Different veiws

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gary Santaniello

Different veiws

Post by Gary Santaniello »

This past year i have the opportunity to visit dojo's of new found friends who i enjoy visiting. I have also worked out with people that have good skills of whom i respect.

I listen to instructors teach and sometimes converse afterwards in opinions which i believe to be a good thing however, occassionally i find some holding true to their veiws only.
Although i believe that there is something to learn from everyone (in most cases) i feel that some put limitations on "expanding" their own knowledge. Due to the belief that the way it was taught to them is "the way" or unless a higher rank says it's so, it has no validity.

There are things that not all instructors know. As i have found that by going here and there, many differences exsist in interprentation.
I find that the more ways one "opens the mind" to, the more versitile one becomes. Then he/she can deside on "prefference".

Certainly because a person skilled in one art sees somthing in another, does not mean it isn't there. I feel very fortunate that i am now able to "expand" through others be it in jujistsu, kyusho or other uechiryu instructors.

"Open minds open doors" (Evan P.) yes.
It would be good for people to consider it, as even those who say they aren't closed minded, sometimes are.

Sensei Mattson has shown me how seeing things from different perspectives can be an advantage.

Martial art is a "unified" way of teaching whereas everyone is exactly the same in movement (and possibly in thought) and yes, it is neccesary to teach it that way however, at higher levels we should be expanding beyond the rigid "limitations'.

Not "change" our art/style simply understand it in various applicable ways.

Dan Kumite: Can be done linear, returning to original position, posting after each set of movements. As demonstration in testing. Also it can be done in a continuos circular movement not stopping between sets. One may experiment with added "finish-up" movements, such as locks, chokes, takedowns or an added strike to a K.O.
point. No longer Dan Kumite ? Limits are set upon oneself. Just one example.

What are your thoughts ?

------------------
Gary S.
mikemurphy

Different veiws

Post by mikemurphy »

Gary-san,

Great topic and some good thoughts. This seems to be in line with a conversation we had about a week ago.

I agree with you that you must have an open mind and learn from other people's perspective so that you can form your own. That's what it is all about. Budo, in my opinion is about letting the art(s) meld with the individual and not having a "carved-in-stone" type of style. In order to perfect the technique, it must "agree" with you, and in order for it to "agree" with you, your body must accept the movement as natural. And we all know that what is natural to one, is not necessarily natural to another.

That point aside, I must say to you that I believe that people can go too far. The basics are not just a tool for the beginner student, they are a tool for everyone. Why is it that whenever I take a seminar or class from Sensei Mattson, Any of the seniors at the Summer Camp, or Sensei Sato (Jujitsu) that stress the fundamentals in their class? Why can't they simply have a class in "advanced" techniques? The answer is in the paradox. The simple techniques are the advanced techniques.

I (as you now know)always tell my students not to worry about the advanced movements; instead, to concentrate on the simple things, because one will correct the other. Even for us black belts!

Even if you do not subscribe to this theory, you must agree that in order to improve, you must frequently go back to the basics (i.e. Sanchin). That is why I wouldn't let my "openess" flow into Sanchin (as per our onversation). In other words, my Sanchin continues to improve the more I work on it (at least I hope it does), but I don't open it up for interpretation like the other kata.
I know this contradicts what you think and many others as well, however, like professional athletes who must return to the basics every now and then, Uechi-ka must be able to go back and "refresh."

Just my thoughts,

Mike

PS, Where were you on Wednesday, we missed you (yes, we were nasty things to each other again)
Bill Glasheen

Different veiws

Post by Bill Glasheen »

At the University of Virginia, people often spoke of "tradition". Invariably they were invoking Him (Thomas Jefferson). A classic line in any school paper editiorial would be "Old T.J. would roll in his grave if...." Invariably it was a self-serving arguement designed to defend indefensible status quo. And invariably the individual showed him/herself to be completely ignorant of Thomas Jefferson the revolutionary.

We must not copy their methods, we must copy their thinking.

Why is it that these controversial figures that some quietly disparage spend so much more time on basics? The answer is simple. The art is in what you do. It is where many of the superficial differences lie. The underlying principles show you how you do it. If you understand the how, then your "what" and my "what" can agree perfectly even if they appear radically different on the surface. Those who don't understand that are not yet masters. But...give them time and a chance.

Do most people really understand what is meant by All is in sanchin? For most, these words are mere dogma. Every time I come back to that statement, it means something more to me.

I had a favorite paradigm-shifting activity I did when I had the $10K mat. Each Thursday night I would spend the first hour of class teaching another art - ususally aikido. I would get up, demonstrate a move, and then tell people to get a partner and practice. After about 10 minutes giving people a chance to figure this new technique out for themselves, I would then grab several "examples" for the rest of class to watch. Then my comment would usually be something like Tell me what you know about sanchin that can help them make that technique work better. What principles are they violating?

One cannot understand our system by operating in automatic pilot. Gary's journey is one of many productive paths that can be taken to find the polished gem within the rough stones that we practitioners possess.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 10-22-99).]
David Elkins

Different veiws

Post by David Elkins »

One realization that I've had (too little/ too late as usual) is that systems occasionally work because they are systems.

That is to say that however different the concepts may be from those with which we are familiar (read comfortable), they work if the system is not diluted/adulterated by that which we may consider "correct." Would Taiji work if it were performed in Sanchin?

Re: venerable Master Uechi Kanbun. My Wing Chun brother was pestering a senior visiting from the U.K. about the relative structure of Fook Sau "bridging hand." When his patience had been exhausted by my friend's silly questions, the sehing said "just fookin' hit him!" I like to think that master Uechi was that kind of person. The oft quoted "All is in Sanchin" statement suggests that he was.

------------------
Good training,
David

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”