Budo's "Berlin Wall"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gjkhoury

Budo's "Berlin Wall"

Post by gjkhoury »

Budo's "Berlin Wall" is crumbling!

On the heels of Raffi-sensei's visit to VA., I am just back from the first-ever New England regional exchange workout. It was truly awesome!

It is important that we continue to ride this wave, sending a clear message to Okinawa and the WORLD that we will tolerate no objective save that of hard training and total cooperation!

What's next? Where can we improve? Have you called a Uechi brother or sister yet this month? Have you made plans to get together and train?

Summer camp is just around the corner! I know where I'll be the weekend of July 30th. How about you?!

Keep training and EXCHANGING!

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
http://www.uechi-ryu.com/khoury
Raffi Derderian

Budo's "Berlin Wall"

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Gary Sensei,
Riding on my tails? Gee, it would kill me to think that I was part of a wave like you mention. The R.I.-Va. connection is nothing new. I have been to the Va. area once before as guest instructor for their Regional workout about a year and half ago. Those guys always attend my camp seminars at Buzzards Bay. That Va. area is totally open to new ideas and has been for quite some time. (Peggy Hess was a recent guest instructor there also)
I think the political evironment exists now only in the narrow minds of a very few people who in some, but not all cases, have a bit of influence.
I think the direction we (Uechi-ryu) are going in now is fantastic. We have all begun to ignore those narrow minds and realize that we can have a Northeast Regional Workout. I guarentee, there will be more regions doing this in the future. People like Tracey Rose, and yourself are the ones who will continue to motivate others into a great future. And as for that "Wall"...Hell, lets not even talk about it anymore! I think it is officially a thing of the past.
Best wishes,
Raffi
Bill Glasheen

Budo's "Berlin Wall"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Don't forget Spencer sensei and Gorman sensei and Thompson sensei, along with a few other notables like Uechi Kanji sensei. And I'm sure I've offended someone by forgetting them.

Gary has a point worth working on here. It only works when you have individuals that take the initiative to make things happen. Tracy deserves a ton of credit for making things happen in New England. How many other Tracys are there out there? Who will step up next in the deep southeast? The west? I can tell you down here that it isn't easy. I was lucky to have super-organized and compulsive people like Folta and Lostrito to lean on to make things happen. And these folks worked hard behind the scenes to break barriers and have people work out together who were suffering from long-term feuds. It isn't always apparent when you see people sweating and having fun together, but the effort is worth it.

It isn't time to rest on the laurels. It's time to tap into the energy of people like Gary and keep on pushing. It's more than an idea and a feeling; it's active participation.

By the way, Raffi, when can you get those pictures on the scanner? And no fair doing Bruce Willis touch-ups first.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”