Preserving the core and stimulating progress.

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

My horoscope said this would be a good time to start a new topic.

In James Collins’ and Jerry Porras’ book, “Built to Last” they say that the most important characteristics of successful and visionary companies are “preserving the core and stimulating progress.” The book deals with for profit companies only but I feel that the same principles can apply to any successful organization.

Whether in the States, Canada, Europe, or Okinawa, can it be argued that the different Uechi Groups have not preserved the core? There is always the “core”, the three traditional original kata, and the “new” kata developed after Kanbun. Is this core a universal standard in all Uechi groups? I believe it is.

Progress has been stimulated all over as best I can tell with many dojo instituting some level of cross training in the course of study. Different people are experimenting with introducing even newer and older forgotten kata. Some are training in the grappling arts. This is progress and does not take away from the core.

A point the authors bring up is that having a strong management succession is important to the continuation of success of an organization. Is this an area where Uechi-Ryu was harmed with the passing of Kanei Sensei? Would the group have stayed under a singular organizational umbrella had one of Kanei’s senior students been called upon to take the top position?

?????

Kevin
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Kevin

How dare you ask such a question of this group. Heathen! Quick, someone call a tribunal. Start the fire! Burn the witch!

Funny, I was having a conversation with Bruce Hirabayashi, one of my students, on the phone yesterday. He was talking about Dan Smith in the Atlanta area. Apparently Dan will be involved with maintaining his system after the passing of the "big cheese" until a certain other person is of age to manage this function. Then I guess Dan, a person of tremendous ability and experience (and round eyes), is to quietly step back into the background? I think it was I who suggested that the "succession" issue is a big problem in martial arts.

When you say Uechi ryu, it is - by definition - Uechi's style. But just what does that mean? What are the assumptions? Who's in charge? Who's making the rules? And where does the money and power go to?

I think there are more questions than answers. But I think you bring up a good point, albeit a sticky one for us "faithful' to address.

-- Bill
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Dear Kevin:

You're definitely "right on"! Good post!

I'm with Bill sensei on this one, though.

You're dad owns a multinational corporation, you're a VP, he dies and SOMEONE ELSE takes over the family biz?!

Not likely. For better or for worse, the masters could have backed Kanmei at the time of Kanei's passing, working behind the scenes to assure Uechi continued to head in the direction they had worked so hard to establish TOGETHER!

Kanmei, though EXTREMELY hard-headed still knows today who the true masters are and still respects them a great deal. He, like us, laments a silly struggle for power among those who had no right to battle for it in the first place.

The king's thrown always goes to the prince.

Respectfully,

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
http://www.uechi-ryu.com/khoury
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Right on gang! One of the many problems with the martial arts is that outside of actually teaching a class or working out, we haven't a clue how to define 'what we are'.

If Okinawa could have (still not too late) sat down and tried to figure out exactly what Uechi-ryu was all about outside the dojo, they might have handled things a bit differently. The trouble was they wanted to run world Uechi-ryu as a business, without calling it a business or without any of the rules governing businesses.

The Catholic church and the British Monarchy have the same problems. Unlike the Royals of England, the role of pope is a political position where the winner of an election gets to wear the fancy clothes. Neither position has much power outside of P.R. responsibilities.

It would not surprise me to learn that the Okinawans wanted to "upgrade" the association by making it a bit more "Japanese" in structure. . . (Like the JKA) and get away from the 'ryu' or family style label.

There was rumors that some Brits were considering abolishing the 'Royals' in a similar attempt to upgrade politics in England. The same reaction was felt in England that eventually happened on Okinawa.

We like the 'old' ways. . . we grew up with them. . . and Kanmei need not be the best in order to sit on the throne. People will continue to respect those individuals who teach good Uechi-ryu, regardless of pecking order on the organizational flow chart.

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

George,

I wonder just how many karate styles are left which are passed from generation to generation.

To be part of a [few remaining] MA system[s]such as that is intriguing. 100 years of family lineage can be just the start.

Allen

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I'm curious about one thing. So far we have heard from some excellent minds in the Ueechi-Ryu/NAC Association. What do the Shohei, Pangainoon, Kenyukai, etc groups think about all this? If you are part of a group that is NOT affiliated with Kanmei Uechi, please add something to this dsicussion. I would like to hear from you to hear the "other side" of things, to prevent my (and others) opinion being based on one-sided information.

Also, what attempts on Okinawa were/are made to mend the rift?

Gene
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

J.D.: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Fine, you have, I must confess, some more experience than I have. If I take this statement as "given" then I have to ask why follow a family? If we protest that nationality does not confer ability in the martial arts, how can we consider it hereditary? For me, it is "Uechi's style" out of respect for Kanbum. I also have respect for Kanei.
Good point J.D.. My long answer will make an interesting 'whats new' column. My short answer is that my early experiences with Tomoyose sensei and Uechi sensei were extremely encouraging and positive. Every day I do everything possible to maintain that atmosphere to perpetuate that feeling between teachers and students.

At the 1985 Summer Camp, Master Uechi told the group that "The future of Uechi-ryu was in America!" Obviously, he was referring to the vastness of America compared to the small Island of Okinawa, but he never would have made this statement if he thought we were less capable than his students. Tomoyose often spoke of how foreigner's karate would, within ten - fifteen years, equal that which was being performed on Okinawa. There was no embarassment in this statement. Rather I sensed his pride in the statement. After all, he convinced Uechi sensei to allow foreigner access to the entire system.

Then the Island reverted to Japan. The Japanese economy made dollars worth pennies. US servicemen no longer employed Okinawan houseboys for $10/month or bought "Honeys" for $20/month, or treated Okinawans like dirt. Attitudes regarding the occupying foreigners, which were repressed, suddenly surfaced. . . especially among the younger Okinawans. . .

Do I sense a type of "payback" from the Okinawans. . . a kind of prejedice concerning their martial arts towards us? Absolutely.

From all Okinawans? Absolutely not.

The important question concerns how your Okinawan group treats you.

The war is over for most of us. But in some cultures indignities, insults and hate die slowly.

Bottom line. . . Most of you don't know what it was like during the 50s - early 80s. Those of us who remember, want it back. Clearly, most of you don't want the alternative which was shoved down your throats. How many of you participated in the decisions that would affect your lives? Even though the foreigners made up the vast majority of members and contributed 95% of the revenues generated by the organizations.

This whole thing doesn't affect me. I'm not saying these things to make a better deal for me. If anything, my discussing these things will isolate me from both my friends and enemies on Okinawa. I'm simply telling you my feelings on the subject. Yes, I miss the old days and hope that someday we all will figure out a way to do things together. A day when indignities, insults and hate disappears totally.

------------------
GEM

[This message has been edited by gmattson (edited 06-02-99).]
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Dear Gene:

You ask: Also, what attempts on Okinawa were/are made to mend the rift?

And though I do not purport to "know everything", I can venture an answer to your query:

NONE.

In speaking with Kanmei sensei and many others, Japanese society does not allow for forgiveness or reconciliation in this type of situation without some admission of fault or guilt by one of the parties involved. This would allow the "forgiver" (let's say Kanmei for the sake of argument) to play the role of being the one who was wronged, but would mean a MAJOR loss of face to whomever stepped forward in the first admission of guilt/offering of peace.

Complicated? Yeah like 3rd year calculus!

In layman terms, Kanmei's apologizing to no one because he feels like, "Hey, it's my family's damn style and I don't have to apologize for taking the helm. Love me or hate me, I'm the one putting the Uechi into Uechi-ryu these days."

On the other side of the fence, even if there WERE a few who might be inclined to feel that they had done the wrong thing, they would literally have to subjugate themselves to Kanmei in an extraordinarily embarrassing admission of their own "stupidity". This would alienate them from their present reference group and label them LOSER for life. (Traitor to Okikukai, ShoHei/ traitor come home -- never to be trusted or taken seriously again -- to Kanmei. No fun either way.)

And this would proposedly have to take place now, after a DECADE of denial, bad blood and mud slinging from both camps. Good luck.

I believe the power lies with us. When we get our **** together, Okinawa will HAVE to recognize our power, our wants and our needs.
Until then, we're still the round eyes struggling to keep up with the "real" masters of our style.

Just my perspective, for what it's worth.

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Gary-san,

Maybe this should be done on a private thread, so just ignore this if you want, but I have to ask this question after reading so many of your posts. Wasn't (or isn't) your teacher on Okinawa Nakahodo sensei? If that is the case(and I may be wrong), being with the Shohei group, how are your relations with him and others? Was or is he at odds with you since you have "switched" sides? Again, if too personal, please don't answer, but you have an insight that us "gaijin" with probably never have.

Yours in budo,

Mike
paul giella

Post by paul giella »

I have a one hundred year old axe. It has had two heads replaced and three handles. Is it the same axe? Is Uechi-ryu the same now as it was when it was first named to honor Kanbun Uechi? Kanei Uechi? Kanmei Uechi? Ryuko Tomoyose (there was a vote taken by the North American group in the early 1970's to adopt the "Tomoyose Method" as the definitive Uechi-ryu)? George Mattson? My belief: learn the fundamentals up to the black belt level in a uniform way and then begin to personalize... differences will arise, of course, but positive growth will occur over time.
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Dear Mike:

Yes, I did train extensively with Mr. Nakahodo during my many visits to Okinawa (but not NEARLY as extensively as Mark Brelsford or The Academy's very own Bobby Spoon).

On one visit to Okinawa, Mr. Nakahodo even placed my name upon a placard on the wall along with his other Black Belts -- a kind of "welcome to the team" gesture. I was moved.

I'm sure Mr. Nakahodo does not consider me his "student", although I'm sure he knows that he has had a considerable impact on my karate over the years. I share my tourny victories (AND defeats!) with him, and we correspond through the mail.

Likewise, I am not too quick (like many Westerners after a trip or two abroad) to call Mr. Nakahodo my TEACHER. Yes, he is one of them, but so is Kanmei-sensei, George Mattson-sensei, Tracy Rose-sensei and others.

On the topic of the split, I told Mr. Nakahodo that I would support him forever as long as they remained the organization Okikukai. (At that time, it was Okikukai, but the style was Uechi-ryu).

When Okikukai decided to pursue the new style, I went to Okinawa and told Mr. Nakahodo that I was incredibly indebted to him, but that I wanted to die doing Uechi, not ShoHei, ryu.

He understood.

Mr. Nakahodo told me to keep my nose clean and to continue to train in the methods that he had outlined for me. Okinawa's political problems were not to become mine. He also told me that as long as I "came in peace" to train in earnest, I would always be welcome at his school.

And though many would like to believe that his words to me were lip service, he proved his integrity (not that it ever needed to be questioned) by meeting me during his visit to the States last summer (thanks, Mark!) and by submitting my registration (and paying the competitors fees) for the All-Okinawan Championships last fall.

We should all take a lesson from Mr. Nakahodo and, I dare say, from me.

I'm telling you guys, we can beat this thing! I'm not sure exactly how, but it begins with the STUDENTS and it begins on the floor.

Help us get the ball rolling with the upcoming exchange workout and with GEMs summer camp.

We can make a difference. One person, one student, one dojo at a time.

Respectfully,

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Folks,

Just to throw out a stupid, outlandinsh, far-out, wacky idea...

What would happen if someone retains membership in BOTH the Soke and Shohei organizations. Yes, they would have to keep up with the rank requirements for both, but think for a minute if someone does it successfully. Imagine if someone of any kind of stature does it...

Again, just a far-out thought.

Gene
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Dear gene:

EXCELLENT idea! But one that would only exist in a perfect world, I fear. (But, then again, in a perfect world we wouldn't be worrying about political rifts would we?!)

Of course, one can simultaneuosly study judo and karatedo, but ShoHei and Uechi??!!

Jeezus, it gives me the heebee geebees just thinking what they'd do to me at the damn dan tests!

No thanks, I don't want to become some badass Okinawan's boy toy because I couldn't "pick sides"!

Better to be a pesron of integrity and stick to your beliefs/a single style while maintaining friends on both sides. We've begun that process here on this web.

BEST not to have to choose sides! Give me a magic wand and I'll take care of that wish!

Respectfully,

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Gary-san,

Thanks for the info. Like you, I know of several others who seem to have carte blanche in Okinawa regardless of the affiliation (sensei Jean-Guy Levesque) comes to mind. That is a very special situation for you it would seem and one you do not take lightly. Thank you for such a candid answer to a rather delicate question.
BTW, you are always welcome in my dojo too!

See you soon,

mike
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Tomato, tomahto, Uechi, Shoehei, it's the same damn thing guys. Only the name was changed due to politics in Okinawa!!. There's no difference other than a few testing requirements. So to say one could not train in both styles in nonsense. My teacher's teacher is Nakahodo. I study UechiRyu regardless of what they have to call it over there.

VTY
Kevin

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”