"Men with hairy chests smarter than the others"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Bill, JD, Collin, Lori...... I am not making this up! I heard about this study on the local AM talk radio drive time show (50,000 Watt WRVA) on Wednesday morning but missed the reference (I was also on the phone, drinking coffee and eating some of my wife's outstanding banana bread - see what important stuff you can miss while driving if not paying attention.) Well, Bill sensei and I certainly represent that conclusion. (Editor: does JD shave his chest?)

Anyway, researchers, MDs, PhDs, whoever..... please get to the bottom of this for me. It seems like a good topic to debate.

Rich

------------------
Rich in Richmond on the James
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I'm sure Sensei Arthur Rabesa would like to hear of any positive conclusions. He wears a rug!

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
The Editor

Post by The Editor »

Mr. Castanet

We find that keeping his chest clean shaven allows the electodes to adhere better.

--Ed.
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

To the 'Editor': The question appears to be taken as intended. BTW, what are 'electodes' (sic)?
Collin Warder

Post by Collin Warder »

This explains much...

-Collin
The Editor

Post by The Editor »

Mr. Castanet:

Believe us when we state you really do not want to know.

Mr. Warder:

You have no idea.

--Ed.
Collin Warder

Post by Collin Warder »

Woa soo I will get smarter as I get older! Bring it on Mother Nature, bring it on!

Smearing Rogaine on my chest,

-Collin
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Hmmm..... You'all are not taking this seriously. We need to get our hands on this study. Was it 'double blind'? Was there a control group? Does it apply to women?

Bob, jump in here and join the fun.

Will all of you be at Mattson sensei's camp? We need to meet and really solve the world's problems.

BTW, where is Dr. Glasheen at? Surely he can add to this.

Rich
The Editor

Post by The Editor »

Mr. Castanet:

You might find it interesting to know that we found our charge had left the following response:

We would need the original data and study design to avoid speculation. Many of these correlation studies occur "after the fact." Thus, the reporters look at two groups--not always properly matched--and try to find a difference. Certainly there will be more of one or the other. This does not imply causation.

As an example, one can conclude that women should not perform martial arts. We study the group of seniors and determine that the vast majority--greater than expected by chance--are male. Thus, males excel in the martial arts and women do not.

Of course, while Lori may
[He breaks his crayon here] does not take into account many more likely and significant factors such as more men are in the martial arts and certainly far more men engaged in them years ago.

Such studies make it in the popular press. People seem to enjoy that something will predict something positive. "Look Ethel! I must be a genius! Get me another beer!" Hence, the popularity of horoscopes.

Did the study consider hair color? Straight versus curled?

What about hairy palms?

We confiscated his crayons at that point.

--Ed.
Collin Warder

Post by Collin Warder »

Rich:

It's a bit much to ask us to take this kind of statement seriously, but the tenants of Zen tell us not to ignore anything. So, in the nature of progress and mature disscusion, I urge you to uncover some research in this field. I am sure that a scientific analysis would be of interest to the readers of this forum, especially for those of us (blessed?) with hair on our chests Image Until then, I can't help but look at this as another, "If your feet are big you know that means!" <font color ="red" size ="2">(I wear American size 16 shoes and I know this one aint true)</font>

Sceptically awaiting,

-Collin
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hair on the chest = intelligence. Hmmm.
I have a couple of body building friends who shave their chests - is this what is meant by the dumbing of America?
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Collin: I will be discreetly hanging out in the dorms at camp this summer making notes of my observations. More later........

Editor: Will JD be at Mattson sensei's camp?

Rich
The Editor

Post by The Editor »

Mr. Castanet:

We admire your innocence. Once we too believed we could make a difference. We hoped we could change our charges. Now, we have to settle for containing and controling.

We get by, one day at a time.

Since the unfortunate "Garlic Press Incident," we have not had the confidence to allow our most taxing of charges access to the outside. We hope one day the situation will change; we must consider the welfare of the Public.

--Ed.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich

You may be on to something here. At least when I contemplate the idea, my temptation is to agree with the findings. Who cares about this science stuff when the study is bold enough to be agreeable with you?

Now would this exclude women from the intellectually elite. Gosh, in my day I have known many women who would qualify....

I'd better stop before I get into trouble.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”