karate gi

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Neal

karate gi

Post by Neal »

Im planning on up grading my uniform to a Tokaido brand uniform but I need some opionions on that before I go off the deep end and purchase an exspensive gi like that.
My former sensei wears a Shureido and he swears by them too.Atleast I've seen it in action...I cant say that about the Tokaido. I can say that I have heard only good things about them.
Can anyone offer an opionion or a comparison between the two? No...I will NOT hold anyone responsible should I buy one and then dissagree! Image
Thanks in advance Neal
maurice richard libby

karate gi

Post by maurice richard libby »

Neal,

I like my Tokkaido, but it's really old. The new ones are too expensive, and I don't think the material is as good as it was.

I tried an Anshin gi at a seminar once. It is cheaper than Tokkaido, and much better, in my opinion. They make their own material, I'm told. They have a web site somewhere. They have three different styles that you can mix and match, which I like since my top and bottom don't match very well Image.

take this for what it's worth.

have fun, and good luck on your grading

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
Robb in Sacramento

karate gi

Post by Robb in Sacramento »

Neal:

I have worn both Tokaido and Shureido. The Shureido held up better. I understand Tokaido had some problems with the folks in Pakistan that were sewing the gis together. Apparently, there was a substitution of thread, and the stitching on the Tokaido fell apart. I had purchased one of these gis, and the seams just would not hold together. For a Uechi stylist, this was unacceptable, as both bunkai and kumite practice demand a gi that won't fall apart if someone is tugging on it. I understand Tokaido has remedied the thread problem, and I have several Shotokan friends who refuse to practice in any other gi.

The Anshin is a nice gi, but it is still expensive and lacks the detailing of either the Tokaido or the Shureido. The folks at Anshin, however, are extremely helpful and willing to work with you. So far, the gi I purchased from them is holding up well, even in the hot Sacramento summer.

If you are an instructor, Ryu Kyu Enterprises [located in Orange, California] will setup a wholesale account for you if you are interested in buying any Shureido product. The benefit of doing this, is that Shureido is [in my opinion] the best manufacturer of Kobudo supplies. Once you have used a Shuriedo Sai, its tough going back to the competition. The folks at Ryu Kyu are also very helpful and wonderful to work with. You might also see if any of the Uechi instructors in your area have already established a relationship with Shureido. Often, an established relationship can also get you an embroidered gi.

Let us know what you pick.

Peace
Robb in Sacramento
Allen M.

karate gi

Post by Allen M. »

The Anshin Gi:

These people custom measured a gi for me at gem's camp about 3 years ago. It is by far the best gi I have ever worn.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Neal

karate gi

Post by Neal »

Thanks for the input on Tokaido...I just emailed them asking about the fabric holding together at the seams.I'll see what they have to say.
If anyone is interested the url to the web site Im dealing with is "direct from Japan"
at www1.webnik.ne.jp/~tokaido/index.htm
Sorry I wasnt able to send the address as an attachment....havent quite figured out just "how" to do that yet.Oh well... Image
Thanks again Neal
Brian

karate gi

Post by Brian »

I have dealt with Tokaido direct,and while I was extremely impressed by their speedy delivery and great customer service,I'm really not that happy with the Gi. I am, however, very happy with the embroidered belt I ordered. The factory embroidery(doesn't show through on the back) is gorgeous. The Gi just doesn't fit right(too loose here,not enough room there).
I have been a loyal fan of Shureido for about 18yrs(can't really find anything bad to say about them)but I wish the jackets were longer in the body. I have become a new convert to Kamikaze brand (http://www.kamikazeuniforms.com). They fit exactly how I want them to.
RE:Shureido Sai: I too felt that they were the best Sai availible for the last 12 years or so, until I tried Peter Carbone's Agena Sai.(http://members.aol.com/pmcarbone/weapons.htm.) These are absolutely the BEST Sai I have ever used. They are expensive, but well worth the money.They are availible in a natural blued finish or stainless steel(I recommend stainless),and made to order in any length at 1/2 increments,so you're gauranteed a perfect fit.
RE:Anshin: I know Mark Mirski, the owner of Anshin, pretty well, and I know that he stands behind his product completely. I would not hesitate to recommend his Gi just knowing that he will go way out of his way to make you happy.

Regards,
Brian
Brian

karate gi

Post by Brian »

Again, regarding Tokaido Gi: overall, I think they are smaller than most other brands. I usually take size 6(Shureido,Kamikaze),so I bought a size 6 Tokaido. I think a size 7 would fit a lot better, or at least a 6 1/2.
If I were you, I would try to find a distributer in the US to buy the Gi from. That way, if it doesn't fit, you can return it for a better size(you can't do that with their internet service-no returns).

Good luck
Brian
Evan Pantazi

karate gi

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Where do you New England folks get your Shureidos from. I have used KI in the past but the Quality is really deminished recently. We actually have had Gi's the the material was in such condition aftrer a few washes that you could hand rip the patch off the Gi in the shape of the patch, right through the material.

We use Tokaido belts as they are a great belt, but I would like to try the shureidos as well...tokaidos are sometimes hard to get.

Robb San, is there a web address for the wholesaler you mentioned with Shureido products?

------------------
Evan Pantazi
www.erols.com/kyusho
Hassell

karate gi

Post by Hassell »

Folks,

Mark and Linda of Anshin can be reached at: www2.lr.net/anshin/

Send e-mail to <A HREF="mailto:anshin@lr.net">anshin@lr.net</A>

Here is another site you may want to consider : www.doshinmartialarts.com

John
Robb in Sacramento

karate gi

Mr. Pantazi:

If Ryukyu Enterprises has a web site, they are not sharing it with anyone. You may write them (you remember, involves an envelope and stamps...can't say most of us on this forum probably get much practice at this medium of communication) at:

Ryukyu Enterprises, Inc.
438 West Taft Avenue
Orange, CA 92665

(You could also visit them the next time you feel like going to Disneyland.)

Or phone them at (714) 921-0946

If you want to order a Shureido over the web, the doshin site listed by Mr. Hassel offers a full line.

Peace
Robb in Sacramento
Bill Glasheen

karate gi

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I have a fondness for Shureido, Tokaido, and Mitsubishi brand gis. However, they are far too expensive right now for reasons I cannot figure out. They are definitely not a good value. Our own dojo supplier gets Century brand gis for the faithful, but they don't seem to fit me quite right.

Recently I have become fond of Kwon gis. Kwon is a German company, and I was first introduced to them when looking for a color (green) of gi that wasn't black and wouldn't stain like white. If you aren't into the green, they sell a white version of this "Self defense" gi. For those of you who get beyond karate 101 kick and punch, these gi tops can take some serious grappling work without looking really bulky like a judo gi. They are reniforced with extra material in the collar, underarm, chest area, and groin. I am forever ripping the gis of fellow karateka who use the standard karate kind when I do throw demos, but I have yet to hurt one of these gis. Just a thought... Kwon also sells standard karate, taekwondo, kung fu, boxing, kickboxing, and other uniforms. They aren't cheap, but they aren't nearly as bad as the "name brand" Asian variety. A word of warning...I wear size 5 1/2 in most gi brands, but size 4 in Kwon. They are sized quite differently. Read the charts.

- Bill
Steve

karate gi

Post by Steve »

Anyone else use or know anything about the Hayashi gi's? I brought two back from Singapore in January (jiu-jitsu and karate) and am still waiting for them to soften up!

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Gary Santaniello

karate gi

Post by Gary Santaniello »

Having been convinced of the quality of "Shureido" by those whom have them, i still find them to be somewhat high in price. However if one can afford the cost they say that it's worth it.

Having had many different brands over the years i had purchased a "Pine Tree" middle weight gi last year that is very comfortable, loose fittng, 14/16 ounce not short in top, and runs about $65.00 to schools from Ninja World in R.I.

Anyone knowing a local distributor of "Shureido" at wholesale to schools and their cost please post the info. Last i knew they were costing $150.00 to $175.00 (New England Area)

Pine Tree does make a heavier weight one for a few dollars more.

Some say the "Century" gi's are also descent in a mid/hvy weight. Stay away from "Tiger Claw" and "Zubar's" they run a bit snug and restrictive.

All joking aside, to much bleach makes a gi brittle to rip easily if not rinsed out enough. Had it happen to me. Also, use fabric softner in the washing of new gi's, they will soften up, why wait for them to soten up on there own, you all knew that, right? Of course!

------------------
Gary S.
Shelly King

karate gi

Post by Shelly King »

On a side note: I wear a Shureido top on loan from my sensei. It probably has to be 5-7 years old if not older and though it has a few rough spots, it is still in good shape. It did take a bit to get use to the weight. But the reason for this post is: Rid Dye makes a fabric whitener that works really well on keeping everything white and removing dis-colorations (ie. sweat and hard water stains) and seems to be alot easier on the fabric than bleach. For as old as the top is, it still hasn't softened up or if it has, I would hate to see what a new one is like. I throw mine in the dryer on fluff-no heat for about 20 minutes before class and that seems to loosen it up pretty well.

Just a little womanly advice on laundry...

------------------
Shelly
Robb in Sacramento

karate gi

Shelly:

You put your Shureido in the dryer!!!
Well, it's plain to see you are a laugh in the face of death, live on the razors edge, life in the fast lane type person. You're going to do great in Uechi.

Peace
Robb in Sacramento

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”