What they REALLY are like...Major diversion

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van Canna Sensei

Your request was well-stated and deserves a response.

I would like to state why I will drop this subject:

1) First of all, I made a mistake and handled this badly. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

2) I agree 100% that this is a very touchy subject. I taught "coed" martial arts classes for 14 years at UVa. I saw a lot. It's a two way street in many ways. I've had just as many marriages come out of my classes as I've had cases that might fall under the category of sexual harrassment. I repeatedly saw "situations" that demanded good management of environment by a strong leader rather than incrimination of otherwise good people. For every male I needed to speak with, there was at least one female that I drove home from a social event totally passed out (and vulnerable to whatever). And the nation as a whole has been struggling publically with an issue that has changing rules and bizarre twists. If the court system struggled with the discussion of a Seinfeld episode at the office, how can we as a group be expected to understand the whole subject?

3) In the martial arts world, there really were no rules - just "every person for themselves," and the judgement of gentlemen and gentlewomen. Recently Ron Klein created a code (published on this page) that was intended to deal with issues like these. Our group is way ahead of others by acknowledging problems of ethics and dealing with them. Just because others don't acknowledge it doesn't mean it isn't there! Au contraire, it's a good sign that there are problems.

4) It would hardly be fair to dig up old issues that happened before NAC and IUKF developed a code of ethics and conduct. It is a mistake to think that there were no problems before then. Any time you have a minority in a large group without proper process, the minority concerns will be trampled on. It's a fact of life. So from the standpoint of a few individuals, there will always be resentment of the past. But IUKF acknowledged it and dealt with it.

5) I am hardly an expert on the subject of sexual harassment. My wife was an emergency rape counselor for years (back in our UVa days, before we were married), and so I picked up on some of the issues. My point? Not everyone who meets an unpleasant situation demands a confrontation. It was my mistake to bring this up. It is the victim's prerogative, period. But that doesn't mean that the issue should never be discussed or acknowledged - in the general sense. This privacy is important to maintain so that more individuals will seek help at whatever level they choose. In other situations, I have gone to court with women (as quiet support) and seen to it that the situation reached its proper conclusion. Fortunately I've never needed to be in court for anything terribly serious.

I repeat - this was my mistake.

6) Whenever possible, I like to deal with issues and behavior, and avert a situation where individuals need to be dragged down. Avoidance is the best solution; good leaders can create a safe playing field for all. Again, it's the issue and the behavior that need to be focused on - NOT the people. Very few people in life are innately "evil."

7) If you need a scapegoat in this situation, I'll gladly volunteer. Sorry, I'm the only one that will be delivered. End of discussion.

8) I'm leaving the country tomorrow to teach Uechi for a week. It would hardly be appropriate for me to start something and run.

I am glad this was an opportunity to bring more people to the discussion forum. While I'm not advocating the end justifying the means, I hope it bodes for better discussions ahead.

Sincerely and Regretfully,
Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Hi Bill,

Well stated! Never any hard feelings, you know that!

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

------------------
Van Canna

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”