Back from Regensburg, Germany

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Welcome back Bill!

Just a simple question...perhaps you can stay out of trouble this time...

Why does it seem karate folks are just as bad as engineers when it comes to talking about traveling, history, and even the weather...that it somehow always relates to beer?

Just wondering...

------------------
Shelly
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The camp in Germany (my second) was as good as I expected.

First of all, the Germans...er...I mean THE BAVARIANS know how to party. For those of you who are not familiar, Regensburg is a 2000+ year old town on the Danube that was at one time the northern-most reach of the old Roman Empire. For many, many centuries it was completely independent - an independence that it gained via its wealth from trade. Even today it maintains special privledges as a German state. Beer is classified as a food item so that Bavarians can get around a lot of laws against drinking. Bavarian factory workers are allowed one mug of beer per shift (size not specified). Bavarians doing their year of military service are the only Germans allowed to drink.

Among the many social events we were treated to, we were brought on a tour of the city by a tour guide who knew her history. There we witnessed centuries of culture from Celts (the first settlers) to Romans to Jews to Germans and more. The attitude about life of some Bavarians is captured in a centuries-old statue in one of the old building squares (four walls of buildings with a courtyard). There a woman stands with breasts exposed, a time capsule in one hand, and a finger pointing down to a skull at her foot. It is the visual equivalent of the expression carpe diem.

The architecture of the city leaves a buff like myself with his head spinning. Germans build things to last. A stone bridge over the Danube is well over 1000 years old and perfectly functional, carrying both busses and cars. Buildings older than that are regularly renovated and reused, because their shells last forever. Every time something is renovated, the historians come in and catalogue any artifacts dug up.

Oh and I can't escape without telling you about my renewed love of the Autobann. Alois drove George and I from Munich to Regensburg in his BMW at speeds as high as 220 km/hr (about 135 mph). George got a picture of the speedometer at one point; first time I ever saw George nervous about speed.

And the karate? Very good. Regensburg is quite the international dojo, and has the strongest presence of women of all the German dojos. The two chief instructors started with experience in other martial arts. It was founded by my student, Bruce Hirabayashi, while he was stationed there when working for Siemens. Other dojo exist in cities like Erlangen (the largest), Bad Kissen, Munich, etc. All the German dojos (and some of the Slovenians) get together whenever any of their "regular" influences come over (Jack Summers, Peggy Hess, James Thompson, Nakahodo, etc.). While there has been a recent attempt of one of the "factions" to isolate, it is a tradition born only of outside pettiness. Thankfully it is not the German Uechi way. Practitioners from all countries - ALL countries - could learn much from their wonderful attitude. It is born from both their desire to learn and the attitude of those non-German seniors who started and maintain German Uechi Ryu.

One last note. Milan represented one of the Slovenian dojos at the camp. Igor Praznikar was invited, but reports came back that he has been ill for some time. But he managed to send me a very nice, personal note, acompanied by a case of beer. I wish Igor good health and a speedy recovery.

Thankfully traveling west through 6 times zones is nowhere near as bad as the reverse. I feel well-rested my first day back. I made more new friends, and feel like I took part in my international effort to stamp out isolationist attitudes and martial arrogance. And like most good teaching experiences, I feel like I received as much as I gave. It is the hard/soft way.

- Bill
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Bill,

Vie gehts!
Boy do I envy you. Germany is where I learned Uechi Ryu. In the town of Bad Kissingen. I have a picture I will post of the main core of the class at the time (1983). One of the guys I trained with I believe is a 3rd dan now. (saw his picture on Alan Dollars old site when he had visited Germany).

Did you get to go to any Volksfests? Eat in the Guesthaus's?

I miss Germany. I've always wanted to go back.

Tchuss,
Scott

------------------
George Mattson's Directory Of Links
www.xpres.net/~gmattson/cgi-bin/links/index.html
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/t_charge.htm
Martial Arts Of Long Island
members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shelly

Good to hear from you.

Drinking is not part of my normal activity. I just plain don't have time for it in my busy schedule and I feel strongly against drinking and driving. I only imbibe on special occasions - particularly when we are dealing with something special. Cheap beer smells like urine to me, cheap wine gives me a vicious headache, and cheap Scotch reminds me of that time I saw it a second time. So in my case, the stereotype doesn't apply.

German beer is special; only a good stout beer impresses me more. And one only needs to drive from Munich to Regensburg and see the miles and miles of hops fields to understand the importance of beer, BMWs, and Siemens automotive parts to the Regensburg economy. Finally, one must meet the people and study their culture to appreciate how integral beer is to their social fabric.

The same can be said of the Japanese culture. During the day, formality prevents Japanese businessmen from broaching important subjects. However alcohol and food after hours are the catalyst to frank discussions and honest relationships. To ignore it is to miss an important part of the big picture.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 09-01-99).]
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Scott

As you can see from my abuse of the spelling of German cities, German is a language that is still foreign to me. Fortunately Bruce speaks fluent German, and the Germans in general know English pretty well. In my graduate program I had only one professor who had English as a first language, so I am used to speaking without slang and in ways that are easy for foreigners to understand. It was very easy for me to teach classes without a translator. I rarely had any communication problems, even after hours while talking one-on-one with the dojo members.

There was one fellow there that others called "Cookie" that I believe was from the Bad Kissengen dojo. Very nice guy with a good sense of humor.

I did indeed have a chance to attend a Volksfest in Regensburg. George and I went to one with a dozen or so members from the Regensburg and Erlangen dojos. There were plenty of amusement rides and selling of items, but we went inside a big tent where a band was playing traditional and semi-contemporary Bavarian music. There was that one song though by John Denver about West Virginia.... That general genre of music. But George and I had great fun just watching everyone. When people knew the music, many just sang along. It wasn't unusual to see a dozen or so people up on the tables dancing away. And it didn't matter what the age or personal appearance; if the mood was right, the body would take over. That, in fact, was the most touching part of the whole scene. Three tables away, there was a curvaceous twentysomething dancing and shimmying on the table, while right in front of us was a fiftysomething young obese woman with mug and cigarette prancing and dancing away. There were more than a few working-class-type men going crazy like in any American bar, whereas behind us were some elderly, gray couples doing the cheek-to-cheek with big smiles on their faces. There was no generation gap at this scene; it was a great place for a people watcher like myself.

The Germans like their meat and potatoes. I ate at several of the "hauses" in both Munich and Regensburg. I ate more pork than I've had in the last 10 years. But I found it interesting that one woman from the Erlangen dojo told me that the latter generation was becoming more health conscious.

Now if they could only do something about all those cigarette smokers.... Damned Marlboros. Where do those things come from anyhow? Ohhh yeaaa... Phillip Morris, Richmond, VA

- Bill
Bruce Hirabayashi

Post by Bruce Hirabayashi »

Hi Scott:

As you know Uechi-ryu in Germany was started 14+ years ago by a GI in Wuerzburg (the name escapes me at the moment), then spread from there. The next two dojos were formed in Bad Kissingen and Erlangen. The Erlangen dojo was started in 1990 by Joachim "Baer" Roettinger: he received his Yondan Summer 1998. The Bad Kissingen dojo was more of a joint venture: Juergen "Cookie" Steiner, Alexander "Sumo" Renninger, and Mario Janson. All three are currently Yondans (also promoted in Summer 1998). Uechi in Germany has expanded. In 1993 I started a dojo in Regensburg, which is currently run by Nidans Paul Kronschnabl and Helmut Hoesl. Sumo Renninger leads a dojo in Munich. Mario operates a dojo in Wuerzburg, separate from the original Wuerzburg dojo. Cookie runs a dojo near Bad Kissingen (Muennerstadt), and one of the original three's students, Helmut Schmitt (a Nidan), operates the Bad Kissingen dojo. There is also a small start up dojo in Nuremburg (Michel Pophal, Nidan). For more details check out:

www.turnerbund.de/abteil/karate/germany.htm

or

www.donau.de/vereine/rt/karate/uechi/

or

www.franken.de/users/sahara/mip/index.htm

The first site is in English + German; the second two in German only.

As is the case elsewhere in the world, the Uechi-ryu dojos in Germany are split up into SOKE, Okikukai and Kenyukai (sp?) associations. For the most part, the Germans try to ignor the associations (except when it comes to sending in money for Dan tests) and work with each other freely. For example, in deference to George, most students from other dojos made a point of not wearing any patches at the camp held in Regensburg.

The great majority the German Uechi-ka (I can't speak for them all) are quite happy to receive and entertain visitors from overseas. If given sufficient warning, some may even arrange to take some time off from work (most have 29 days of vacation per year) to show you around.

------------------

Edited by Bill Glasheen to add UBB code

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 09-02-99).]
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Hi Bruce,

You may be surprised to learn that Uechi was in Germany as far back as 1981. That is when I studied (81-83) I was there from 80-83. My teacher was a Lieutenant at the time, Eric Bishop. He started teaching in the barrack's attic. He was actually an Ikkyu at the time because he had a hard time getting to test. He finally made shodan soon after I left when his teacher from Kalamazoo Michigan visited. He was in Fox troop and I was in HHT but billited in his troops barracks until I moved off post. We were in 2/11 Armored Cavalry Regiment stationed in Bad Kissingen.

After teching a few months on post, he started teaching downtown in the town gym. I assisted him because at the time I was the only GI left studying with him. When he started teaching, the gym got filled. It was actually a large room that was also used by an Aikido class. There was a seperate weight room in the facility.

Anyway, I managed to contact him one more time a few years ago. Last I know, he was a major teaching ROTC in Lafayette Indiana. I beleive he was also a sandan. I didn't get to speak to him much then.

He was a major influence in my life for a long time. A real stand up guy (for an officer Image I was an NCO).

I will post our class picture on another thread so as not to slow this one down. It was taken the day before I left Germany to come home to civillian life. He also promoted me to sankyu that day.

Scott
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Bill,

Isn't Germany Awesome?

Did you notice that when German's get drunk they sing and sway and dance and go siki saki siki saki hoy hoy hoy? (I probably spelled that wrong). And everyone has a great time.

What a contrast to the dumb American (GI) who would get drunk and into fights. It was a good thing me and my buddies hung out with the Germans. The Americans were an embarrasment.

Really want to see Germany when it's fun? Go during the Fashen(sp?) season. It was a total blast. It's hard to explain what that is but let's just say every weekend (and sometimes during the week) for a month you are partying big time.

Scott
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bruce

Thanks for the historical details. I've never had them in print before. And thanks to Scott for adding to it. I added UBB code to make it possible to click on the web addresses.

Scott

Yes, drunken Americans can be an embarassment. And this good behavior among the tipsy Bavarians explains why so many generations coexisted at the Volksfests. In contrast, you see what happened at Woodstock II? Different generation (from the original), different "state of mind."

- Bill
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

Geez Bill

It was suppose to be a SIMPLE question...a yes or no would have been adequate. (evil grin)

I do enjoy a good dark stout but no matter how much German blood I have in my veins, I will never be able to drink warm beer (do they still do that) or eat kraut.

------------------
Shelly
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Shelly

Ice is not customarily served in restaurants. But if it tastes bad warm, it isn't worth drinking in the first place. At least that's my own personal view.

Saurkraut is an acquired taste. I had lots of both the white and red variety while there. It was the only "vegetable" I could get at the numerous biergartens where we ate.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 09-02-99).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”