Go Cornhuskers

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Go Cornhuskers

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm heading out for a 4 day weekend to visit our Nebraska Uechi bretheren. Have fun and be good. Write lots about toe kicks.
Bill Glasheen

Go Cornhuskers

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I just got back from a great, long weekend with David Lamb's Uechi group in Lincoln, Nebraska. I've seen David at the last 4 or so New England camps. I finally took him up on an invitation to visit and work with his dojo.

First of all, the folks at this club are great. David has a friendly, engaging personality. He first studied Tae Quon Do way back. His instructor switched to pan gai noon after David introduced him to this particular instructor. After the pan gai noon instructor left, David went his own way. David himself is a remarkable practitioner. He's an instructor at a local community college, and teaches Uechi on the side. In his spare time, he also teaches gymnastics. Three of his daughters are on the gymnastics team (2 scholarships) at Nebraska. Good genes here...and good training.

David has an eclectic band of students who are just as friendly and engaging as him. Those who have been to camp regularly may have met some of them. They like to have a good time too, but not in an excessive way. My activities included chatting while drinking brew, eating out at local restaurants, being educated on Nebraska Football, viewing Nebraska urban and rural (grassy plains and corn fields), laser tag, and soaking in a hot tub.

David has an incredible setup. I highly recommend folks consider this as a possible venue for a dojo. The owner of the gymnastics facility where David teaches offered to let David take his dojo there and teach on the "floor routine" stage. This is a really live floor. The entire floor has springs under it, and there is padding inbetween the plywood and the carpet surface. One can do dive rolls and falls with impunity. Balancing is just a tad more difficult, but that adds to the fun. Because of the fantastic quality of the floor, I was able to teach several 6 to 7 hour marathon sessions over the weekend. I was able to demonstrate lots of neat throwing applications in the kata. And there was plenty of energy left over for laser tag in the evening.

Going to the midwest? Put David on your itinerary and expect to have a Nebraska good time.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”