Famous People

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gene DeMambro

Famous People

Post by Gene DeMambro »

A lighter subject than a few of the recent ones:

Has anyone met any famous people, because of their martial arts travels? Not famous martial artists specifically, but any famous people. Has a movie star or a TV personality ever taken classes at your dojo? Did you happen to meet a professional athlete at a tournament, and found out he/she likes these events? I'm sure Sensei Mattson and the senior instructors have a few stories to relay in this regard.

Just curious,
Gene
Bill Glasheen

Famous People

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Can't say that I have a hoard of these. But there are a few notable events.

Back in the latter seventies, I had this photography instructor from the UVa Architecture school take my class for a semester. After one semester, he then asked two of us (Mack Fisher and I) to pose for a day of photographs. We did it, and signed a model release form that allowed him to do what he wanted with the photos. Well...at least they're not as bad as those photos with the 13-year-old girls on the beach... About 5 years later I'm watching a sporting event, and I see this commercial that says Scott Barrow, world famous sports photographer speaks for Cannon cameras. I about fell out of my chair when I saw it. Haven't seen him since then.

In the eighties and early nineties, I had this Catholic fellow with about eleven kids bring half his litter to a karate club we opened in downtown Charlottesville. For the longest time, his family was the club. He and his oldest son successfully tested for shodan in a visit to Richmond in the early nineties. Later on I discover that he became a personal bodyguard for Kluge who used to be the richest man in the world. Then his wife divorced him. And Patricia Kluge - former nude model, former "companion" of the single governor of the state, and present member of the board of UVa (now how did she get that position...er....appointment?) is another whole soap opera. Anyhow, Barry's still protecting and doing fine. And Bill Gates (not divorced yet) is now the richest man.
Allen M.

Famous People

Post by Allen M. »

I wonder if Andre Tippet of the New England Patriots would be categorized as a professional athelete. He was quite a popular football star during his day. Although he has retired from being a football player, last I heard he was still active behind the scenes.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Sochin

Famous People

Post by Sochin »

I've met O'Sensei Richard Kim, Professor Remy Pressas, Eric and Henry Lee of Hwrang Do fame but no entertainment icons...

------------------
Ted T.
The Fighting Old Man

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”