What they REALLY are like

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

While we are on the subject of camp...

I am quite satisfied with the future of Uechi-Ryu. Why?

While the sensible adults were scurrying to find the seminars and classes in the shade on Saturday, I happened to look up. What did I see?

I saw the Junior Black Belts from our school, in the middle of the field, doing body conditioning exercises. Kotekitae, leg kicks, etc. The whole nine yards.

Now we can debate the merits of a group of adolescents doing body conditioning at all, especially 2PM last Saturday when the ambient temperature was about 95 degrees. But the very fact that they would even do it all is very comforting to me.

Gene
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Michael, David

First of all, I know Margaret Chojin from her kindness at camp '98. I was a hurtin' puppy that weekend. I walked in with full shoulder tendonitis, and had to teach 4 x 1 hour classes of superinpei (with all the deep stances) plus work with Bill Jackson to film the form (more deep stances) plus demo Saturday night. Patrick helped keep me going with his needles. Whether the accupuncture worked or not, I don't know. I was desperate and took anything from ibuprofen to knee wraps to hot showers to Patrick's therapy to a shoulder massage from a mom Saturday evening. Then came Sunday afternoon, and everyone had left early - except Margaret. She gave me a complete accupressure workover. It was nothing less than feeling like you were being pampered by the hands of angels.

As for the forum to compliment a karateka who happens to be a woman, well I respectfully disagree. Good karate is good karate. Not to slight Lori but...Margaret is a fine karateka - period - and need not be shuffled off to the 'girlie chat room'.

I have had the good fortune to work with and show off a few pocket pistols myself (Maria and Kathryn, for those who remember). They and many of my other "Zenas" resented being tossed off with the girls. They tested with the boys and had no problem being voted best candidates. I remember when Mical Kupke and Joan Robinson tested for shodan in Brockton, that they went out of their way to sieze a couple of guys to pair off with for sparring. Bobby Bethony would have nothing to do with it; they were pissed. But that's OK - there were two fewer men that day who got a taste of a good whuppin. :-)

- Bill
Knight

Post by Knight »

Well said, Bill.
Keep your eyes on a couple of (incidentally female) karatekas in each of Gary's and S. Perry's dojos, spoilin' for a sparrin' with the brutish gender.
Michael
david

Post by david »

Well, Bill, you're right about that. My friend Debbie, for example, doesn't want to be a good "female" martial artist, she just wants to be a good one. PERIOD. In sparring, she doesn't want any quarter because she's female. Dare I say it... She wants to be treated as "one of the boys", meaning to bop and be bopped like anyone else who steps into the ring.

david
Jake Steinmann

Post by Jake Steinmann »

I just want to extend my thanks to everyone at camp for extending a friendly hand to a man dressed in a funny pair of pants with a funny colored belt...

Ok, so that covers almost all of us.

Seriously, when my sifu asked me to attend not as a Uechi-practictioner, but as a representative of our Kungfu school, I was a little nervous. Thanks to everyone there for showing a lot of trust and respect (Particularly Sensei Mattson). I couldn't have asked for more.

And for everyone I met there (to many to list), nice to meet you all.
Lori

Post by Lori »

The more I read about camp this year - the sorrier I am that I missed it! Alas it was not meant to be this year...

I also wanted to put some faces to some of the names appearing on these pages!

Missed seeing you again Michael K.! Evan Sensei as well. I also miss having the chance to meet in person John T., David M. (thanks for thinking of me!), Campbell Sensei and so many others...

The reactions to our infamous Doctor X are cracking me up - "Doogie Howser with an attitude" - I love it!

I also would have liked the chance to meet other female martial artists - I have read with interest descriptions of the power and grace of Margaret Chojin's kata - I hope she will be there again next year.

I look forward to next year already - hopefully the creek won't rise like it did this year and we can send the contingent we were initially planning to bombard you New Englanders with this year...

Now - as for some certain Virginians...

Clarification:

The Women's forum is NOT a "girlie chat-room" and one of the core objectives of the WOMEN's forum is NOT to separate us - or to become known as FEMALE martial artists - but a place to highlight the aspects of our style that women add perspective and dimension to! Perhaps some threads will stimulate otherwise male inflated egos that may think that our issues - because they may be voiced from a female standpoint -- need to be relegated to a "girlie chat room!" I sincerely hope that this is not the case - and that the talented and articulate FEMALE martial artists that have graced my forum and others will continue to add their insights and perspectives in ALL areas of this website - we need a voice - feedback I have received from my forum from "lurkers" appreciate the fact that women are speaking out in this traditionally male art - and I hope they will consider the women's forum a resource - and not someplace to be "relegated" to...

Peace,
Lori
Knight

Post by Knight »

Attagirl -- uh, attakarateka, Lori!

We're all on the same page here, I guess, but it shore is fun to have a bit of good natured bantering along the way to enlightenment!

Michael
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Uh-oh. Please do not include this current 'Virginian' in your thinking. I agree with you completely.

Regards, Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Lori

Good of you to stop by.

I make no apologies, except to the extent that you may have misunderstood me.

As the cliche goes, talk is cheap. Results speak for themselves. I am very proud of the few women I have been able to showcase in my years as an instructor. When I grew up, nothing was made of the gender of my six sisters. Yes, they played on "girls" teams, but they were athletes - not women's athletes. All of them were expected to do just as well throughout their education as my brother and I. All of them are now professionals. Some continue to achieve as athletes. To me, my sisters were always the gold standard. I expected no less of my students who happened to be female. Yes, I taught to the individual's size, strength, and life experiences. But they were all karateka. Yes, there were "extracurricular" activities going on in the dojo. But that was a matter of personal choice, and not an issue of power.

My admonishment was not that someone would want to discuss something in your forum - you who happen to be female and have your own perspectives. Rather it was a concern that someone would want to discuss something on your forum because the individual involved was female, and so were you. It was a concern that we - who happen to be predominantly male - wouldn't have any perspective on issues of karate that happen to involve a woman.

And if you disagree with me, I'll send my twin sister down there to kick your butt. :-)

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

P.S. We missed you, Lori.
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Ok, new-comer has her gi in a bunch...I have to say that while Lori's threads do represent more the female point of view, some very important points have been made by the males who visit regularly. It is not solely a female forum. To me the purpose is how to make the training more equal, not how to segregats us from the male herd. If it wasn't for Lori's forum, I most likely would have never become active on the web. And I must say, that it was Lori's, and the others on her page, welcoming attitude that gave me the courage to venture to other forums. I do not give a second thought to questioning or correcting (of couse with all respect) Van Canna's opinions and now of course your's, Bill.

------------------
Shelly
lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

hello,
I MUST AGREE WITH SHELLY. IT WAS LORI'S FORUM THAT GOT ME INVOLVED WITH THE FORUMS IN THE FIRST PLACE.IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR FEMALE KARATEKA TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCES WITH OTHERS.NOT JUST FEMALE BUT MALES AS WELL. THERE ARE SITUATIONS AND PROBLEMS IN THE STUDY OF KARATE THAT ARE UNIQUE TO WOMEN.IT IS MOST HELPFUL TO BE ABLE TO ADDRESS THESE TOPICS WITH OPEN MINDS AND HELP TO BRING US ALL TOGETHER AS STUDENTS.THERE ARE MORE AND MORE WOMEN BECOMING INVOLVED IN THE MARTIAL ARTS EVERY DAY AND I KNOW THAT THE ONES I TRAIN WITH WANT TO BE KNOWN AS GOOD MARTIAL ARTISTS,NOT GOOD FEMALE MARTIAL ARTISTS.
I RECALL ONE NEW MALE STUDENT WHO TOLD ME I DID A GOOD KATA FOR A GIRL.HE WAS SET STRAIGHT RATHER QUICKLY.(HE IS NO LONGER AT OUR DO-JO BY THE WAY.)WE ARE ALL STUDENTS,MARTIAL ARTISTS AND PEOPLE. WE ALL HAVE OPINIONS AND IDEAS, AND IT IS THE SHARING OF THESE THAT WILL BRING US CLOSER TOGETHER IN OUR STUDIES.

REGARDS
LORI-M-D
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Points well taken.

- Bill
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Question...Is there a way to see everybody's user profile? I am very interesting in learning where everyone is and what their professions are.

Bill,
Kinda sounded like a cop-out? I was expecting something a little more dramatic.

Another question from the new kid...Sometimes you guys say lastname sensei and other times sensei lastname, what's the difference, if any?

------------------
Shelly
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Shelly: Click on the little box with the '?' on it. It is on everyones posts and will open their profile.

I believe 'surname' sensei is the proper grammer for oriental names. At camp for instance, Nestor Folta sensei introduces our system namesake as Uechi Kanmai sensei.

Regards, Rich

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”