hope we stay cohesive enough not to burst apart as other systems have done and become just a memory of what was once a great system. I would like to be able to train and learn in another dojo, regardless of "political affiliation", and have others visit and train with me.

Let's keep our heads. Let's maintain the attitude that we are going to support this great system, one of the finest Okinawa has to offer.

Steven Goss
Robb in Sacramento

What to do?

Post by Robb in Sacramento »

Steve:

You are always welcome in Sacramento, but you will have to give up that 72 degree year around climate to come to the valley. Meantime, like most folks have once visited your area, I will continue to seek a way to get over and see you. Peace.
Steven Goss

What to do?

Post by Steven Goss »

Robb,

Great to hear from you! I have asked about you and have wanted to say "hi".

When you have a chance to take a break from the sweltering valley, come to San Luis for a visit. You're always welcome, as is everyone else.

Steve

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”