A Trip to Japan

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Collin Warder

A Trip to Japan

Post by Collin Warder »

To All:

As some of you know, I am a 20 year old college student from California and as a student martial artist I am exploring various ways that I may visit some of these "origin" (Japan/Korea/China) countries, especially Japan.

I am currently researching intership opportunities. Do any of you have any suggestions? One of my majors is in International Business with an East Asian emphasis (I am studying Japanese as a language). Of course I want to travel to Japan to complement my major, but I would also love the opportunity to train there. Are any of you aware of specific opportunities available? Did any of you travel to Japan while in college? Thanks prior for any help Image

-Collin
Gene DeMambro

A Trip to Japan

Post by Gene DeMambro »

When school's over for you, how 'bout going to Japan for a year to teach English?

Gene
Bill Glasheen

A Trip to Japan

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Collin

I've had at least half a dozen of my former UVa Uechi students do exactly what Gene suggested. There was (and perhaps still is) a Japan Exchange Teaching program that allowed graduating college students to be sent to a rural area in Japan to teach English language to Japanese high schoolers. It's a great way to learn the language and culture. Yes, the learning goes both ways. They want the teachers to be American, but the Americans can't help but be fascinated by the day-to-day ways of the Japanese.

On the down side, not one of the students I know of who did the program spoke of any significant gains in their martial arts while over there. Just as there are good and bad martial arts schools over here, so the same can be said of over there. On average, you aren't going to find a great school of martial arts in rural mainland Japan. But learning about the language and culture can pay off later on when/if you visit the known centers of martial excellence.

- Bill
natalie lane

A Trip to Japan

Post by natalie lane »

I have a friend in South Korea who is there teaching English in college. He says that there are many opportunities to tutor on the side as well. He has been there for a few years, and has married a Korean woman, and they just had a beautiful little girl.
I can't wait to visit them in October, I'm going over for a couple of weeks.

He doesn't study any martial arts, but Korea is a big TKD place. He did mention that almost all men there know some martial arts, and black belts are plentiful. As for the quality of the karate or tkd, I hope to find out when I visit.

Good luck.

Natalie
Collin Warder

A Trip to Japan

Post by Collin Warder »

Martial art study is secondary for me a Image I am solo training right now and I am content with continuing this way for some time.

My primary focuss on going to Japan is A) because I love the culture and language and B) because a fluency in Japanese will greatly complement my degree in International Business.

After graduation I will either go into business or ship off the the FBI academy in Quantico. Which ever I choose I would love to have a fluency in Japanese and even Chinese.

-Collin
Roy Bedard

A Trip to Japan

Post by Roy Bedard »

Colin,

I am intrigued by your posts. I will be heading to Osaka with my company (RRB Systems, International - law enforcement products and training) October 15-22 of this year.
Your interest in going there, your mention of studying international business and your desire to attend the FBI academy seems eerily coincidental to me. They say there is timing in everything. I may have some opportunity for you in the future.

Please contact me at my personal email rrb1@tdo.infi.net at your convenience to tell me more.

Roy
gjkhoury

A Trip to Japan

Post by gjkhoury »

Collin:

I took off only a month after college grad and wound up living in Japan for 5 years.

I've got a lot of experience and a lot of contacts.

If I can help, please call me: 978-858-0123.

Respectfully,

Gary J. Khoury
Collin Warder

A Trip to Japan

Post by Collin Warder »

Roy and Gary:

MUCH appreciation to the both of you! I have some straightening to do in my life right now, but hope to contact you in time. Thanks again Image

-Collin

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”