"LURKERS"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

"LURKERS"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Darlene

Welcome to the fray!

You make a very good point. When I saw all the choices in the survey, my thought was that many would want to vote "none of the above." In any classroom situation - whether it be martial or academic - you usually have a few people asking all the questions and the rest just quietly doing their thing. Many of these quiet warriors have the best of hearts and very strong karate. You'll always find a few folks like J.D. and I who are naturally "chatty". That speaks nothing to ability. The proof is on the dojo floor.

Quite frankly - given the verbal diarrhea of a few jerks and the combative nature of a few well intentioned - I'm not surprised that there are so many who choose not to post. Why post if you are an occasional visitor and you have some concern about being flamed? Hopefully, though, most will realize that all civil opionions are worth being heard - regardless of affiliation. Only a few jerks need feel like prarie dogs at a shooting range. Everyone else should take the "discussions" as a process of discovery, and not as personal affronts.

One final point. I chose the label "dojo roundtable" very carefully. What I wanted to recreate was the bureikos that we used to have after every class at UVa. Class would end at 11 PM, and anywhere from a half dozen to around 20 people would faithfully do a quick beer and munchie run and head for the designated house du jour. Here I would step out of my role as sensei and expect other seniors to do the same. The discussion was for all to participate, and no one person had authority (except for the person hosting for the night). This is somewhat similar to the way Japanese conduct business. Everything formal happens during the day. The real business happens at night at the bars after a few drinks. Here everyone says what they really think, and no (permanent) offense is taken.

Roundtable implies equal status for all. Everyone's civil point of view is appreciated.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 06-16-99).]
Darlene McLean

"LURKERS"

Post by Darlene McLean »

In regards to the "Why are you a Lurker survey?" Well...hmmm..as a "Lurker" I guess
I find that label a bit disturbing, I'm just dropping in whenever I get a chance to catch up on some Uechi news....and maybe learn something in the process, as I am always on the path of learning in the martial arts. I hope that how I participate is not a judgement of my person. ( yup, I'm a bit shy and sensitive...:])

A teacher affects eternity; no one can tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

a former out of the closet "Lurker"

Darlene ;]
gmattson
Site Admin

"LURKERS"

Post by gmattson »

Thanks for posting Darlene. Actually the term "lurker" is an affectionate term when used here on our forums. Please don't think anyone thinks badly of people who simply enjoy our forums and elect not to participate.

Now we can't call you a "lurker" any longer!

Regards,
George Mattson
Van Canna

"LURKERS"

Post by Van Canna »

Some definitions for " lurker" __ affectionately -of course -so no backlash from the emotional dullards please !

" Latent-latitant-dormant-quiescent -inert -inactive -suspended-abeyant-delitescent-hidden-cryptic-invisible-obscure-inexpressive-adumbrative-taciturn -snake in the grass-unsung -unexpressed- unproclaimed-unpublished-unexposed-unsignified-unmeant -between the lines-below the surface -implicative-insecure-afraid "

{ International Thesaurus}

Darlene , I salute you !

To lurk or not to lurk ?

" Vexata quaestio" { a vexing or distressing question }

------------------
Van Canna
JOHN THURSTON

"LURKERS"

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Lurk:
"about 1300, to hide or be hidden, probably borrowed from a scandinavian source; Norwegian and Swedish "lurku" 'move slowly-creep forward"

Barnhart dictionary of Entymology.

Sometimes luurking is a necessary survival trait.

Welcome out of the "weeds".

Van Sensei: Am I really going to have to relearn latin to compete with you and J.D.?

(joke)

John T.

------------------

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”