What they REALLY are like

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shelly

Not a copout at all. Please carefully reread what I wrote. You will see that my position is perfectly consistent with what you wrote. Oh yea, I throw out a few zingers (like 'girlie chat room') now and then just to get a conversation going. But often people with a playful sense of humor who are completely secure with themselves and their positions will feel confident enough to push a few buttons to get peoples' attention. That doesn't mean they are extremists; on the contrary it means that they are comfortable with the issues and so don't fear the P.C. police. A long time ago George Mattson once told me in confidence that the problem with many relationships start with one or the other party losing their sense of humor about themselves.

And after all, I got you and Lori M-D to post on this forum for the first time. I am tickled to death.

As for the title and order issue, it's an English language vs. Japanese language thing. In English, we say "Mr. Jones." In Japanese, the proper way to say the same is "Jones san." In America, we say "Bill Glasheen"; in proper Japanese, we would say "Uechi Kanmei" on Okinawa. To your American Literature teacher, you would say "Mr. Smith", or "Doctor Smith"; on Okinawa you would say "Smith sensei." But we Americans kind of mix things up. However you will find the Okinawans to be very tolerant of such Franglais. Traditional Japanese is very complex when it comes to deference to position, experience, and age. Mostly they know we don't understand, and instead appreciate the sincerity of effort.

- Bill
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Thanks for the language lesson. Greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, I did re-read your post...carefully. I just wonder why you keep talking about "showcasing" your female students. Are they somehow different from your other students? Just a thought...

------------------
Shelly
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Now that's the spirit I'm looking for. Oh man, just dropped a piece of chicken on my keyboard. Well that's what I get for trying to type and eat. Anyway, someone(Bill) said not so very long ago on this forum that sometimes you have to push a few buttons to get the response you're looking for. Besides, I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I know the strides women have had to take to make it this far. So what do you say...Truce.

Everybody keeps talking about these camps assuming everyone else knows about them. What are they and who goes?

------------------
Shelly
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Uechi ryu camps actually started in the early eighties, and used to be held on Thompson island. The most famous "old" camp was 1984, a week long, and had half a dozen Okinawan masters (Uechi Kanei, Tomoyose Ryuko, Nakahodo, Yonamine, Takamiyagi, etc, etc).

These days, George Mattson's camps are a 3 day weekend - usually the second weekend in August - and held at Massachusettes Maritime Academy in Buzzard's Bay. The old camps consisted of single classes that everyone attended. The modern ones have multiple sessions going on hourly and simultaneously. Subjects include Uechi karate, kobudo, kali/escrima, jiujitsu, self defense, Chinese forms, etc, etc. It's a good way to open up your eyes to all the different directions you can take to personalize your martial journey. It's also a good way to meet, sweat with, and party with many folks that you've only heard of by name.

So....can we expect you at the next one with a few buddies? Lori will appreciate the support and company.

- Bill
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Maybe...What's the cost? (student loans and all that, poor girl has to plan ahead) How far in advance do you have to register?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shelly

Check on Camp '99 on the front page. View the application and you see that you can get the full treatment (camp, room, board for 3 days) for $274 with "early" entry. It's an incredible financial value.

Find a way to go. As someone who was a poor student for many, many years, I can tell you that this is worth it and you should try hard to find a way to be creative with finances so you can make it. You don't want to go as a white belt because you won't appreciate everything that is offered, but even little kids and mid-level kyu ranks have plenty offered to them that make the trip worth it. Actually I drive a few poor students up in my van from Virginia each year to keep costs down for everyone. Roughing it can be part of the fun of the experience.

You have plenty of time to think about it before Camp 2000.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Oye...can I cause some trouble.

LET ME MAKE MYSELF PERFECTLY CLEAR.

I spoke of some "situations" above. I also talked about a conversation I had with Rabesa sensei. Art is a distinguished karateka whose reputation is beyond reproach. He merely commented on Maria's "great range" of moods. Art did not understand, because he is an honorable person; he commented on what appeared to be quirky behavior.

If it weren't for the reputation and ability of Rabesa sensei, many karateka would not be still practicing. We are all very lucky.

On the other hand....I will not hold back in describing what the female pioneers had to endure (from others). Bad behavior that is swept under the rug will only be repeated. I will not, however, publically malign the people - only the behavior. The names of the "guilty" have been left out.

And all karateka are lucky that there were once a few pistols out there who would confront the unconfrontable and tell them to 's*** in their hat.' They made room for the gentle(wo)men of today.

My most sincere apologies if there were any misunderstandings. The last thing I want is for anyone to think I view Rabesa sensei as anything but a class act.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 08-19-99).]
lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

HI BILL,
IT'S NICE TO FEEL WELCOME ON YOUR FORUM BUT I MUST SAY, I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU ABOUT ATTENDING CAMPS AS A WHITE BELT.I ATTENDED CAMP AT BUZZERDS BAY THREE YEARS AGO. I THINK I WAS A ROKKYU AT THE TIME AND I HAD A BLAST.
I DO HAVE TO ADMIT THAT I WAS A TAD INTIMIDATED THE FIRST DAY BUT SOON WAS SO ENGROSSED IN THE CLASSES I FORGOT TO BE SELF CONCIOUS OF THE COLOR OF MY BELT.WHEN YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE IN THE PRESENCE OF SUCH PEOPLE AS SENSEIS BOB CAMPBELL,ARTHOR RABESA, BOB BETHONY,AL WHARTON AND OF COURSE UECHI SENSEI I SAY YOU JUMP AT THE CHANCE.I CAME AWAY FROM EACH CLASS WITH SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.AND SOME GREAT STORIES.UNFORTUNATLY, DUE TO THE LOW CANADIAN DOLLAR, AND OTHER CONFLICTING EVENTS,THE LAST TWO YEARS I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO ATTEND. I WOULD HOWEVER LIKE TO INFORM ALL OF YOU THAT MY SENSEI HAS STARTED A SUMMER CAMP HERE IN NOVA SCOTIA. THIS PAST JULY WAS THE FIRST AND IT WAS A RAGING SUCCESS. WE WERE PRIVELAGED TO HAVE WITH US SENSEIS BOB BETHONY, VAN CANNA,ARTHOR RABESA,PETER BLACKMAN, CLARENCE WILDER,GEORGE MATTSON AND OUR OWN LOCAL SENSEIS, DUNCAN MACLEOD, LOUIE HOPPER, DANNY MACDOUGALL AND MANY OTHERS. WE WERE ALSO LUCKY TO HAVE SENSEI RON FAGAN AND HIS SENSEI MAS TSUROKA IN ATTENDANCE. IT WAS THREE DAYS OF FANTASTIC SEMINARS AND THREE NIGHTS OF GREAT PARTYS AND FRIENDSHIP. I WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND A WELCOME TO ANY OF YOU OUT THERE WHO WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND NEXT YEARS CAMP AND SEE A BEAUTIFUL PART OF OUR COUNTRY.NEXT YEARS CAMP PROMISES TO BE BIGGER AND BETTER. IF ANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE INFO PLEASE CHECK OUT THE ATLANTIC MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING CAMP WEB SITE AT :http://members.com/karatecamp/
HOPEFULLY NEXT YEAR I WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND BOTH.I WOULD LOVE To ATTEND ANOTHER OF BOB CAMPBELLS CLASSES!
LORI M-D

[This message has been edited by lori macleod-doyle (edited 08-19-99).]
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shelly

When I first started teaching karate in 1978, the idea of a female black belt was still quite a novel idea. Women weren't found in the weight room, and women's bodybuilding didn't exist.

I can remember once in the early eighties coming to a camp on Thompson island with two of my females students. Both of them were hit on - in quite the crude fashion - by two well-known, highly ranked (and married) men who should have known better. One of them tested for her black belt at the camp. The comment from one of the judges was "Great form. Karate's not bad either."

Nevertheless, these two did more to educate the men about what women could do - just by being themselves. I was protective of them, but not too much. They did it all on their own, with my implied support. I can remember Rabesa sensei coming up to me during the camp and saying "That Maria, she'd just as soon tell you to s*** in your hat as say Hi." Gee...I wonder why. I just smiled.

As for the bodybuilding, well....I married a competitive bodybuilder. And with a lot of gentle encouragement, I got my female students in the weight room. And none of them grew hair or came out dragging their knuckles. They just got stronger and better.

Many women today just don't know or understand what the previous generation of women did to make things easier today. Yes, it used to be worse. A LOT worse. So if you see a woman with advanced rank in the Uechi, give her a LOT of respect. She probably deserves it.

- Bill
lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Sorry Dr. X
Bad habit. Bad typist. Must concentrate.
I have only been using a computer a short while and I was more worried about sounding like an idiot than looking like one. I'll try to make my posts easier to read from now on.
By the way, when was your last eye exam?

LORI-M-D
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Bill,

This is lighthearted banter, but last I heard Art Rabesa broke the makiwara with a back kick after reading your post about the seniors at summer camp!

When I asked him why, he said he is honing his technique to organize a raid upon your homeland to rip your skeletons out of your closet! Smile

------------------
Van Canna
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

X

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 08-20-99).]
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

J.D.

Don't need the back hoe; I fell in a deep hole long ago.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van, Art

You mean I have a reputation worth protecting?

Natalie

I couldn't have said it better myself.

As for the pre-contest diet...I'll send you the phone number; we don't have the home machine hooked up right now.

Lori M.D.

Most of us never worry about looking like idiots.

- Bill
david

Post by david »

Just want to chime in that I am enjoying the influx of new participants and perspectives in these forums.

It's nice to hear other opinions besides one's own. Image

Please keep posting folks. We are all learning.

david

[This message has been edited by david (edited 08-20-99).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”