More Supplements for Joints

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

To all: Anyone out there hear of SAM-e for joint pain AND mood improvement? How about MSM?

Rich
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rich

I'm not an expert on either of these, but I'll pass on the little I know. I need time to digest the information.

SAM-e is S-adenosyl-methionine. It occurs naturally in the body, and is found free-floating in the bloodstream. It is produced by combining the amino acid methionine with ATP - the cellular energy molecule. Allegedly SAM-e is involved in three major biochemical reactions in the body: trans-sulphuration, transmethylation, and transaminopropylation. Blood levels of SAM-e are allegedly seven times higher in children than adults, and slightly higher in men than women.

Since blood levels of this substance vary by disease, the thought is that supplementation may help treat those diseases. Presently the Europeans are using SAM-e to treat conditions like depression and fibromyalgia.

What is the joint connection? Apparently animal studies have shown that SAM-e increases the production of chrondrocytes - cells that produce cartilage for the joints. There's also the studies that show SAM-e to promote the body's production of glutathione, an endogenous (made by the body) antioxidant.

I haven't read enough of the literature to know what to believe yet.

As for MSM, it is methylsulfonylmethane. It is extracted from trees. All I have seen (yet) is the claims on bottles of the stuff that it promotes healthy collagen. I'm still in the reference acquisition mode.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

One other comment.

There are lots of substances out there like SAM-e and MSM. I'm not making any statements one way or other about their effectiveness. But you will not find many U.S. doctors using them, nor will you ever see FDA approval. Why? Economics. You cannot patent a naturally occuring substance. So anyone can make the stuff. No drug company is going to pay for the F.D.A. trials if they can't have exclusive rights and turn a tidy profit. And so no drug company is going to buy the doctors free lunches to "educate them" on effective pharmacology using natural substances.

Laws have changed recently which allow many of these compounds to become available to consumers. Due to a very different process of medical education and research, the Europeans are leaders in the research and use of naturally occuring substances. But it's up to John Q. Public in the U.S. to find out which substances are useful (there are some) and which are useless - or worse.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”